User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Ummmmmmm..... you forgot the weight per mile tax of .1316 cents per mile traveled as determined by ODOT.....
No I didn't. You have to pay that no matter how you deal with the state. You either pay it each trip via a trip permit, or you pay via monthly or quarterly filings. In any case, that portion is a wash...everyone pays the same amount so it has no bearing on the cost analysis. What matters is the unique cost associated with each type of payment arrangement; bond cost, permit fee, etc.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Here is a helpful site. Motor Carrier Transportation FAQ - Truck Taxes and Fees

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
No I didn't. You have to pay that no matter how you deal with the state. You either pay it each trip via a trip permit, or you pay via monthly or quarterly filings. In any case, that portion is a wash...everyone pays the same amount so it has no bearing on the cost analysis. What matters is the unique cost associated with each type of payment arrangement; bond cost, permit fee, etc.
You are correct, and I agree that we at best break even on a yearly permit versus getting a trip permit every time we need to run in Oregon. We probably lose $50 a year or so when you look at the $200 annual bond fee and $15 yearly permit fee as opposed to forgoing the annual permit and the required bond and just getting a trip permit on an as needed basis. I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of capital to gain a lot of convenience. To me, it is a bigger hassle to apply for the trip permit each time I need one than it is to maintain an annual permit and pay the bond fee. Now that I have learned that Oregon will accept an irrevocable letter of credit in lieu of the bond, it will actually be cheaper AND easier to maintain the annual permit. :thumbsup:
Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
Yes you did..... you simply stated it is a 9 buck pass fee.. If I actually cared, I would go to your post and quote your as per the norm inaccurate info.....

The inaccurate info posted in this topic by those that are not incorporated or base plated in orygun is laughable........:roll:
Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Yes you did..... you simply stated it is a 9 buck pass fee.. If I actually cared, I would go to your post and quote your as per the norm inaccurate info.....

The inaccurate info posted in this topic by those that are not incorporated or base plated in orygun is laughable........:roll:

So, you are saying that if you are not incorporated or base plated in Oregon that you don't know anything about paying road use taxes in the state?

I should point out to you that regardless of whether you are incorporated or not and whether you base your business in Oregon or not you still pay road use taxes for ALL miles you run in the state.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

That is not what I "simply stated." I'll save you the trouble. My exact words were...

Takes me 2 minutes and costs an EXTRA $9 per permit which is good for 7-10 days (I can't remember exactly) which is plenty long for a round-trip. If your bond is going to cost you $200 a year, you'd have to make 23 trips before you saved any money.

By definition, "extra" means more than usual or necessary. Since everybody must pay the weight/distance tax, no matter how they pay or file, THAT is what is usual or necessary and therefore irrelevant in a cost analysis. Even if you completely overlooked that fact, a simple calculation using the figures given would yield the same conclusion.

I simply gave people a little credit regarding rudimentary reading comprehension and knowledge by not filling up a post with minutia.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Okay, check this out… “they” say there is no such thing as coincidence.

A couple of days after we went back out on the road, I get a call from my secretary (father actually, but I like kidding him about forcing him to wear a skirt and thus appointed him Secretary in my LLC) who opens all business mail when I’m gone. I got a letter from the Oregon Department of Transportation informing me that the bond requirement had been dropped for us. I never even applied for this to be done… and after all the arguing and nastiness my little thread seemed to instigate… WOW!!!

Now if they will only let me file quarterly :thumbsup: