User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Seven Feathers, I-5 Exit 99, Canyonville, OR is very good as well as Romine's Truck Stop, recently taken over by TA, located on I-80, Exit 112 in Illinois are two of the very best. Not sure how long it will take TA to destroy Romine's, but it is sure to happen.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Flying J does not accept Comdata or other fuel cards because they do not want to have to pay the fee associated with those cards. They use TCH, which is owned by Flying J. They (other truck stops, because the J quit allowing this completely at the commercial diesel fuel islands) also (illegally, I believe) charge more for fuel being purchased with a credit card because the credit cards charge merchants a fee based on a percentage of the purchase. These fees are customarily 1.5% to 3% of the total purchase price. When fuel was $4.50 a gallon, that would cost the truck stop as much as $33.75 for one 250 gallon fill up. The J stopped accepting credit cards completely because of proposed lawsuits by OOIDA and others, because the credit card companies (specifically Master Card) make their merchants sign agreements that state that the merchant will not charge credit card customers any more than cash paying customers.
The only fuel card that is not accepted by Flying J, as far as I know, is Comdata. I've seen both EFS and T-check used. The fued between Flying J and Comdata started years back. And, more recently, T/A has joined the fray and refused to accept TCH.

Back in about the mid '90s, Comdata decided to charge the driver an extra dollar on all transactions. Flying J said that the driver was already being charged enough and in protest, refused to accept Comdata. Over a few years, Comdata was negotiating with Flying J and thought they were nearing an agreement so that Flying J would accept the card again, and Flying J came out with the TCH card. When that happened, it made Flying J a competitor and Comdata will no longer permit their card to be used at a J. A Comdata rep told me that if they allowed the cards to be used at Flying Js, Comdata would no longer be in business.

Over they years, their fued reminds me of a couple of kids in a schoolyard. The "hard-on" they have for each other makes me think someone on both sides of the issue is immature.

And, as to the food, I've done a lot of eating at a J. I tend to get far better service than at a T/A, and it ranks far above a Pilot or Loves. Some of the places I do like to eat are at Wilderness Crossing, junction of US-45 and WI-29 at Wittenberg, WI. The 51 Truck stop north of Wausau, WI, and Abbeyland Truck stop at Curtis, WI, exit 127 (I think) of WI-29.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
And, more recently, T/A has joined the fray and refused to accept TCH.
Not anymore. J & TCH sued TA and won. Go to the following link to read more: http://www.tatravelcenters.com/Files..._%20050108.pdf
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I always liked the J. I always pay cash for fuel & the J was almost always the lowest price. as far as low oil prices being a reason for the financial trouble... after the huge rise over the last few years, you would think that would be enough to off set the low price now, wich has just been here for a few months now. the showers were i.m.o. cleaner than other truck stops. the J-TA & PETRO were always packed , so i guess they all did somethings right for some drivers. everyone has there favorite
Old 12-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
I always liked the J. I always pay cash for fuel & the J was almost always the lowest price. as far as low oil prices being a reason for the financial trouble... after the huge rise over the last few years, you would think that would be enough to off set the low price now, wich has just been here for a few months now. the showers were i.m.o. cleaner than other truck stops. the J-TA & PETRO were always packed , so i guess they all did somethings right for some drivers. everyone has there favorite
What happened with The J, is that like most large companies these days, they regularly took out short term loans to keep business flowing. These loans were based on the value of the assets of Flying J. Since Flying J not only owns its own refinery and pipeline, it also holds many tens of thousands of acres of oil rich property, the loans they were getting were mostly based on the value of the company’s oil reserves. Think of the difference in value of 100 million barrels of crude oil reserves at $148 a barrel as compared to the same estimated value if the oil is worth (or selling for in this case) $38 a barrel. The same loan companies that six months ago wouldn’t have batted an eye at lending The J $100 million (after all, they had oil reserves worth billions) today will not loan them the same money, because the company’s main asset (oil) is worth only a third of what it was.

