User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 04:26 AM
BANNED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post

Why stop in LaGrande if you can go to Troutdale and eat at Shari's? Best coffee ever and the food is way better than any Flying J.
My office and yard is a few miles from Troutdale....:lol: Sharis is better than the Hook, but as highschoolers Sharis was the hangout after the parties...:lol:

I take it you have not had a Pot Roast Sandwich from the la grande hook ???
Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
My office and yard is a few miles from Troutdale....:lol: Sharis is better than the Hook, but as highschoolers Sharis was the hangout after the parties...:lol:

I take it you have not had a Pot Roast Sandwich from the la grande hook ???
I've eaten there a couple of times, but I have not sampled the pot roast sandwich. I really am not a fan of eating at any of the J's, and only do so to use up our coupons that cost as much as $2k for a $5 coupon. We do love Shari's though, especially their high octane coffee.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I've eaten there a couple of times, but I have not sampled the pot roast sandwich. I really am not a fan of eating at any of the J's, and only do so to use up our coupons that cost as much as $2k for a $5 coupon. We do love Shari's though, especially their high octane coffee.
The la grande J is a franchise. The restaurant is old school mom and pop place, many locals eat there cause the food is good.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
The la grande J is a franchise. The restaurant is old school mom and pop place, many locals eat there cause the food is good.
I know it's a franchise... it's pretty obvious, and the food I've had there has generally been better than standard Hook grub.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

don't have to wait for 5 motore homes to get outa the way.

I myself have never waited for a motor home in the truck diesel island.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
don't have to wait for 5 motore homes to get outa the way. I myself have never waited for a motor home in the truck diesel island.
I wondered about that myself, but was afraid to ask.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Flying J doesn't seem to care about the trucking business. Some of that could be coming from so much of the vandalism I see at many of their stores. I have seen their service continue to decline over the last decade. There was a time when they seemed to really care about our business. Now they mostly seem to want the RV business. With the economic slump that may change, especially with the reorganization.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
don't have to wait for 5 motore homes to get outa the way.

I myself have never waited for a motor home in the truck diesel island.

I have had to wait before, but it has been awhile.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
the best food is by far many mom and pops types. Uncle pete's and shenandoah are two that come to mind right off the top of my head
oh yeah, def the mom and pops are best.. there's a restaurant in az at i-10 mp 94 i believe, tonopah that serves up great steaks.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There are still a handful of Flying J's that will take Comdata. These are franchise stores mostly in the Northwest. I don't believe any of the corporate stores take Comdata. There are several fuel cards that may be used at Flying J, such as T-Check and EFS. Fleetone is not taken at Flying J, at least at the corporate stores. As I recall, Flying J stopped taking Comdata because they were charging both Flying J and the carrier's a fee each time it was used.
To settle the question regarding Flying J and Comdata's falling out, below is an excerpt from an article on Flying J's history:

"The company, which had begun marketing to national trucking fleets in the early 1990s, was also getting into the credit business, promoting its own fuel transaction card, a position that led to a conflict with Comdata, one of the leading credit transaction processors for the trucking industry. When Comdata and Flying J began negotiating to renew their contract, Comdata pressured Flying J to stop promoting its own card. Flying J refused, announcing that its travel centers would no longer accept Comdata's Comcheck card, and began encouraging customers to switch to its own or other third party cards; the break was complete when Comdata announced that it would no longer process transactions made at Flying J travel centers. With Comdata remaining a major supplier of credit transactions to the nation's trucking industry, the effect of the break on Flying J remained to be seen. Nonetheless, Adams told The Tennessean, "We're comfortable about life without Comdata." Indeed, Flying J's reputation among its customers in both the trucking industry and the general motoring public appeared solid."

The link to the full article is here: Flying J Inc. -- Company History

Below is an excerpt from the ruling on one of the appeals resulting from Flying J's litigation:

"This appeal is the latest episode in a lengthy antitrust suit brought by Plaintiffs Flying J, Inc., TCH, L.L.C., CFJ Properties, TON Services, Inc., and CFJ (collectively "Flying J") against Defendant Comdata Network, Inc. ("Comdata"). The underlying lawsuit, filed in 1996, arose out of Comdata's alleged monopolization of two product markets related to the U.S. truck stop industry. In May 2001, after nearly five years of discovery and pretrial motions, the parties entered into a settlement agreement. Comdata agreed to pay $49 million in damages and grant Flying J two licenses intended to open the markets at issue. Conflict soon resumed, however, when the parties could not agree about the meaning of one of the two licenses. Aggrieved by what it interpreted as Comdata's refusal to honor one of the licenses, Flying J filed a motion to enforce the settlement agreement in May 2002. The district court determined that Comdata had breached the settlement agreement and ordered Comdata to implement the license as interpreted by Flying J. Exercising jurisdiction under 28 U.S.C. § 1292(a), we REVERSE. In so doing, we emphasize that it is not our task to determine what would best remedy the underlying antitrust violation, but solely to interpret the agreement reached between the parties, in light of its plain language and the intent of the parties."

The link the complete ruling is here: 03-4262 -- Flying J Inc. v. Comdata Network Inc. -- 04/13/2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I seem to recall that Flying J sold out to the Arabs.
I can't find any irrefutable proof, but from everything I have been able to find, the J is not owned by Arabs.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-28-2008 at 06:49 AM.