User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dumb Question of the Day

Why 50 miles from a scale the radio comes to life with "Are the coops open?"

Are they going to stop or turn around if they are open?

Do they have to build their courage up before driving that 100 yards?

I asked this question back to someone who was asking and they called me a clown LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
Why 50 miles from a scale the radio comes to life with "Are the coops open?"

Are they going to stop or turn around if they are open?
Maybe I would want to know in advance if I needed to make a stop at a safe place to "catch up" on a few things.Or maybe the last alternate route is 50 miles away.

Quote:
Do they have to build their courage up before driving that 100 yards?
100 yards? I don't get it?

Quote:
I asked this question back to someone who was asking and they called me a clown LOL
I tried asking Sunday night for a good 20 miles if the I-77 scales were opened in VA and not a single super trucker in the bunch would answer,so I would of said the same thing to your smartass comment.See someday you made need some type of help/answer from someone else and I hope you get the same comment back.

Last edited by mike3fan; 10-17-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:42 PM

For a real life example, tuesday evening I was in the 11th hr. driving also 14th on duty after passing thru Atlanta. I live in SC and there are truck stops before the scale. If the scale was opened I would hit the truck stop, if the scale was closed I would go to the house. Therefore I was on the radio asking what the "chicken house" was doing. I got some friendly replies and the rest is history.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

These are the exact reasons why. Someone might want to park rather than go over the open scale. If they're trying to get home and the scale is closed, they might just keep going (oh, don't cry about HOS! See how you feel when you're 2 hours from home and coming up against a stupid 10 hour break!). Alternate routes are a good reason, too. If I can take a state route with no weigh station on it rather than go over a weigh station that's open, that's my choice. In most places that's perfectly legal (and sometimes the routing is shorter ). Maybe we need to switch drivers but I don't want to wake up my partner if I don't have to. Maybe I'm deciding where I get my fuel. Maybe I'm deciding which truck stop to go to- like if the one before the scale is nicer, I'll stop there if the scale is open because I'm not losing anything and maybe it will close by the time I get there, but if its closed, I'll keep going because they might open up while I'm parked.

All kinds of reasons.

I've been in that same situation, moe, asking for a long time if the stupid scale is open and no one will answer except the guy saying "if you ran legal, you wouldn't have to worry about it." Who said I'm worried? I'm asking for information. And if you had any cohones, you wouldn't have to suck your thumb (sorry, this is just one of those topics that gets my blood boilling!).

There are some drivers out there who have the nanny mentality. We're all adults and we all make our own decisions. It's like the guy whining that you're in the left lane... like I don't know I can get a ticket for being there. It's one thing to make sure a guy knows there's a fine, it's a whole 'nother thing to act like the hall monitor about it. No one likes the hall monitor- if I get a ticket that's my problem. There are consequences to our decisions- good and bad. And if I decide to to pass on the left in a "no left lane" area that's the risk I take- and I'm not talking about driving like a bat out of hell or driving unsafely- but sometimes you get guys who stay in the right two lanes and are just going slow (blood boiling over again- it's okay, I'm not driving anywhere today...).
Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Maybe they are local drivers like me who knows ways around the coops.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Board Icon

We're sorry. This thread has been superceded by the one about the tax writeoff for fuel expense. Click HERE if your browser does not immediately redirect you.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Who cares if the " coops " are open or not........ I don't and my drivers do not care either.... Why you ask ??? That's right we run legal.... What a funny concept....
And the rest of you are bad, bad people...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Who cares if the " coops " are open or not........ I don't and my drivers do not care either.... Why you ask ??? That's right we run legal.... What a funny concept....

My thoughts exactly!

I always assume the scales are going to be open and am ready if they are. Guess I don't see the big deal about crossing a scale. Keep your truck clean and look halfway intellgiant and drive across them.

I cross Banning (The Worst?) at least once a week and to listen to the radio around there you would think it was a bunch of little kids and the "Boogey Man" was going to jump out and get them.