User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Big D, that was kinda like you got online, got stressed, then got offline, you'll prolly get back online, get stressed again, then get back offline. i think your funny. You just acted like a super trucker, but i'll help you too, there's a full grown in the tall grass, don't feed the bears...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 AM

Your all right Big D, i know what you meant,
for those supertruckers to slow down and open their eyes, share the highway and help their fellow truckers.
We only have each other to help each other, there is no one else.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
I'd like to hear more about this. Are you leased or a carrier? What management job pays less than trucking? I'm guessing it must have been a retail position at some level.

I was a Distribution Manager for 21 years for Newell/Rubbermaid. They closed the plant I worked at in Nov of 2006 My last year there my salary was $58K. I got a severence package of a years pay then 9 months unemployment.

I couldn't find any job that paid anything without moving to a big city. While I was not working I got the idea of going trucking. When the plant closed the state gave a retraining grant to the employees. I went to the community college in 2007 and took the 6 week truck driving class. After I was done with school I took a job with MCT and went out with a trainer. I lasted 4 days with the trainer till we got in a fight on the shoulder of I-80 and I packed my stuff and walked to the next town. Yeah it was probably my fault because I didn't adapt too well from being the boss to having some Army kid telling me when I could eat, use the bathroom, take a shower, etc.

I found this board and starting reading everything on it daily. I started putting spreadsheets together and I developed a business plan.

When the plant closed a guy that worked for me bought a truck and leased on with a small local company (10 O/O) He would copy his settlements everyweek and give them to me and I would plug his numbers into my business plan. In March 2008 he told me the owner of the company decided to retire and he was going to buy the business. He kept telling me to go buy a truck and come to work for him. The numbers were looking good on the spreadsheet.

I still wasn't sure this is what I wanted to do. A guy I had went to trucking school with had bought a truck and flatbed trailer. We talked weekly and he was struggling to make his payments. In March of 2008 I offered to go with him for the experience and double his miles with us both driving and get him making some money. I went with him for 5 weeks and learned how to not to make any money.

In June of 2008 I decided I could do this and make some money. I raped my 401K of enough money to buy a truck and have operating capital. I talked to a trucking attorney and got incorporated and talked to a accountant and got all my financials set up.

I leased on with the small local company and took my first load the first week of Aug. We just run Iowa to the Los Angeles area and back with a dry van.

I have been grossing $6k-8k a week and netting $2500-4000 a week.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
I leased on with the small local company and took my first load the first week of Aug. We just run Iowa to the Los Angeles area and back with a dry van.

I have been grossing $6k-8k a week and netting $2500-4000 a week.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I going to call bullshit now.......
Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Board Regular

Hey FDMAX- I just sent you a PM about the LP chip haul.

Whatever happened to Steve Booth? He was the coolest guy on here, really about the only reason to log on.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Rookie

Why is Scottt's post so unbelievable BD? He could be running team, plus he grabbed his 401k $$ before his mutual funds plunged by 30%. I say kudos to that. Just curious why your calling BS.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Rookie

Hey Steve, How's it goin. Are you in FL for biketoberfest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
Hey FDMAX- I just sent you a PM about the LP chip haul.

Whatever happened to Steve Booth? He was the coolest guy on here, really about the only reason to log on.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurb View Post
Why is Scottt's post so unbelievable BD? He could be running team, plus he grabbed his 401k $$ before his mutual funds plunged by 30%. I say kudos to that. Just curious why your calling BS.
If its team, the numbers are in the realm of reality...... solo driver = BS....
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
And its funny when the same supertrucker passes you several times in a day as one is running legal and at 55 to 65 mph....... Who has less stress ????
Well, I don't consider myself a "supertrucker" or a BBR, but I DID drive a fast truck, and could at least do the speed limit or a FEW miles over. I often got off the big road for a quick break to hit the bathroom, get a soda, and/or stretch my legs, and then quite often passed the SAME "slow" truck several times. I always wondered if that poor guy EVER got to stop and take a break, or if he HAD to keep droning down the road to make the miles he needed.... without a break.

Usually, when I looked over, he had his elbow propped on the wheel, and a blank stare on his face. I don't know about "stress" but, I'd say HE was much more worried about getting miles (and therefore PAY) than "I" was, and he was definitely less rested and alert.

I commend you for running a legal operation, BigD. But, don't forget that not EVERY truck on the road is a SOLO. So, if a truck blows by you, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a driver who is PRESSED for time and running ahead of his logbook.

Some of us are teams, and we have plenty of time to get there, a fast truck to do it with, and plenty of time to stop several times a day for breaks to make sure we are "safe."

I'd have to hazard a guess that, in today's "market" conditions, even a successful O/O like you probably has more stress than someone like me, regardless of the speed of your trucks.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
And the " regs expert " blathers on as usual......:rolleyes:
I was going to let this slide, BigD. Mostly, because your insults no longer matter to me (or anyone else of consequence.)

But, WTF is your problem? I answered a question/post from someone OTHER than you, so I did not attack you in any way. I gave a reasonable answer to the question. The O.P. might not like it, but that's not YOUR problem. And, at any rate, it was MY opinion and that is what this board is about.

As I understand it, you provide valuable information to SOME on this board. That's commendable. But, I haven't seen that YOUR contribution is any more valuable, or acceptable, than mine. Some may disagree, but others don't.

Your petty insults don't really bother me. But, they DO preclude any respect that I would LIKE to show you for your experience and input to this board. And I DO believe you deserve that respect.

If you disagree with anything I say, I am open to debating it with you. But, insulting me is not conducive to that end. It only shows how small you can be. And before you say "pot meet kettle," yes.... I have fallen into that responsive mode before. I'm not proud of it. In fact, IF I have said anything that really offended you (even though it was all in the genre of B.B. sparring,) I apologize! Obviously, I don't know anything about you or your family, and I'd be willing to bet that, outside this board, you're a pretty decent human being.

I know we can't all be "buddy, buddy" here, and feed each others egos all the time by telling them how RIGHT they are. Heck, we'd all sound just a little too "gay." I am known for being contentious and stirring a debate now and then. But, I don't see the need for personal attacks everytime someone posts something.

I really hope you decide to meet me halfway on this. But, that will be up to you.

Hobo
FMCSA reg expert()

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.