User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Speaking of trucks bought at auction...I've been wondering whatever became of that old California based antagonist....PEPE !
He's still around and I've run into him a few times. He has an old truck and trailer and has been inspected many times but a perfect record. He also has a very low overhead so he's still hanging in there.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Heres a truck I found... gonna call them tomorrow to see how long its been since the inframe...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...4&OHID=1186641

According to their website (http://www.economytransportgroup.com/) a 36 month term at 10% (just a random number I threw in, I have no idea what the interest will be) the payments will be $609.85.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is a nice looking truck. How many miles on the overhauls? Will they give you a warranty?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

that price seems to be on the high side for that year. I think you can definatley find a better deal for the model & year. most 99' & 2000 models are going for that price. when it read inhouse inframe, that to me may mean they had it done in there own shop & may mean they have no actual record of it. I hate to sound pessimistic on this one, but they could have paper work on a inframe & even show paperwork to you, but how would you know the inframe was performed on this truck & not a different one with same make modle, e.t.c.

the only reason this comes to mind is... i was looking on ebay the other day just browsing trucks & the prices being asked & one in particuliar caught my eye. It said motor was rebuilt but had no paper work cause it was done at their own shop & something about the work that was done was transfered into the computer for tax purposes, & other reasons given. anyway. take your time, like g- man said. it took me 2 years to pick one. your on the right track.. keep us posted..
Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The price could be a little high, but with a recent overhaul on the engine and transmission, it deserves a second look, from my standpoint. I would request to see the paperwork. I would want to know if the work was performed by an authorized dealer. I am talking about authorized engine dealer. Some truck dealers are autorized or certified with some of the major engines. I suppose that I am a little biased on Internationals. That is the same year and model of my International. I have a different bumper and fairings on mine and all the owner operator specs. I have had such good service out of it I would buy another just like it in a minute. I have had a couple of drivers who have beaten it up a little, but it is still in good shape, even with 900,000 miles. I put a turbo on it earlier this year. It runs great. It has made me a lot of money over the years. I thought about trading it off, but it still has many more miles to go. To tell you the truth, I would like to see how long it will go before it actually need an overhaul. Some of these CAT engines get well over a million miles before needing to be rebuilt. I don't mean to try and sell you on this truck, rigidsporty, I guess I was just reminiscing a bit. Maybe i will buy another truck and keep this one for me to take a load every now and again. :wink:

If this is one you really like you could probably deal on it. I would probably still look around a little. It helps to look at different types of trucks. Find features you like. I like the 72" pro sleeper. It is well laid out and comfortable. I like a CAT, but will consider another engine if I find something that I like other than the engine. You want to be comfortable. If you are tall, you want something with some leg room. After all, you will spend a lot of your time in that seat. Sit in the seat and check the lumbar support. One thing I really liked about my old Peterbilt is the adjustable lumbar support. Go back in the sleeper and lay down. Check out the cabinets and storage space. You can also see how well the truck was maintained by looking at the sleeper and driving areas. If there are no rips, cracks and damage, then the truck was probably well maintained. If you see a lot of damage to the interior, then you can rest assured that the mechanical side of the truck is probably worse. If you like most other things about a truck, you may may want to drive it. Unless the interior and mechanics seem up to par, I usually don't waste my time on a drive. There are some cosmetic things which are good bargaining vehicles but don't affect the performance of the truck. When I bought my International I was able to look at it before it had been detailed. You can see much more before someone has an opportunity to cover things up. I also prefer to look at fluids before they change the oil. If it is really syrupy then there is a good possibility maintenance was not performed in a timely manner and other, more expensive problems could be present or forthcoming.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is a nice looking truck. How many miles on the overhauls? Will they give you a warranty?
I'm not sure, I was browsing through a copy of Truck Paper during my lunch break this afternoon and seen it. I found it on the net tonight when I got home. Was gonna call in the morning to find out the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
that price seems to be on the high side for that year. I think you can definatley find a better deal for the model & year. most 99' & 2000 models are going for that price. when it read inhouse inframe, that to me may mean they had it done in there own shop & may mean they have no actual record of it. I hate to sound pessimistic on this one, but they could have paper work on a inframe & even show paperwork to you, but how would you know the inframe was performed on this truck & not a different one with same make modle, e.t.c.
Uhm... I dont. But thanks for adding yet another concern to my inventory. :shock: Now I dont know what the hell to do. :?

I did find another one in the Payload magazine but they dont seem to have a website. Its a 94 Volvo in SC at "JolleyTruck & Equipment Sales." Here is what the ad says...

"1994 Volvo, 10spd. 12.7L Detroit, Eaton Fuller Aluminum wheels, less than 300K on inframe, only $11,500"

I have also seen this one...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...FBF3E7D6693777

...which is a few miles from me. I am concerned about the miles and the fuel mileage with this one. A co-worker of mine has told me of another KW he seen for sale for $12,000. Its also in my area, but no info on it, its just in the guys yard with a for-sale sign on it.

Man this sh*t is worse than buying a used car! I have dealt with so many crooked salesman over the years (I realize that is a strange statement... after all, is there such a thing as an honest salesman?) that I am SO sure that whatever truck I buy is going to blow up the day after I buy it... its driving me nuts.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is a nice looking truck, but I see two things which would concern me. First is the hood. While it looks good, it will burn more fuel fighting the wind. Second is the engine. This truck has a "C" model which means that it gets lower fuel mileage than the "E" models. I have the "E" model in my trucks. The "E" is electronic and is supposed to get better fuel mileage. A friend of mine had a "B" model and got about 4.5 mpg on it. You won't find a better pulling engine if it is in good shape. I would expect to get around 5 mpg at the most with this truck. I would want to see any work that has been done on the engine and drive train.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Man this sh*t is worse than buying a used car! I have dealt with so many crooked salesman over the years (I realize that is a strange statement... after all, is there such a thing as an honest salesman?) that I am SO sure that whatever truck I buy is going to blow up the day after I buy it... its driving me nuts.
When you find one you really want to buy just check it out closely, do a dyno and oil analysis, if possible. The dyno and oil analysis will tell you about everything you need to know about the truck. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but you can minimize your risks. Just relax and enjoy the shopping. If you find yourself getting all tense, take a few deep breaths and relax. You don't need to find a truck by a certain time frame. Just take your time. Look at a lot of trucks. There is no need to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on yourself.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

A couple more trucks I found...

http://www.golsn.com/listings/automo...ks/450860.html

Needs trans but...
http://www.golsn.com/listings/automo...es/461535.html
Old 08-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Board Regular

There are a ton on Craigslist, this is just a small sample I saw when looking at them.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/816162904.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/807270150.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/807480543.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/796365759.html