User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
Sorry, I wasn't completely up on the history of your respective tanker experiences. Sounds like I myself might avoid looking into these outfits, though. Had given some thought to talking to Superior since they have a terminal in my area.
As bad as tanks can be sometimes, it really is better than dry van on average. I have never done refer or flat, so I dont know about them but tanks is better than dry van. I would be broke for sure if I was trying to make it on dry van money.

I gues part of my trouble is that I am mad to be away from home and my family on father's day. Oh well, such is life. Got to learn to take bad with the even worse. :lol:
Old 06-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
Sorry, I wasn't completely up on the history of your respective tanker experiences. Sounds like I myself might avoid looking into these outfits, though. Had given some thought to talking to Superior since they have a terminal in my area.
Don't apologize, why should you keep up with where everyone has worked. I thought it made for a great laugh!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I love taking time off!!!

I'm getting a slacker trophy made up for you now :lol:

Paul, Mike has it right, do it that way.

Don't take any CRAP from anyone, its your truck, your money, let them know, I sure do. See Suttles and LTC are forced dispatch, Dana is NOT, thats why the Suttles dispatchers don't like the Dana drivers, we don't have to do anything we don't want to do.

Charlotte, another bad place, ole Ben Wood is trying to make a name for himself, at Dana its like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but no one notices. Fayetteville NC, much better to deal with, Friendly, Nitro, even Louisville, good loads out of all of them.

Fayetteville NC, and Grove City Oh, about the only Suttles terminals worth going too.

LaPorte, not worth much either

Cam, $1.05 loaded and 95 M/T ? and forced too?

Cam, when unloading let the reciever know that you are inexperienced, they will watch and make sure you do it right, remember do not be afraid to ask for help, some of these chemicals can make some major changes in your well being.

Remember the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Running my mouth tooo much. :wink:
Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac
Cam, $1.05 loaded and 95 M/T ? and forced too?

Cam, when unloading let the reciever know that you are inexperienced, they will watch and make sure you do it right, remember do not be afraid to ask for help, some of these chemicals can make some major changes in your well being.

Remember the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!!
Yes, those pay rates and fsc adjusted to $1.25/gal. Yes and no on the forced dispatch. Like this, the recruiter says non-forced dispatch and they'll offer you a few loads, whatever they have. The reality, they tell you, they don't offer you anything, and you do have the right to refuse, but no layover until they get around to offering you another one. The newbie dispatcher said it is forced dispatched, and when I told him what the recruiter said, he came back from talking to his boss saying just what I told you, that I can refuse a load, but....

I tried that about asking for advice from the guy at the consignee. I told him it was my first trip, and everything. I was doing fine until he gave me advice... :lol:

The thing that has my goat right now is this, the contract says:
Quote:
"layover $165 per 24 hour period- needs prior approval"
So what do they do? They run me hard out here, in violation of company policy, and now I need a 34 hour reset. The dispatcher tells me you don't get layover unless you are able to drive. That means, no layover during the 34 hour reset.

On top of that, I'm sitting for about 64 hours this weekend and it sounds like they want to call all that my reset and pay me no layover.

I'd like to hear the opinions of everyone on that. It looks like I've got to dig in my heels and demand they abide by the terms of the contract. 1) do I demand layover during the reset? 2) do I demand layover during the other 30 hours of the weekend? I've been battling since I got here and I'm a little weary- I haven't mentioned the difficulty I've had getting paid. But, my inclination is to insist upon the contract as stated, even if that means seeing a lawyer to find out how much leverage I have with them.
Cam..don't let any dispatcher trick you out of your layover pay. If you have to layover..34 hour reset or not, file the paperwork for every 24 hour period you sit. Don't let that 34 reset BS fly. They knew when you were dispatched to Cali, how long it would take before you were empty, and they knew to have a load planned for you, once you are empty. Layover pay is billed to the customer...don't let them tell you otherwise.

Obviously you have a laptop and internet service on the road. Each load that is "offered" you, check the mileage..add 10% for out of route useage...divide by the miles per hour that Quality is telling you to average, add in the required break periods, plus 8 hours on each end for loading and unloading. Drive time, break time, load & unload gives you a fair approximation of the hours you need for the load. Once you know that..you can guess-timate whether you will need a lay-over or not. If they do not have a pre-plan load for you when you leave with a load..then you have to figure on at least 1 24 hour layover.

Few of the loads you will be offered are "new" loads for QC. Those are loads that they move on a regular basis, and they have in their computers exactly what the averages are for each load.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Hey, thanks man. All this layover is new, I didn't have to worry about it with a box. I didn't get any. :lol:

Cam..don't let any dispatcher trick you out of your layover pay. If you have to layover..34 hour reset or not, file the paperwork for every 24 hour period you sit. Don't let that 34 reset BS fly. They knew when you were dispatched to Cali, how long it would take before you were empty, and they knew to have a load planned for you, once you are empty. Layover pay is billed to the customer...don't let them tell you otherwise. We aren't talking about detention, I don't think the customer pays for it. I'm going to push for the second layover day, I'm wondering about this first one. I don't want to lose out on long distance runs because I make them pay me during a reset. I'd rather have no layover during reset than have them running me around some other areas of the country on short runs.
Obviously you have a laptop and internet service on the road. Each load that is "offered" you, check the mileage..add 10% for out of route useage...divide by the miles per hour that Quality is telling you to average, add in the required break periods, plus 8 hours on each end for loading and unloading. Drive time, break time, load & unload gives you a fair approximation of the hours you need for the load. Once you know that..you can guess-timate whether you will need a lay-over or not. If they do not have a pre-plan load for you when you leave with a load..then you have to figure on at least 1 24 hour layover. Man, you really pad your travel times, don't you? That's the way I like to run, sure and steady. Man, what's wrong with eating in a restaurant, chewing your food, hell, I'll even shower everyday if I have the time. :lol: I haven't had a dispatcher in a couple years, this is going to take some getting used to. It sounds like you have enough experience to quickly figure things out in your head and dictate the pace. That's what I'd like to do.

Few of the loads you will be offered are "new" loads for QC. Those are loads that they move on a regular basis, and they have in their computers exactly what the averages are for each load.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Cam....Detention is a whole new ball game! For me...If I'm not going to get detention..I sure as heck don't want the company to get paid detention! If I am going to get hit with waiting while loading or unloading...I want the pay !!

I am serious about "Lay-over" being charged to the customer. None of these tanker companies are in this to be nice. Each load is usually a "known" load. All the times are in the computer, and the companies charge evey single item they possibly can...... layover pay is one of the chargeables. When you go into Canada...there is a "Border Crossing" charge...make sure you get your cut of that !!! Don't let them get away with anything you don't have to !!

I've crossed the border 6 times in the last year. Have received my cut of the charge each time..and didn't even know I was due it.

Sit down with "long time" Quality operators...ask them the questions you have...see what they have to say!!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

So I said to myself, 'self, STFU!' 8)
Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Cam, you need to know what is in your contract and hold your company to it. They would certainly make sure that you complied with all the terms. If you are entitled to layover or detention pay then you should file the needed paperwork. All you are doing is costing yourself money. Remember, this is a business. When you file for layover or detention pay you are only filing for something which you are entitled. Your time has value. If the company wants you to layover and they have agreed to pay you then you really should file whatever paperwork is necessary to get your money.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member