User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Shop recommendations for oil changes

I'm headed across I-10 this week from Florida to California, and I need to get an oil change on the truck done. For the first time since I bought the truck, I'm contemplating going outside of the dealership to have it done. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced shop to get it done at? I'm leery of stopping at any of the national truck stop chains to get it done, and have heard horror stories from people who have stopped at Speedco (everything from them not adding enough oil, to them stripping out the drain plug or putting the wrong brand of oil in).
Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

I've used Speedco almost exclusively, simply for the convenience. I've never had an issue with their oil changes (their tire work has cost me two tires, but they made it right). Like anywhere else, keep an eye on them. They do tend to over fill. They like to fill then have you run the engine and then top it off. I've also used Petro a time or two. Other than not having one of my filters in stock, they were fine. Danny's in Phoenix is fine too.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
Danny's in Phoenix is fine too.
I like Danny's, and I had contemplated them. I just called them, and their prices seem pretty reasonable.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have used Speedco at several locations and never had a problem, although the last time I felt their prices were a bit high. That was in El Paso. I have used Danny's before and never had a problem with them. Sometimes you can get a good price at some of the TA's or Flying J shops. I had mine changed in Carlyle, PA at the Flying J the other day. I don't completely trust any of them. I always stand with my truck to make sure that they grease all the fittings. I don't think it makes much difference with any of them as long as they are reasonable.

There is an independent shop that I have used in El Paso. I don't remember the name. They are locaated on the street across from the Petro. In fact they are about 1 block from the Petro. They were pretty reasonable on some other repair work that I had done. It is family owned and operated. When you get off the freeway go south as though you are going to the Petro fuel island. Instead of turning right to go into the Petro you turn left and they are a block on the left. You should see the shop as soon as you make your turn. You can't miss them. I don't know what they charge for oil changes.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is a Petro II that I have also used in El Paso. As I recall they did a good job. I usually prefer independents over the chains. They are often more conciencious and reasonable than the big boys.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Default oil change

B-Line Lube (281)375-5400 7:00am – 11:00pm
34011 Katy Freeway Monday – Friday (I 10 just west of Houston)
Brookshire, TX 77423
I've used these guys and have been happy. I do my own 99% of the time. $peedco just to pricey.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

This is not for when you are on the road but we now use a mobile fleet company. That is they come to our yard with this truck with all types of tanks on it (full of what I have no idea) and they change it right in the yard.

For Detroits they charge $159 plus tax and they lube the trailer too at no extra costs. You can't beat that.

On the road I use Speedco and the T/A. But I prefer now to always have it done in the yard. Probbly most major city has companies like this.

We also no have another company btw, that comes with a van and does truck and trailer alignments right in the yard too.

He's got some fancy computer stuff in the van. I forget the price but very reasonable. Plus after a while these people appreciate the constant work and take care of you.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Board Icon

I have no terminal. I only have my driveway, and with my house on the market, I try to spend as little time there as possible.

I'm gonna end up getting it done at Danny's, if only for the reason that they are open on Labor Day.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Board Regular

I always used , at least for the past 3 times on my volvo the speedco in el paso tx.They seem to know their job pretty well.This time i missed them, because of time and i'll have the oil change at danny's here in phoenix too.But mostly i try to have it done in el paso at spedco.