Here’s the link detailing the problem: Falling oil, credit crunch trigger Flying J bankruptcy filing - Salt Lake Tribune

As for liking truck stops, I can’t stand any of them (the big chains, anyway) and do everything I can to ensure that they get as little of my money as possible. Most offer substandard food, service and merchandise at grossly inflated prices. I was just out on the road for six weeks and besides fuel, spent under $100 combined at truck stops. I’ve never managed a truck stop, but I have managed enough restaurants, convenience stores, etc. to know that I’m being ripped off every time I spend money in one of these places.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Flying J does not accept Comdata or other fuel cards because they do not want to have to pay the fee associated with those cards. They use TCH, which is owned by Flying J. They (other truck stops, because the J quit allowing this completely at the commercial diesel fuel islands) also (illegally, I believe) charge more for fuel being purchased with a credit card because the credit cards charge merchants a fee based on a percentage of the purchase. These fees are customarily 1.5% to 3% of the total purchase price. When fuel was $4.50 a gallon, that would cost the truck stop as much as $33.75 for one 250 gallon fill up. The J stopped accepting credit cards completely because of proposed lawsuits by OOIDA and others, because the credit card companies (specifically Master Card) make their merchants sign agreements that state that the merchant will not charge credit card customers any more than cash paying customers.

There are still a handful of Flying J's that will take Comdata. These are franchise stores mostly in the Northwest. I don't believe any of the corporate stores take Comdata. There are several fuel cards that may be used at Flying J, such as T-Check and EFS. Fleetone is not taken at Flying J, at least at the corporate stores. As I recall, Flying J stopped taking Comdata because they were charging both Flying J and the carrier's a fee each time it was used. Unless Flying J has recently stopped taking credit cards for fuel they still take them. They do charge a higher price for using a charge or debit card, but don't charge a fee for any of the fuel cards. Most fuel cards charge a flat fee per transaction. At one time Flying J only posted the cash price for fuel on their signage. They now make a distinction between cash and credit pricing. Customers would get irate when the paid for their fuel when Flying J added a fee to cover the credit card charges.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

FlyingJ basicaly said "If you wana use credit you have to use our credit card, TCH" and a lot of people like me said "Hu, you thinks so ?" "I can do whatever I want". Sure, fuel might be 1 cent a gallon more where I fuel but I picked it, and don't have to wait for 5 motore homes to get outa the way.
My last thought on FlyingJ !!!!!!!! Who is the only national truck stop that refuses to fly the American flag from it's flag pole !!!!!!!
FLYING J
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
FlyingJ basicaly said "If you wana use credit you have to use our credit card, TCH" and a lot of people like me said "Hu, you thinks so ?" "I can do whatever I want". Sure, fuel might be 1 cent a gallon more where I fuel but I picked it, and don't have to wait for 5 motore homes to get outa the way.
My last thought on FlyingJ !!!!!!!! Who is the only national truck stop that refuses to fly the American flag from it's flag pole !!!!!!!
FLYING J
We got tired of being treated like typhoid mary at the Hook..... There is only one that I will stop at, it is in LaGrande, OR . Pot Roast sandwiches !!!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There are still a handful of Flying J's that will take Comdata. These are franchise stores mostly in the Northwest. I don't believe any of the corporate stores take Comdata. There are several fuel cards that may be used at Flying J, such as T-Check and EFS. Fleetone is not taken at Flying J, at least at the corporate stores. .
There used to be one or two that would take Comdata somewhere east of the Mississippi, but I forget where. I know that The J has only filed Chapter 11, but I'm glad I have a FleetOne account just in case something happens with TCH or Flying J. Plus, having a FleetOne card gets you national account pricing on Bridgestones. Funny thing about FleetOne... I called them today to check what my weekly limit is, just in case I need to start using that card as my primary fuel card, and they would not raise the limit above $2500. My FICO scores with all three credit bureaus are above 750, but they said it was due to us only having one truck. When freight starts rolling again, we normally run 6k miles a week. I asked them what I should do when fuel goes back up to $4.50 plus a gallon and I hit my weekly limit after three days and two fill-ups. The CSR didn't seem to give two hoots about that potential problem… so much for OOIDA being out to help the little guy. One thing I can say about TCH is they bumped my weekly limit up to $10k without me asking and didn’t even bother telling me they did it.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
We got tired of being treated like typhoid mary at the Hook..... There is only one that I will stop at, it is in LaGrande, OR . Pot Roast sandwiches !!!
I make my wife go in to sign for fuel receipts. It often results in bad things if I have to go inside The J and they are being jackasses as usual.

Why stop in LaGrande if you can go to Troutdale and eat at Shari's? Best coffee ever and the food is way better than any Flying J.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-27-2008 at 03:39 AM.