User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
That's bad when yer killing the wildlife on a city street!! 6 years of driving over that road I never hit one critter...but did manage to spin-out once-----right in front of the ski area!

Can you say..."Hot Chocolate Please!!" ??? " I'm waiting for a wrecker!!"

actually I hit the doe about 3-4 mi east outside town just shortly after comming off the hills I just did not have enough shoulder to pull off right after impact safely until i hit town ...
Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Board Regular
Arrow

Quote:
From where??? If your traveling from KC...stick with 70...if your leaving outta St Louis....drop down 44 to 40.

You could drop down 25 to US160 and drop down across Wolf Creek Pass into Farmingto and then Gallup..........

Sorry I was late...but was busy with traffic. Friggin NE'ers. Don't any of um know how to drive??
How's the ride across US 160 East, from Durango, CO?
About a year ago, I missed US 550, leaving Farmington, NM. I wound up on US 64 across to I-25. Scenic, but not a route for the faint of heart.

I had considered going from Farmington up to Durango, but opted out because of a question about snow. Now, I think 160 would have been a better choice than 550 or 64. But, I don't know...
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 View Post
About a year ago, I missed US 550, leaving Farmington, NM. I wound up on US 64 across to I-25. Scenic, but not a route for the faint of heart.

I had considered going from Farmington up to Durango, but opted out because of a question about snow. Now, I think 160 would have been a better choice than 550 or 64. But, I don't know...

all colorado back roads suck in a truck ...
Old 10-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Senior Board Member

I run it out and back everyweek

35 South to Emporia KS

50 West to Dodge City KS

283 South to Minneola KS

54 West to Tucumcari NM

40 West to Barstow

15 South into LA

There is a weigh station at Nara Visa NM that doesn't weigh anyone. He just checks your NM permit and you are on your way. It closes at 5:00pm everyday and he opens it up once in awhile on the weekend till noon. Just pull up there and wait for him to wave you on because the lights don't work. I have stopped and talked to the guy that runs it and he is OK.

I run over to Dodge City and don't take 61 to Pratt because there are some nice quiet places to sleep around Dodge City. There is a rest area between Stafford KS and Macksville KS that will hold 4 trucks and is nice and quiet. There is a Historical Site just before you turn on 283 off 50 that holds 6 trucks and nice and quiet. Flying J at Dodge City and a quiet little truck stop off 283 to the left as you leave Dodge City. Pratt KS has a truckstop on the intersection of 61 and 54 that is usually full and that is about the only place along there to take a nap. My 11hrs is usually up around Dodge City.

Just past Tucumcari NM at the Quervo exit you can pull off there and room for about 20 trucks.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 View Post

160 pretty much runs east - west across Colorado. From Durango you would go east to Pagosa Springs or west to Cortez. 550 would take you north through Durango, up the mountain to Silverton, then down the north side of the mountain to Ouray.

You found out about 64 east from Farmington. It is about the same as crossing Wolf Creek...I did all those routes back in the late 70's through the mid 80's in trucks without jake brakes. Lot's of ITH 549 gas engines and Cat 3208 "throw-aways"
Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
I run it out and back everyweek

35 South to Emporia KS

50 West to Dodge City KS

283 South to Minneola KS

54 West to Tucumcari NM

40 West to Barstow

15 South into LA

There is a weigh station at Nara Visa NM that doesn't weigh anyone. He just checks your NM permit and you are on your way. It closes at 5:00pm everyday and he opens it up once in awhile on the weekend till noon. Just pull up there and wait for him to wave you on because the lights don't work. I have stopped and talked to the guy that runs it and he is OK.

I run over to Dodge City and don't take 61 to Pratt because there are some nice quiet places to sleep around Dodge City. There is a rest area between Stafford KS and Macksville KS that will hold 4 trucks and is nice and quiet. There is a Historical Site just before you turn on 283 off 50 that holds 6 trucks and nice and quiet. Flying J at Dodge City and a quiet little truck stop off 283 to the left as you leave Dodge City. Pratt KS has a truckstop on the intersection of 61 and 54 that is usually full and that is about the only place along there to take a nap. My 11hrs is usually up around Dodge City.

Just past Tucumcari NM at the Quervo exit you can pull off there and room for about 20 trucks.
That's interesting. From where I'm starting out in Wisconsin, it's a little further this way than if I take 80 to Wyoming, drop down to SLC and run in to California through Vegas. Any advantage to this route when there is no snow to deal with?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Just to be clear, because I haven't done it in so long, you definitely don't go 78,000 right through Colorado on I70, right?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
Just to be clear, because I haven't done it in so long, you definitely don't go 78,000 right through Colorado on I70, right?

I don't let the mountains bother me. I've hauled coils, oil, livestock, acid and driven fixed weight service equipment across 70 from Denver. If the truck is a slow one...I sit back and enjoy the views.

Mountain goats beside the road are cool.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't let the mountains bother me. I've hauled coils, oil, livestock, acid and driven fixed weight service equipment across 70 from Denver. If the truck is a slow one...I sit back and enjoy the views.

Mountain goats beside the road are cool.
Well, maybe then. I just know most guys avoid it, but I can't remember what it's like. There will be mountains in Wyoming or New Mexico, too. One thing I do remember, the views were breathtaking. Don't remember the goats, though!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Carl...if 70 makes you nervous...then either 80...or work your way down to 40. I don't mind any of the routes across the mountins...but then...I grew up in western Montana...learned to drive in the mountians.