User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 02:33 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbed VS stepdeck

What is the benefit of having a regular Aluminum flatbed trailer Vs a Stepdeck trailer? I'm Considering buying my own trailer in the future and wonder what would be a better choice..

Currently hauling mostly building materials but the company I'm leased to haul Various Freight...
Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Senior Board Member

STEPDECK:
-less loads (some companies will load stuff only on flatbeds backed to the dock; if you're given a long load - say 45 ft pipe - you'll need to use load levellers)
-less tarping
-lighter loads
-higher paying loads (oversize)
-easier to climb on
-easier to tarp (lower)
-trailer costs more than flatbed

FLATBED:
-more loads
-heavier loads
-be ready to tarp or shell out for a tarping system trailer
-trailer is cheaper than stepdeck, unless you go with fancy aluminum
-higher trailer: harder to tarp, harder to climb on.

I"d go with a stepdeck, but each time I ask the flatbed dispatcher - she says, "We'd prefer you had a flatbed trailer". Flatbed loads are everywhere.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 AM
Rookie

had a stepdeck for a while, but it's hard to make shippers or brokers pay extra for it's use. they want it's utility but want to pay the same as flatbed rates. everything else that tracer says applies.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I've been told by 2 brokers already that the shipper will not allow a step deck. One was Holland. They don't want a step deck because the driver will put an LTL load on top.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a day cab pulling a 53' step deck with a custom built house/sleeper with a wood stove on the upper deck yet.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks GUys for the response.. I was also wondering what Brand trailer are the lightest and best Quality and price on the market right now?

Aluminum or steel?

thanks again
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
Thanks GUys for the response.. I was also wondering what Brand trailer are the lightest and best Quality and price on the market right now?

Aluminum or steel?

thanks again
I was wondering the same thing. Plus a couple other questions if you don't mind.

What is the lifespan of an aluminum or steel and is it worth it for aluminum?
Is the resale higher aluminum over steel?
Is there a fuel savings for the lighter trailers and how much?
Last, are slightly used trailers usually a good buy over new?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Board Regular

Reitnouer makes the best all aluminum flats and stepdecks out there. A few other manufacturers include: Transcraft Eagle, Raven, and Mac. The Mac trailers are also quickly becoming popular for the looks and quality. The Aluminum trailers offer significant weight savings over steel, but are not quite as durable. Aluminum tends to crack over a period of time, but it is not that big of an issue if you maintain your equipment and make sure you are loaded properly. There are many cases in steel hauling when being payed by the hundred makes for better paying loads when you can haul more weight. Combo trailers are also very popular. They are usually made of steel beams and have aluminum crossmembers and decking. Most of your steel haulers will have either a combo or all aluminum trailer. Steel trailers are more popular with the lumber haulers and severe duty applications. My dad has a Reitnouer that is over 10 years old and still in great shape. He has had a few small cracks welded up from time to time, but nothing major that threatened the operation of the trailer. Usually guys start out with a cheaper steel trailer and then progress to a fancier aluminum or combo setup once they figure out how they can benefit from the weight savings.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmanic
had a stepdeck for a while, but it's hard to make shippers or brokers pay extra for it's use. they want it's utility but want to pay the same as flatbed rates. everything else that tracer says applies.
They won't pay extra if you want to put FB freight on your step that's for sure. Can you blame them? But they certainly pay extra for stuff thats too tall for a flat.

Reitnouer ain't all that. Buy the one you get the best deal on. Toolboxes may be better, winches may be laid out better from one to another, one may be lighter than the other.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have both a flat and step deck. I have a side kit for the flat. Both are steel. I prefer steel to aluminum due to the durability. I also haul some loads which require wood and steel. The main advantage you have with aluminum is the extra weight you can haul. I have gotten very good rates with both trailers, but seem to have more consistency with higher rates with the step deck. I usually don't haul as heavy loads as most will on a flat bed. I think I probably tarp about as much with one as the other unless I am hauling equipment. I do haul quite a bit of equipment with my step deck. The side kit enables me to haul some loads on the flat that I would not be able to get with a regular flat and they will pay a higher rate. I would go with which ever trailer that I was comfortable. Starting out you may be better off with a regular flat. There are more loads for flats. I do better with my step deck than some due to the fact that it is a 53' with a 42' lower deck. That enables me to be more flexible with my loads.

Steel trailers are less costly to purchase than aluminum. If I lived in the rust belt I would consider buying an aluminum trailer. There are several good brands on the market. Chapparel, Mac and Reitnour are some of the popular brands of aluminum trailers. The cracking around the suspension was the primary reason I didn't buy an aluminum trailer. Another reason is that it is much easier to damage an aluminum deck.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Gman wrote:
Quote:
The side kit enables me to haul some loads on the flat that I would not be able to get with a regular flat
What are examples of loads that you could get with a side kit that a regular flat could not? Which is more versatile...a side kit or a sliding tarp system?