User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

For a real life example, tuesday evening I was in the 11th hr. driving also 14th on duty after passing thru Atlanta. I live in SC and there are truck stops before the scale. If the scale was opened I would hit the truck stop, if the scale was closed I would go to the house.

And if you had a accident and hurt someone you would go to jail, your falt or not.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:15 AM
Board Icon

Okay, the most obvious reason is that a driver is pushing his hours, or has not caught up his log lately. But, there are other reasons.

Sometimes, a load is not distributed properly by the loader/shipper and it is impossible to get both axles within the limits. By the time you scale out, the shipper has closed up and gone home. You can wait till they open the next morning to "get it right," or you can run with it.

Sometimes, you are less than gross when you are loaded, but after getting your "preplanned" amount of fuel, you are over on your steers, drives, or possibly even over gross.... until you burn some of it off.

If everyone drove "legal" all the time, there would be no need for "coops." I saw a guy one time with an RV on a drop deck, and it was maybe 2 inches over on the heighth. Not enough to hit a bridge, as they are usually, 3 inches or more higher than what they post as their heighth, but enough to cost that driver some time and money.

There are more than enough "hall monitors" and "____ Nazis" out here. If a driver asks about a coop, tell him what the situation is. If he can't go through that coop, then you just helped get him OFF THE ROAD! You did your "hall monitor" job! :rolleyes:

Sometimes, they may just want to know if that one middle I.D. light that burned out and can be replaced at the terminal is going to cost them a hefty fine.

But, if you're a newbie, and don't understand why the question is asked, you really have no business "preaching" to the more experienced drivers who are asking it. Just be glad you have a job.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
But, if you're a newbie, and don't understand why the question is asked, you really have no business "preaching" to the more experienced drivers who are asking it. Just be glad you have a job.

Yeah I am a "Newbie" and not preaching to anyone just asking a question that made no sense to me.

Yeah I have a job........My truck and trailer are paid for and making more money than I ever made being a manager in the corporate world. Thanks for asking!

I usually don't say a word on the CB, usually just listen and laugh all day when the "experienced drivers" with the high power radios complain about not making any money as they blow by me with the smoke rolling out the pipes.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
My truck and trailer are paid for and making more money than I ever made being a manager in the corporate world. Thanks for asking!
I'd like to hear more about this. Are you leased or a carrier? What management job pays less than trucking? I'm guessing it must have been a retail position at some level.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Okay, the most obvious reason is that a driver is pushing his hours, or has not caught up his log lately. But, there are other reasons.

Sometimes, a load is not distributed properly by the loader/shipper and it is impossible to get both axles within the limits. By the time you scale out, the shipper has closed up and gone home. You can wait till they open the next morning to "get it right," or you can run with it.

Sometimes, you are less than gross when you are loaded, but after getting your "preplanned" amount of fuel, you are over on your steers, drives, or possibly even over gross.... until you burn some of it off.

If everyone drove "legal" all the time, there would be no need for "coops." I saw a guy one time with an RV on a drop deck, and it was maybe 2 inches over on the heighth. Not enough to hit a bridge, as they are usually, 3 inches or more higher than what they post as their heighth, but enough to cost that driver some time and money.

There are more than enough "hall monitors" and "____ Nazis" out here. If a driver asks about a coop, tell him what the situation is. If he can't go through that coop, then you just helped get him OFF THE ROAD! You did your "hall monitor" job! :rolleyes:

Sometimes, they may just want to know if that one middle I.D. light that burned out and can be replaced at the terminal is going to cost them a hefty fine.

And the " regs expert " blathers on as usual......:rolleyes:
Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 AM

Back in 84' i was 23 hauling chips with a possum belly from louisiana pacific out of cloverdale, ca. thats when they had a chicken coop on the redwood highway, interstate 101, i called out to see if the coop was open, and someone called back and said, "nope, it's all shut up","go on thru"

well this was on a beautiful saturday afternoon, i had no problems, i had all the time in the world to get to los angeles, and i was just wondering if someone would of even answered me, as i could see no one, so i said, " ok 10-4 "

hmmm, i knew what was going to happen next, not good.

a few minutes later i got the chp right next to me, sizing me up and down, then he get's on his PA, and yells at me, " You Don't Look Over Weight" and speeds off. well, i was'nt.

the point i'm saying is, know when your talking to a trucker and when your not.
We only have each other to help, cause no one else is, I'll help you every time you need help.
I'll tell you if the coops are open and the last time i saw a bear.
and if i ever need to ask for help i only have you.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Who cares if the " coops " are open or not........ I don't and my drivers do not care either.... Why you ask ??? That's right we run legal.... What a funny concept....

Hey BIG D. i do care cuz if i know my way around the scales why even be bothered with them. All the coops are is a headache waiting to happen.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 AM

But don't think i'm all caught up in it as all you super truckers go wiz'en by.
i'll pace you a mile or two back and use you as bear bait, as your screaming where's the bear, over and over again. and nobody is answering that one, cause nobody knows.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmax View Post
But don't think i'm all caught up in it as all you super truckers go wiz'en by.
i'll pace you a mile or two back and use you as bear bait, as your screaming where's the bear, over and over again. and nobody is answering that one, cause nobody knows.
And its funny when the same supertrucker passes you several times in a day as one is running legal and at 55 to 65 mph....... Who has less stress ????
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 AM

hey Big D i just said as the supertrucker passed me, and your saying he got off the highway, got back on and passed me again,
hmmmm and maby even again, it's possible, i do see the same trucks over again.

needed an r in (your)

Last edited by fdmax; 10-18-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: needed an r in (your)