LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Are you riding a bicycle?
Sometimes going uphill it sure feels like it!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:07 AM
Rookie

Well see what happens when diesel goes up like it has been is that the surcharges lag the uptick which will put alot more weak carriers out of business. When fuel dropped this past year, it kept alot of weak players in the game.

I don't like CH Robinson, more cheap rates than not. Every so often you'll get a good rate here and there out of em' but you pretty much gotta be in the right place at the right time. Most times it's like pulling teeth.

Like I said previous, I pulled for $1.50/mile in 1975 and I made $32,000 as a companyman for Schneider Transport in 1978. I'd have to make $96,000 drivin truck to make the same money I did back then. Them days are long gone never ever to return again.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Rookie

Tombestonebilly, sir I believe you may be right, it is going to be like every other blue collar job in America, I was a union carpenter back in the late seventies and eighties in VA. We mostly built bridges, power plants and tall buildings, VA came up with the right to work laws and put most of us out of work. They brought in guys that were getting paid half of what we were making which ended up putting a lot of us out of work. I will not work for nothing, wether it is hanging off a form some 150 ft in the air or driving my truck down the interstate. I refuse to haul CHEAP a** freight period. So I guess I will set back and get some fishing in and we will see what happens.

JUST SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT

Last edited by scooter777; 06-20-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There have been those who have thought that it would be a great idea for owner operators to have a union. What they don't realize is that an owner operator is an independent businessman. A union won't do anything to help him, but take his dues. I think much of the problem lies with those who buy a truck who have no business sense. They don't know what it takes to run a successful business. It seems difficult for some to get past the idea that they are no longer a driver but a businessman when they buy a truck. You cannot operate a truck for a drivers wage and survive in this business. When people have bills to pay they will do anything necessary to survive, that includes running for cheap rates. It makes it difficult for those of us who think that we need to make a profit when we take a load.

You mentioned working in construction and going from good wages under a union and cheap wages without one. You may recall a bridge in Oklahoma on I-40 that collapsed a few years ago. It was rebuilt in a matter of a few weeks well under the planned completion date. The contractor and I am sure the workers were given a bonus for every day they were able to shorten the time. It was finished before the deadline and the contractor received his bonus. Performance pay works. I only wish it could be translated into all work. It would reward those who work hardest.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There have been those who have thought that it would be a great idea for owner operators to have a union. What they don't realize is that an owner operator is an independent businessman. A union won't do anything to help him, but take his dues. I think much of the problem lies with those who buy a truck who have no business sense. They don't know what it takes to run a successful business. It seems difficult for some to get past the idea that they are no longer a driver but a businessman when they buy a truck. You cannot operate a truck for a drivers wage and survive in this business. When people have bills to pay they will do anything necessary to survive, that includes running for cheap rates. It makes it difficult for those of us who think that we need to make a profit when we take a load.
Well said! 100% agreed!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Gman, you are right, I am not for or against unions, I think a union might be good for some industries and not good for others........bringing up bonuses....I think the 14 years I was in the union there were only a handful of jobs we worked on that did not offer a bonus for early completion or on time completion. The problem was that these big construction companies could now start hiring anybody off the streets, pay them half of our wages and give them no percentage of the bonuses. Not only did this effect us it also had an effect on the quality of work being performed, that is one of the main reasons I got out when I did. The same thing is happening in the trucking industry now, it is being flooded with guys that just don't know how to be a business owner and it shows in the amount of this cheap freight that is being hauled. Why pay more when you can get it done for nothing, same with building that bridge, why pay more when you can get it done for nothing......the only bad effect that will come of this is poor workmanship. But hey we got it done in record time.....who cares about the quality of work that was preformed.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not sure that completing a bridge construction project early will actually affect the quality or not. There have been numerous other jobs where projects have taken much longer, ran over budget and still not been of high quality. American workers used to take pride in their workmanship. It had nothing to belonging to a union. In fact, I think the quality of union workers have steadily gone down for decades. If high wages are the means to tell whether someone will do a quality job, then union projects and workers should be the most productive in the world. Instead, non union workers seem to out perform them at most levels. You can check non union auto manufacturing plants to see the difference.

It should not make any difference what you do for a living or what you are paid as far as doing a quality job is concerned. If you take pride in yourself and what you do then you will be rewarded for your efforts. It amazes me as I talk with people as to how many expect to be paid top wage without any experience or qualifications. They don't want to have to prove their worth. They expect to be paid top wages and then they may decide to produce at a high level. That is one of the main reasons this country has lost it's productive edge, as evidenced by GM and Chrysler. A company cannot continue to pay higher and higher wages and benefits without receiving higher levels of productivity. It doesn't work. If a worker does his best and often more than is expected then he will be rewarded. He will stand above the frey when it comes time to cut backs or lay offs. He is the one who will forge ahead during difficult times and push his company into the black. He is the one who will be in demand and receive the raises, not because of union demands but because he has earned them.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Rookie

I think you have missed the point I was trying to make.......it has nothing to do with unions. It has a lot to do with pay. I am sorry but with my experience and quality of workmanship I am not working for nothing........just like I am not going to run freight if it is not profitable. Sorry but I believe in getting paid for what I think I am worth or I don't work for you or pull your freight. Union or not. And you are so right in quality of workmanship these days, have you walked into a new house these days. It is sad to say the least. It doesn't matter if it is a $600,000 or a $100,000 house the quality is just not there anymore.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Board Regular

Does anyone here draw any connection between the demise of the Teamsters Union in the trucking industry and the current low wages enjoyed by drivers?

Just curious.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree that people should be paid what they are worth, scooter. If more people would hold out for a decent rate then those cheap rates would become a thing of the past. Where you may hold out there are way too many who are either unable or unwilling to hold out for a better rate. If you want to see what has happened to quality, go to any Walmart and check out their furniture. Much of it is either plastic or particle board. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find quality most anywhere you go. Of course, it is the consumer who dictates what is offered in the marketplace. People demanded cheaper prices so that is the way that they got them. My wife still has a bedroom suite that she got when she was young. It is still in great shape and will likely last for many more decades. My niece has a dining room set that belonged to my grandmother. I don't know how old it is but it is likely well over 75 years old and could be as much as 100 years old. It still looks good. True craftsmanship doesn't come cheap. I wonder how many people are actually willing to pay for good craftsmanship today?

The other side to demanding a higher wage or rate is to deliver a superior service or product. I have never been a proponent of selling on price. If the only thing you have to sell is a cheap price then you have nothing to sell. You will keep the business until someone else comes along with a little cheaper price. Those who sell a quality service will do much better in the long run and even if a customer leaves for a cheaper price it is more likely they will return when they find that they cannot receive the same level of service from the cheap vendor.