User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have been unemployed for a while now. at least thats what it's like. I pulled 2 loads last week & didnt even bother to pick my check up. waited till I had 2 more loads this week. there have been some time where I didnt get a load all week. I had offers but none worth taking. I will not take a load 6 -7 hundred miles, then sit for 1-3 days to get something out. by sitting anywhere for long, a driver will take anything just to get home. if I'M going to go broke, I'm going to go broke sitting at home, not running the roads. lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
The terminal manager in Charlotte over hired, Ron Dana got tired of the phone calls from the drivers so he made the terminal manager make it right, more in Charlotte SHOULD have been let go, and more still might. Some throughout the company have left on their own for "greener" pastures, there have been no new hires lately.

The guy in Charlotte for some reason wants to be the biggest Dana terminal in the system, the work just isn't there, not now and not ever, Charlotte just isn't a chemical hot spot, like say Jersey,Charleston WV or Houston.

Office help in Charlotte were let go also.

All of our terminals are slow, work is very hit and miss, don't know when it will pick up, a lot depends on the auto industry, that's where most of the chemicals end up, since there isn't much manufacturing left in this country other than automotive.
Thanks Maniac. It really helps to know what's out there, including where NOT to look. Landstar jacked up my DAC report, "unsatisfactory safety record", so it's no wonder Dana didn't take me on last fall. I called and they changed it, though I need to get another one to find out what it says now. FTR- the ticket that caused it was dismissed, my safety record was better than people now in their employment, and my MVR is spotless- I just felt the need to say that.

This is really serious, I mean the economy. Anyone who hasn't heard the show Glenn Beck did today about the realistic ramifications of what is going on probably ought to check it out. No doubt, it'll be on Youtube soon.

Me, I just need one little bitty job...it could be in Alaska, I like an adventure anyway.

Last edited by lowrange; 02-20-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Rookie
Thumbs down

unenjoyment duz what a vacuum duz or the wind in that case, dont become a trucker haulin dry freight, we been sittin around alot lately.......course our planners suck donkey <insert word here> too
Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
This is really serious

I know it is, that is why I told marcel in another post not to be job hopping, now is NOT a good time, of course you really didn't have any input with your situation, BTW if it happened to me the way it went with you they wouldn't be able to hold the phone in their hand, AND they would see a bad face to face confrontation.

I think they could at least offered a chance to switch over to percentage, after all they "invested" in YOUR training, what a bunch of dumb *****es, it's what happens when "suits" run trucking companies.

Don't know if Superior is hiring or not, might be worth a try, I know Dana isn't. Or maybe a food grade outfit out of Fla, you do live in Fla......? right.

Food grade isn't great, but its work, and they are moving.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I know Dana isn't.
Except Chicago. they put on a O/O and a company driver last week. issedoff:

Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I know it is, that is why I told marcel in another post not to be job hopping, now is NOT a good time, of course you really didn't have any input with your situation, BTW if it happened to me the way it went with you they wouldn't be able to hold the phone in their hand, AND they would see a bad face to face confrontation.

I think they could at least offered a chance to switch over to percentage, after all they "invested" in YOUR training, what a bunch of dumb *****es, it's what happens when "suits" run trucking companies.

Don't know if Superior is hiring or not, might be worth a try, I know Dana isn't. Or maybe a food grade outfit out of Fla, you do live in Fla......? right.

Food grade isn't great, but its work, and they are moving.
Ah, there's nothing to say, I don't think. Under the current conditions, this contract was too good to be true. I really wondered if I'd have work after Christmas and was pleasantly surprised. I don't know why they didn't offer me a percentage contract-yet. They still could, they haven't said anything to me about mailing them my plate, fuel card, and we haven't reached an agreement on the equipment.

I've still got the place in Florida- a Florida CDL, in fact. Where's the work!? That's what I don't know. Food grade sounds good, about as depression proof as it gets. I see this sight is still advertising a lot of jobs. I don't know, I'll just have to see. I'd like to try to find a company that isn't going to say to me in three months, 'gee guy, it's been nice knowing you, but...'
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Except Chicago. they put on a O/O and a company driver last week. issedoff:
After they terminated guys in Charlotte!?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to hear about your company, lowrange. Since that is off your record at Landstar you could possibly go back with them, although I don't think that they are doing any better than the rest of the industry right now. I have heard some carriers have hiring freezes on owner operators and company drivers. There is no need to hire more people if you can't keep those already on the payroll busy. I am sure you will find something if things don't work out at your company.

Oh by the way, could I get that super sized?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I am sorry to hear about your company, lowrange. Since that is off your record at Landstar you could possibly go back with them, although I don't think that they are doing any better than the rest of the industry right now. I have heard some carriers have hiring freezes on owner operators and company drivers. There is no need to hire more people if you can't keep those already on the payroll busy. I am sure you will find something if things don't work out at your company.

Oh by the way, could I get that super sized?
If you can do 20 push ups you can have extra fries, Gman.

Yeah, we'll see. Everyone has to think about the strength of their Carrier and how much monthly income they HAVE TO HAVE to keep it together. I was good on this last score- low monthly bills- willing to spend months on the road if that's what it takes- I just wasn't ready for my company to say 'we're closing your terminal, if you can find another one, more power to you'. I guess I always knew this was my achilles heel, I looovvveeeedddd being insulated from the low rates and being paid handsomely to sit.

We'll see what else is out there, my truck or theirs. Cents per mile or percentage. I want to try to avoid being like those guys who went to Dana and were laid off the same month.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
If you can do 20 push ups you can have extra fries
I do 40, every morning, what extras can i have?
Sorry about your luck! But you know, how they said;-One door closed,.....