Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Unless your carrier pays the tax which in my case they do,then I try to fuel in those states the most.
They aren't really paying the tax - they are paying any difference in what is owed vs. what you prepaid at the pump. But you are correct to a point. In some cases the states who are either not charging tax at the pump, or are charging less tax at the pump, are actually charging more per gallon for the fuel. In the example I gave earlier, the actual pump price in PA was cheaper than the pump price in IN, even though PA charges a lot more fuel tax.

Quote:
I wonder at the end of the year how much that is worth?
It all depends upon how many miles you run per year, and where you fuel. My IFTA bills usually are less than $100, assuming I have to pay at all. I try to keep my IFTA bill as close to zero as possible.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
It all depends upon how many miles you run per year, and where you fuel. My IFTA bills usually are less than $100, assuming I have to pay at all. I try to keep my IFTA bill as close to zero as possible.
Yes I agree,but I would think that just my savings at the pump alone would be pretty significant.There have been times that if I could make it to IN it was 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper than PA

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I agree,but I would think that just my savings at the pump alone would be pretty significant.There have been times that if I could make it to IN it was 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper than PA
You are in a situation that is completely different than either of the carriers I've been leased on with. If I were in your situation, I'd fuel wherever it was the cheapest as well.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You are in a situation that is completely different than either of the carriers I've been leased on with. If I were in your situation, I'd fuel wherever it was the cheapest as well.
Yep and I do,you also have an advantage over most of fueling at cost+,so I may not be that far ahead of you but most others I would be.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Yep and I do,you also have an advantage over most of fueling at cost+,so I may not be that far ahead of you but most others I would be.
Cost plus is the greatest thing ever invented.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sometimes it is less expensive to fuel the the states where fuel is cheaper, sometimes it isn't. I think Landstar does a good job with new BCO's in educating them as to what they are really paying for fuel. Steve still doesn't seem to understand about how to calculate the actual cost of fuel. It doesn't make much difference when you are a hobby trucker. But as for the rest of us, you really need to stay on top of those fuel costs. When I was running the left coast on a regular basis, I usually fueled in Kingman, AZ before going into California (I normally traveled I-40). There have been a few times when fuel was actually cheaper in California than Arizona. Most of the time I try to not buy fuel in California unless I am putting a lot of miles on in that state. When I ran out there I rarely had fuel tax of more than $25/quarter. I believe the most was around $75/quarter. You need to weight the costs out. Some people don't seem to want to mess with it. Personally, I don't want to give the government any more than I absolutely have to. And for the record, I have always watched my fuel tax and costs, even when I was leased to a carrier. The carriers that I did lease to did not pay my fuel tax. I paid those myself. It is foolish to not be aware of what it costs to run your truck. Fueling in the wrong states can cost you a lot of money during the course of a year, even over and above any tax savings.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I factor in the cost of tolls when I look at my costs and fuel. If I have to pay for tolls, I usually won't purchase fuel in that state. Of course, the only way that I will pay a toll is if there is no other way to get to where I need to go. It is a pet peeve of mine.
I used to do that, but I came to the conclusion that it made more sense to compare the cost of running the toll road vs. not running it, both in time, wear and tear, and fuel. Surprisingly, I found that many toll roads I would have considered a waste of money are actually not. The PA turnpike is not one of those toll roads either. I run it if I have to, but I don't like doing it. Unfortunately, every load I pull out of PA is time sensitive, and running 322 up to I-80 is too much of a time waster.

BINGO!! AMEN!! I have tried to explain this a million times and it falls on deaf ears.....

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Board Icon

It didn't matter as much when fuel was cheap, but now that fuel is upwards of $4.00 per gallon, it adds up fast.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is more a matter of principle with me about the toll roads. That and the money. It just bugs me to pay double to run in a state. You pay the toll and also the fuel tax. As high as the tolls have gotten, it has offset much of any fuel savings you might have. If it made that much difference in the time savings on a time critical run, I would consider it. One of the last times I recall taking a toll road was a few years ago in a snow storm. I took the PA turnpike for a few miles rather than I-68. I felt the road would be more clear. It cost more than $20 for just a few miles. If it were to do over, I am not sure that I would have taken the toll road. I think that I would have been as well off on I-68. :?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Doesn't the tolls paid offset some of the fuel tax ? Maybe they only do it in New York like that ? You report how many miles you ran the Thruway and it goes towards the fuel tax or something to that effect so it won't be like totally paying double. I haven't dealt with it much. 8)
Closed Thread