User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Things have been something of a roller coaster for me this year. I had to go pick up one of my trucks that a driver abandoned in California and hurt my leg on the trip. That slowed me down a bit. I have had a very good summer until the last couple of weeks. I have had to take the past two weeks off due to my wife having surgery, so I can't be sure what I could have done had I been able to run. I have some seasonal freight that will kick in in about 2-3 weeks that pays pretty well. It should keep me busy through the middle to late November. Everyone I talk with is off right now. Part of it is the usually business cycle slow down we see this time of year. The other side is the general slow down we are seeing across the country. We should start to see some improvement after labor day.

One reason I have been able to do as well as I have is because I am willing to go pretty much anywhere the rates are good. At times it has helped that I have had a step deck. There is no way that I would go to the West Coast for $2/mile right now. Rates coming out will likely be quite a bit lower and you may need to sit in order to even get the cheap rate. It doesn't make good business sense to me. There are those who go, but I see no reason to run West for $2/mile knowing you will likely not get as good a rate coming back. I can make more money on the East Coast.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac
Here in chemical land we are busy, it is a good sign of the economy because it means that manufacturing is doing good. Chemicals usually slow down first.

Maybe its just who I work for? I don't know

Where is the manufactured goods going? I don't know, BUT they ARE going somewhere.

I delivered to a mattress manufacturer today in Jersey, they are running 3 shifts Midnite sunday to midnite friday.

My numbers for this yeafr are the highest they have ever been for this time of year, yet I know they are artificial, because of the fuel surcharges, but on the other hand my actual fuel cost AFTER the surcharge is UNDER a buck a gallon.

From now till the end of the the year Dana has ALL the build spots at Brenner tank, he can't get them built and delivered to the customers who want to lease them fast enough.

Me personally, I have a "little girl" with 1 year of college left, and then a few years left on the mortgage, but not really spending like I used too.
No it's not just you, I talked to a guy the other day that drives for Shipley, it's a small outfit with 16 trucks and they haul latex, he said they are very busy. They are a 48 state operation.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

My numbers for this yeafr are the highest they have ever been for this time of year, yet I know they are artificial, because of the fuel surcharges, but on the other hand my actual fuel cost AFTER the surcharge is UNDER a buck a gallon.
Same is here, but somehow, it doesn't make me happy.... :roll:
Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
There is a ton of BS said in this forum for sure when it comes to money and tons of info left out.
Ironic post of the year.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How bad it's really is?

[quote="devildice"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
If fuel were say....47 cents, like the truckstop sign in "Smokey and the Bandit" showed last night...
:lol: :lol: :lol: I watch the show last night too and seen that.......boy do I wish it was that cheap

LOL...I remember when you could get diesel at the 66 station in Dillon MT for 23 cents a gallon....1974. And ranchers thought that was expensive fuel!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

Same is here, but somehow, it doesn't make me happy.... :roll:
I haven't been all that happy a camper either Solo. I made some great $$$ from June 27 through Aug 18. The only reason I took some of the loads I did haul, during that period, was because the FSC was so decent. There are still plenty of "Dog" rates being pushed on us...and a lot don't work even with the FSC. I turned down a lot of loads this year because the rate and FSC together just didn't make sense.

In general, I haven't made close to the money I feel I should be making...but my bills are paid...so I will stick it out where I am...unless a better offer shows. A couple look good...but man...taking the chance is tough, when you need to allow for a 3 week lag in changing decals and plates before working, and getting that first check.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:
Economy is down! Housing market crash! Outsourcing! Trucking companies going bankrupt!.....
Yet, by reading all this forums, almost everybody, doing great, and making tons of money!
Any reasonable explanation? Or i smell fish? :roll:
Fash! Thats where money is lad! http://www.wri.org/publication/content/8224

The whole world needs more fash! More fash, more fash fairms and therefore, more trucks to carry fash to factories for processing.
Wot may joke around but Wot is no frigging fool mate.
Did you know, the Chinese consume 33million tonnes of fash per year?
Take Wots advice and get yourself hauling fash.
My last year on heavy haulage I made £30,000
This year hauling fash I am on target to make £35,000
And get this...I`m getting a new truck which is only a rigid 26tonner!
Smaller truck, less hassle, job security etc etc etc...and increase of salary????
Haul fash!
(Downside highly unsociable hours, but hey, you`re a trucker!)

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life
Fash! Thats where money is lad! http://www.wri.org/publication/content/8224

The whole world needs more fash! More fash, more fash fairms and therefore, more trucks to carry fash to factories for processing.
Wot may joke around but Wot is no frigging fool mate.
Did you know, the Chinese consume 33million tonnes of fash per year?
Take Wots advice and get yourself hauling fash.
My last year on heavy haulage I made £30,000
This year hauling fash I am on target to make £35,000
And get this...I`m getting a new truck which is only a rigid 26tonner!
Smaller truck, less hassle, job security etc etc etc...and increase of salary????
Haul fash!
(Downside highly unsociable hours, but hey, you`re a trucker!)

See...Now that goes to show, that WOT does not watch "Deadliest Catch" !!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
You just went and upset any "Fasherman" on this side of the pond, that reads this forum there WOT !!!

Over on this portion of the big ponds...plenty of "Fashfarms" :lol: :lol: ...in fact to many!! And....the fash are processed at sea...frozen out there...and put on the trucks at the dock..ready for the market. For fresh "fash" they horse the bins on into the dock..and on to the airport.."flying fash" to market...so to speak!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

The company I am with, has many steady customers with long term contracts that pay fuel surcharge. My company pays a good surcharge, and pays it on empty miles as well.

That being said, all miles, I'm probably around a buck a mile after fuel. Considering I have few other costs, my profit is very good. Last year it was 77 cents for all miles, this year it will be higher. Having the truck paid off helps.

My company is also hiring, I'm thinking of putting a driver on within a couple weeks. Wish me luck.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member