User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McGraw
Friday afternoon I broke the rules and called LaPorte to tell them I was dropping in Brownsville Friday night and would be back in Houston about noon Saturday and ready for a load. I also needed to ask them if they had a preference for an empty for me to bring from Brownsville, so I had an excuse for calling.

The LaPorte guy tells me he "wished he knew" I was coming in because he had plenty of loads Friday morning and he could have gotten me lined up with something if he knew I was going to be in Houston Saturday. :!: But as of that moment he had nothing and I would have to wait for Monday.
Ok this explains some of it,if I am gonna be coming into a terminal late in the week like that I give them as much notice as I can.As soon as I am loaded and on my way I give them an ETA and ask if they might have something to do over the weekend.It's all about communication and if my dispatcher isn't getting it done for ME then I will take care of myself how I see fit.

You have to look at it like a dispatcher,if you have a load to move are you gonna wait around and hope someone calls in late in the afternoon? I would think that I would get that load covered anyway I could and as quickly as possible.

Things are gonna change in the dispatch area at Suttles very soon,so they may get better,but I will continue to make sure I let the terminal I am going to know what is happening.I do not call the terminal on a normal weekday until I am available for dispatch and after I have talked to my dispatcher.

You have to realize that alot of this comes with time and getting to have a personal relationship with some of these terminals,I can call Crestwood,Grove City,Detroit and Friendly any time and they would give me their schedule for the whole week for the most part,only because I have hauled countless loads for them and they know me and that I will not screw them. Also it comes with learning what loads and what days they have them,I can figure out a couple of options as soon as I know where I am going,and them I might send them a message asking if they are gonna have so and so load again going to Blah Blah and if I could make it work when I get in?

You are not alone in having to sit though,I have been in Charlotte since Thursday night and my next load picks up Monday afternoon at 1600.It's a long story and only my opinion but I feel that this terminal is a bunch of lying self promoters and I will do everything to avoid the Charlotte terminal in the future.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
You are not alone in having to sit though,I have been in Charlotte since Thursday night and my next load picks up Monday afternoon at 1600.It's a long story and only my opinion but I feel that this terminal is a bunch of lying self promoters and I will do everything to avoid the Charlotte terminal in the future.
I am not surprised about Charlotte, my one time at that terminal was enough to convince me to stay away if I can.

I guess I am just going to have to learn to ignore the rules and call, call, call, just like you have been telling me. It doesn't fit my personality as it bothers me when things do not work like they are supposed to work, but I need income, so I will call and beg, call and beg, call and beg.

I sure hope the upcoming changes at the end of this month don't make things even worse.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Board Regular

Paul, maybe you could consider Superior Carriers? They also have quite a few terminals in the southeast including Atlanta. There a few people here on CAD who are leased to them or work for them and they sound fairly content.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
Paul, maybe you could consider Superior Carriers? They also have quite a few terminals in the southeast including Atlanta. There a few people here on CAD who are leased to them or work for them and they sound fairly content.
Both me and Paul are laughing at that one.....LOL,sorry inside joke.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
Both me and Paul are laughing at that one.....LOL,sorry inside joke.
I get your point, RCR. It's all really just Paul, nothing every satisfies him, he can never get along with anyone...LOLOLO... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Paul already tried us and it didn't work out for him, hence the move to Dana! :wink:

Yes we have many happy drivers who post here at Superior but the majority are company drivers. When it comes to comparing apples-to-apples as to being a chemical tank O/O and running system freight with Maniac, Mike, Paul, and myself we honestly can't since I run an out loaded-and-back empty dedicated account for Superior. I make less but take a lot of time off. All I know is that I'm very happy with the situation I'm personally in, and confident that if I ran system freight vice dedicated my numbers could be right up there with Mike's to a degree... Except that again, I love taking time off!!! :lol:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 06-15-2008, 03:22 PM

Thanks Cam. I think. :?

How did the drive to California go?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
Paul already tried us and it didn't work out for him, hence the move to Dana! . . . I love taking time off!!! :lol:
Superior was great at first. Sadly the terminal manager increased the number of drivers out of the Atlanta terminal from 8 to over 30 in one year and it ruined it for the drivers. You couldn't get a load home, and if you did get home you couldn't get a load back out again. (This is very similar to the situation for Dana in Charlotte.)

Of course management loved it that there were always plenty of drivers sitting around in Atlanta going broke because then they never had to turn down a load our of Atlanta. I don't think management at any of these companies really care about making drivers happy or keeping their word.

They were so thrilled with the way the Atlanta terminal manager thoroughly screwed the drivers that he got a promotion. True! :lol:
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Been running my mouth a lot. :lol:
Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Board Regular

Sorry, I wasn't completely up on the history of your respective tanker experiences. Sounds like I myself might avoid looking into these outfits, though. Had given some thought to talking to Superior since they have a terminal in my area.