User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dana/Suttles

Is there a big difference in Dana's terminals? I need to know once your out in the system, do you get reloads? or do you just sit?, have to find your own loads?, or do the terminals work together to get you a reload?

We live in Michigan and are looking at the Detroit Terminal on Caniff. There is also a terminal up north, as we live in Lakeport, either is just as close. My husband works at Quality Carriers right now, so he stopped in at the Detroit terminal and they said they want him asap. He wants lots of miles and likes longer runs. He likes to stay out for a few weeks than come home for a few days. But would do any type of loads including more local runs, he just want to be at a more organized company, who has lots of work.

Thanks for any information people can give me.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Dana/Suttles

Quote:
Originally Posted by san415
Is there a big difference in Dana's terminals? I need to know once your out in the system, do you get reloads? or do you just sit?, have to find your own loads?, or do the terminals work together to get you a reload?

We live in Michigan and are looking at the Detroit Terminal on Caniff. There is also a terminal up north, as we live in Lakeport, either is just as close. My husband works at Quality Carriers right now, so he stopped in at the Detroit terminal and they said they want him asap. He wants lots of miles and likes longer runs. He likes to stay out for a few weeks than come home for a few days. But would do any type of loads including more local runs, he just want to be at a more organized company, who has lots of work.

Carl at the Detroit terminal is a great guy,he won't BS ya.Forget the attitude of lots of miles,that isn't what pays in this business.It's all about deliveries and getting to your next load.

We don't have alot of longer runs,there are some out to Nevada and Arizona and a few to Cali. but I think you could do much better running between Detroit,Chicago and NJ.

Drivers are discouraged from calling terminals and asking about loads,they usually like to do it thru a central dispatch system.In 18 months I have never sat more than 1 1/2 days and that has been rare(once).

I work out of the Grayling terminal,but the Detroit terminal has access to any load I can get.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Dana/Suttles

Quote:

edit* I've been running my mouth a lot. :shock:
Old 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, Mike3fan and Cam
My husband has been at QC for over a year, he been driving along time though. There is a big difference in the terminals at QC. He changed terminals once, and told them 6 months ago he needed things to change, or he was going to have to go somewhere differnt. They keep telling him that they are going to be able to fix his concerns. But I think he is ready to leave. The man at Dana in Detroit asked him to switch to Dana. He has talked about Dana in the past, the thing that has stopped him before is the Qual Com. He is very fussy about the Kenworth and doesn't want a qual com on it. But he also wants better organization and better loads.

Mike3fan I read your topic line on here, very well done and interesting. You put alot of work into it, and it shows. Many of us read it who dont have a comment worth leaving, but still would like to thank you.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Mike3fan I read your topic line on here, very well done and interesting. You put alot of work into it, and it shows. Many of us read it who dont have a comment worth leaving, but still would like to thank you.
thanks,Dana does not use a qualcomm.At Suttles we use Intouch system fron Peoplenet.

There is talk of some changes coming in the next few months,but imo they should all be for the best.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 AM

I have been an O/O with Dana since March 10. Today I am sitting in LaPorte, Texas on a layover until Monday at the earliest. I rarely have less than a 24 hour layover between loads. It is one of the most frustrating things about running for Dana/Suttles.

There seems to be zero coordination between Central Dispatch and the various terminals. Certain favored drivers get loads out as soon as they get empty while others sit.

A perfect example is my week this week. Last week I had a load from Nitro WV to Jacksonville FL, but I had to return with the empty to Nitro, no choice. I live in Atlanta, so I went back north through Atlanta and spent Sunday at home. I left out Monday and arrived in Nitro first thing Tuesday Morning at 10:00 AM when dispatch opens at that terminal.

They say NO LOADS come see us tommorrow. I contact them at 10:00 on Wednesday as soon as they open. They give me no choices, I am told to take a load to Texas at $1.00 per mile or sit another day and they may have something for me and may not. Meanwhile other drivers are rolling out of the terminal with loads.

Now I sit in LaPorte, and hope I will get a load out on Monday. This is not the time to join Dana/Suttles IMHO.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McGraw
I have been an O/O with Dana since March 10. Today I am sitting in LaPorte, Texas on a layover until Monday at the earliest. I rarely have less than a 24 hour layover between loads. It is one of the most frustrating things about running for Dana/Suttles.

There seems to be zero coordination between Central Dispatch and the various terminals. Certain favored drivers get loads out as soon as they get empty while others sit.

