User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Have you tried www.truckpaper.com ?

Probably the most trucks listed anywhere.

You should also sign up for an unlimited VIN number search which will show the accident history. If the VIN is not listed in the ad or the owner is not willing to give it to you then something is up.

Werner trucks in Utah had many trucks listed as having no accidents. When I looked up a few they had multiple accidents listed.

=============================================

Here is the email I sent to the owner of Werner Trucks.

You list your trucks as not having any accidents. I've checked on a number of your vehicles with carfax and many have been in one or more accidents. This particular truck has been in 2 crashes. You are lying about the truck history. If you don't have a clue then you should not list it that way!!!

============================================

This is the response that I got from the owner.

Steve,

Thanks for your email. Here are a couple of facts you need to know before you call someone a liar.

We don't pull a carfax on each truck because it ends up costing us more money which would result in charging our customers more money. We look at the trucks to see if any damage has happened to the truck. If we can determine if the truck has not been damage due to a accident we will list it as "no known accidents". Which in our opinion is the right way to list the truck. It may have been in a wreck with another car like the truck you reference in your email, however the one accident it was in did not result in damage to the truck. I also sell cars and light trucks and accidents are a much more serious situation because many times they result in repaints and possible frame damage.

When trucks have nearly a million miles are them there is a good chance it has been hit or hit something, however the only time you worry about a truck in an accident is if they roll the truck. It is very difficult to damage one of these trucks when you hit another car generally the car is damaged. I know many truckers who have hit many a deer and the only damage to the truck is some fur on the bumper. Would you list that truck in an accident?

=============================================

After receiving this response I filed a complaint with the Attorney General in Utah and the Better Business. Both complaints were accepted and a cease and desist order was brought by the Attorney General. The Better Business also listed them with a black mark.

The owner was completely BULL**** and tried to get me to withdraw my complaint which I refused.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Board Regular

Wow!

"...the only time you worry about a truck in an accident is if they roll the truck."
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty

You are compiling quite a list of trucks, rigidsporty. Some sound like they might make a decent truck for you, depending on their condition. When a truck gets a lot of miles on the odometer I usually feel better about it when major engine work has been done. I may question it when the engine work had to be done with lower mileage. The T2000 that needs a transmission might work. I would check around for a transmission, if you want to proceed with it. No matter which truck you decide to purchase, you need to make sure to check it out before falling in love with it. I have seen drivers get into trouble by falling in love with a particular truck. When you get too emotionally involved with a truck it is easy to overlook some of their problems. It looks like charged has been busy shopping for you, too.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It looks like charged has been busy shopping for you, too.
It's easy to spend someone else's money. My wife has decided that trucking is not the life for me right now.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
There are a ton on Craigslist, this is just a small sample I saw when looking at them.
Thanks charged, I didnt know about that site... I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Have you tried www.truckpaper.com ?
Steve, do you actually read these posts or do you just insert random thoughts here and there? I'll try to answer that question by posting a few quotes from yours truly...

Quote:
Heres a truck I found... gonna call them tomorrow to see how long its been since the inframe...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...4&OHID=1186641
Quote:
I have also seen this one...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...FBF3E7D6693777
... and finally the one that probably threw you off...

Quote:
I'm not sure, I was browsing through a copy of Truck Paper during my lunch break
On a lighter note... that was an interesting story. Remind me to never buy an ex-Werner truck. :shock:
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Whats does a transmission run? Would it be cheaper to just rebuild the one in it?

Quote:
It's easy to spend someone else's money.
Its not that easy... you havent seen my bank account! :lol:

I like this one...

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/807480543.html
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm a newbie O/O and like Steve did I jumped in being a O/O without any driving experence.

I looked at 100's of trucks for 6 months with the money burning a hole in my pocket to get started.

I finally found the exact specs I was looking for here: http://www.usauctioneers.com/

I got it bought for $15-20K less than the trucks I had been looking at on the lots in the midwest.

It cost me $5,000 in repairs the first 2 weeks I was on the road with it. The last 6 weeks it has been nothing but a money maker. I have been netting 3 times the money I was making as a Mgr for 20 years with a large corporation.

Every week the truck doesn't cost me anything in repairs I replace something tires, belts, shocks, overhead so far. I put $1,000 a week in a repair account.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt
I finally found the exact specs I was looking for here: http://www.usauctioneers.com/
Thanks for the link Scottt, I'm going there now.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Whats does a transmission run? Would it be cheaper to just rebuild the one in it?
I haven't checked in a while on a transmission. You could probably find one in a junk or salvage yard. Unless I wanted to get a different transmission, I would probably rebuild the one I had in the truck. Again, it has been a while since I have priced one but I would expect from about $1500-3500, depending on the shop and what needs to be done. You could probably buy a used one in that range as well. If you rebuild the one that is in the truck, you know what you have. If you buy used you never know until you take it for a spin.

When you look at making repairs it is always best to use the higher figures. When it comes to repairing a truck you can sometimes get into a lot of money. Before buying a fixer upper, you need to check on the cost of repairs compared to buying a truck that is all road ready. If you can do much of the work yourself, you can often save a lot of money. I know a guy who has bought all sorts of equipment and made repairs himself, including major overhauls of the engines, etc., but he is also a certified CAT mechanic. He could afford to pay someone to do this type of repairs, but doesn't like to pay a mechanic to do it. Frankly, I think he likes the challenge. :lol:
Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member