Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Gman wrote:
Quote:
The side kit enables me to haul some loads on the flat that I would not be able to get with a regular flat
What are examples of loads that you could get with a side kit that a regular flat could not? Which is more versatile...a side kit or a sliding tarp system?
The biggest difference between a side kit and a sliding tarp system (connestoga), is that you can break the side kit down and load over-dimensional loads that would stick outside the rub rails. Sliding systems are more of a permanent set-up than side kits. Sliding systems require dedicated loads like coils or something similar that you know will fit inside on a regular basis. Personally side kits can be a major pain also if you have to break them down very often to accomodate other loads. Many guys get tired of breaking them down on back hauls and eventually resort back to tarping. They each have there advantages, but require freight that favors the setup to be beneficial.

I would assume loads that are critical to staying dry would offer better money to a side kit.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the advice I'm going most run norheast NY,CT,MA,NH,ME,NJ,PA
So I will look for the best deal possible on a regular flat bed trailer..

thanks guys
Old 08-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

If you're going with a regular flatbed, one thing that might help is to get lightweight tarps, esp. if they are custom designed to have a flap. These are much easier to tackle and take less time to set up.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Gman wrote:
Quote:
The side kit enables me to haul some loads on the flat that I would not be able to get with a regular flat
What are examples of loads that you could get with a side kit that a regular flat could not? Which is more versatile...a side kit or a sliding tarp system?

I haul a lot of nursery stock during season with a side kit. They will sometimes load a regular flat in the spring but won't during the fall. I can also haul things like copper pipe in a side kit. Some shippers will not load copper pipe on a regular flat bed. I also usually get better rates with the side kit than the flat. With the kit up you can haul just about the same thing with either a side kit or Conestoga. A Conestoga or similar setup would be well suited for lumber where as a side kit would not. I think most everything else was covered previously as far as the advantages are concerned.

When I mostly pulled my side kit I rarely took it down. It can be a pain to constantly take it down and put it up. Some shippers will not load a Conestoga, but will load a side kit. You will mostly see the Conestoga's hauling steel around. In reality you can haul about anything in one of these that you can in a van. The difficulty you will find with a side kit is the height. If you have something that is more than about 4' tall you will not be able to use the kit unless it is one of the tall kits. The Conestoga doesn't have that limitation.

The main advantage you have with either the side kit or Conestoga is the tarp time. With my side kit, I can usually be tarped and gone by the time someone else gets his tarps out. I like pulling a side kit. A friend of mine bought a kit for his trailer and later decided to not use it most of the time. He prefers to tarp.

A side kit costs from about $1,800-3,600. A Conestoga kit costs around $17,000.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
If you're going with a regular flatbed, one thing that might help is to get lightweight tarps, esp. if they are custom designed to have a flap. These are much easier to tackle and take less time to set up.
Where can I pick up light weight tarps?

Also I've been looking at used trailers and notice some have a dump valve or lift axle. which is better? Are these useful options?

also some have a gauge on the trailer. what is that used for..Hope these are not stupid questions..

thanks again guys
Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most any tarp shop can make them for you. There is a company called Tri-State Tarp in E. St. Louis who sell them.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Actually it's called Tri-City Canvas. They are located off of Interstate 270 exit 3. I think it's 3A and you turn left at the stop light and it's right across from the Waffle House. I do believe they also ship to anywhere in the U.S. as well! Their number is 1-800-966-1662.

http://www.tricityflatbeds.com
Old 08-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Tarps for less has a light weight set, take a look around there sight. Also Tarpstop has some good prices on equipment.

Here's what I did and if anyone has a better suggestion speak up.
From tarps4less I priced the light weight set...865.00
From tarpstop I priced:
8 chains
8 ratchet binders
4 corner protectors
16 plastic edge protectors
50 tarp straps
16 steel edge protectors............713.92

Total.....1578.92

I'm trying to find a web sight called "tow and hook" to price stuff out there but am not having much luck.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Apparently I was mistaken about Tri City Tarp's name. Tri State Tarp is in Oklahoma. Tri County Tarp is in Ohio. There are other tarp shops across the country. There is another one in West Memphis Arkansas across from the old Williams Truck Stop (which is now a Pilot). I don't recall their name off hand, but I bought a couple of things from them several months ago. I felt their prices were fair.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Tarps for less has a light weight set, take a look around there sight. Also Tarpstop has some good prices on equipment.

Here's what I did and if anyone has a better suggestion speak up.
From tarps4less I priced the light weight set...865.00
From tarpstop I priced:
8 chains
8 ratchet binders
4 corner protectors
16 plastic edge protectors
50 tarp straps
16 steel edge protectors............713.92

Total.....1578.92

I'm trying to find a web sight called "tow and hook" to price stuff out there but am not having much luck.
I would suggest getting 10 chains, 10 binders and 10 - 4" straps to start. You will also need a ratchet bar. There are times when you will use all 10 of them. I recently hauled a load that required 13 straps. That is not uncommon for me with the type of loads I haul. For a regular flat, 10 will usually be sufficient. 8 will not be enough. If you plan on hauling coils, you will want to get about 5 sets of coil racks along with 10 pieces of beveled wood (for the coil racks) about 4' long and 4" square and 10 pieces of belting. In addition you may want to buy some carpet for padding to protect your tarps.