A perfect example is my week this week. Last week I had a load from Nitro WV to Jacksonville FL, but I had to return with the empty to Nitro, no choice. I live in Atlanta, so I went back north through Atlanta and spent Sunday at home. I left out Monday and arrived in Nitro first thing Tuesday Morning at 10:00 AM when dispatch opens at that terminal.

They say NO LOADS come see us tommorrow. I contact them at 10:00 on Wednesday as soon as they open. They give me no choices, I am told to take a load to Texas at $1.00 per mile or sit another day and they may have something for me and may not. Meanwhile other drivers are rolling out of the terminal with loads.

Now I sit in LaPorte, and hope I will get a load out on Monday. This is not the time to join Dana/Suttles IMHO.
WWWHHHOOOOAAAA......!!!!!!! :shock:

:lol: Ouch! Man, do I feel you!!! I think everybody can understand and feel how it must be for you there right now. And, thanks for the info, though it isn't my thread and I wasn't the one who asked the question.

Some are anticipating freight prices rising, but that doesn't mean freight volume will be rising. In my case, I recognized my current gig as security in uncertain times. Though I don't make what the percentage O/O's make, as I've said, I'm supposed to get my loads on a silver platter.

Thanks for calling it straight, Paul.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I have been with Dana since 2004 when Krajack tank lines were taken over by Dana.

I NEVER sit except when I go to a Suttles terminal, so I don't go to them. I call and get my own loads, Suttles central dispatch is a joke, and is going away ( thankfully).

I stay in the Dana system, one thing though, if you have a problem with going to the northeast, don't bother signing up, plain and simple Dana is based out of Jersey and has LOTS of work going that way.

I run NJ, Chicago, W Va, those are the best money lanes, I have 10% deadhead.I am home EVERY weekend, and am only a little behind Mike in earnings, which works very well for me,since my truck is long been paid for and I really have no write offs, so I work a little less.

QC is all independently owned terminals, most of the terminal owners have trucks of their own, and lots of relatives, friends, favorites etc, it would NOT be a consideration for me to work there EVER, i'd rather pull a van.

QC has been for sale for a few years now, the owners want OUT of it, Schneider was interested but backed out.

Like Mike said FORGET miles, just watch run where the terminals are, and minimize the deadhead.

Paul, you have to call the Dana terminal close to where you are unloading, you have to let them know what you are doing, Suttles central dispatch does NOT have the Dana computer system, all they can do is call for you, do it yourself.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Yep,if I was told no loads today out of Nitro,I would be calling Grove City,Friendly and anywhere else I could.I wouldn't just leave it to CD.

My buddy is in LaPorte this weekend,he said they were busy,he said like 5 loads left for IL and IN.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Yep,if I was told no loads today out of Nitro,I would be calling Grove City,Friendly and anywhere else I could.I wouldn't just leave it to CD.

My buddy is in LaPorte this weekend,he said they were busy,he said like 5 loads left for IL and IN.
Well, I don't know what to think about all this. I really am in LaPorte, right now, and have no chance of a load till Monday. So if others are getting loads out, that just proves my point about favoritism for some drivers.

I have been repeatedly told never to call the terminals. But you guys tell me that is just a lie and I am really supposed to call the terminals? I call my dispatcher in Atlanta (Morrow) every day as instructed and she is SUPPOSED to coordinate with Central Dispatch to line up loads. But I am forbidden to EVER call Central Dispatch. Is that a lie also? Am I really supposed to be calling Central Dispatch?

Friday afternoon I broke the rules and called LaPorte to tell them I was dropping in Brownsville Friday night and would be back in Houston about noon Saturday and ready for a load. I also needed to ask them if they had a preference for an empty for me to bring from Brownsville, so I had an excuse for calling.

The LaPorte guy tells me he "wished he knew" I was coming in because he had plenty of loads Friday morning and he could have gotten me lined up with something if he knew I was going to be in Houston Saturday. :!: But as of that moment he had nothing and I would have to wait for Monday.

What kind of messed up system is this when if you do what they tell you to do you get screwed! :?:

And as for getting home!!!! :evil: Since March 10 I have had exactly THREE loads that too me to Atlanta. Otherwise, if I want to go home I have to deadhead hundreds of miles or like last weekend, beg for a load through Atlanta and try to get at least one day with my family. Please don't tell me you get loads into Atlanta alll the time, it only matters to me if I GET WHAT THEY PROMISED WHICH I AM NOT!