User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
I do 40, every morning, what extras can i have?
Sorry about your luck! But you know, how they said;-One door closed,.....
40!? Really!? I can't lie, I've kind of let things go since I picked up this truck 3 years ago- I'm actually that fat ass I was talking about. I still run, however, 30 minutes at a pop. My problem is that it has to be warm outside or I'm not doing it.

Right on! Thank you, Solo. Actually, and particularly through a weekly letter a pastor/prophet in South Carolina writes, I've sensed the Lord calling me back to the church.

What I mean to say is this, I knew something about what I've been doing has needed to change, but I didn't know how. With some debt I have to pay off, and the monthly bills, and the economy the way it is, I wasn't really interested in taking a lot of time off and certainly not up and quitting.

So now, I've got my time off. I can do my spiritual 'check up from the neck up', and we'll just see what else is out there work-wise.

Last May, my company spent thousands to turn me into a tanker yanker. To think, they'd just give up now something they spent so much money to make only 9 months ago. Now, I've got the equipment. Now, I've got the experience. Now, I have a track record with them- on time, no spills or accidents, dont fart in public (purposely, anyway). I do tend to run my mouth on message boards, though, don't I?

Anyway, they'll eventually end up trying to keep me or I think we can call it a sign of the times- things have radically changed.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Talking

Just make sure and play hard to get when they do call you begging you to return. They may have exercised their right to terminate you as stated in the contract you had with them(don't know, just guessing) only to offer you a new contract that allows them to compete better with the other carriers in whatever business you are in. Maybe a new contract with lower rates, no pay for no work clauses and the like.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

We were a select few of power units on the new mileage pay program. There were about 50 of us compared to a fleet of about 3000.

I know freight is slow and most affiliates are more interested in keeping their own people busy more than they are in taking on drivers, but man, I even have the blackberry! It doesn't get any cheaper for an affiliate to take on a proven O/O than those of us coming out of this "terminal".

I don't know. It could be many things. Maybe they'll offer me something new, maybe they'll start cutting percentage drivers from the affiliates. There isn't much to negotiate, though. Either they'll offer the contract the other O/Os have or they won't.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
Just make sure and play hard to get when they do call you begging you to return. They may have exercised their right to terminate you as stated in the contract you had with them(don't know, just guessing) only to offer you a new contract that allows them to compete better with the other carriers in whatever business you are in. Maybe a new contract with lower rates, no pay for no work clauses and the like.

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:
Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
Really!? Wal-Mart and McDonalds stock have been going up. If I had some money, I'd think about Dollar General stock.

With the end of the American middle class, the rich will make their money selling things that poor people buy....OUCH!...I'm not entirely kidding, though.
Dollar General was taken private by KKR, a venture capital firm, that means their stock is no longer publicly traded, they bought all the shares.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
After they terminated guys in Charlotte!?
apparently

Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Except Chicago. they put on a O/O and a company driver last week.

In Chicago's defense, I would say they are a much busier terminal than Charlotte is, and as far as company trucks, it is HIS company, however there have been quite a few company drivers leave in Nitro WV, I believe 4 or 5 already.

Tough times ahead, no doubt.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc View Post
Dollar General was taken private by KKR, a venture capital firm, that means their stock is no longer publicly traded, they bought all the shares.
Hmpf...that's interesting. Do you remember when those stores started to pop up? They look a little ratty but you could sure get some staples at a cheap price- now, they're everywhere.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Hmpf...that's interesting. Do you remember when those stores started to pop up? They look a little ratty but you could sure get some staples at a cheap price- now, they're everywhere.
I shop there quite a bit, I can tell you one thing, they need to open much larger stores.

History of Dollar General