User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
If you look on the map going from Grand Junction,CO to Durango, CO you don't have much of a choice.

That one picture of the curvy part is NOTHING. I was too scared to reach for my camera on the really bad stuff and I would have liked to video tape it. I mean, trucks should NOT be allowed on this road. There are no barriers and it's like a 2,000 foot drop to your death.

I was loaded real light going to pick up another LTL load. I've started doing that more and more and in fact doing yet another one right now heading back to Vermont. Good money in it for sure and if I stopped picking up stuff right now I would end up at around $2.25 per mile for the whole trip including dead head to home.

I'm going to do more and should end up from Salt Lake to Vermont to home around $3.50 per mile.

Oh, and by the way. I met Pepe in Salt Lake when he knocked on my door.
Hey! Was just razzin ya...I hope ya know!! The "Widowmaker" is a beach of a road. I drove it a couple times in the early 80's in an International Paystar5000...spring ride..hard seat...and armstrong steering. Cutting off 50 at Wheatridge and going across through Telluride is a bit longer..and a bit higher in elevation...but ton's better driving.

I considered crossing over through Ouray this mornng,to shave miles off my trip home from Oregon, but went down through Cortez and Shiprock instead...have 400 pounds of pure evil in the tank I'm pulling..and just didn't want to risk that mountain.

Good deal on piecing together LTL's Steve. More than one way to skin a cat with these fuel prices.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Senior Board Member

No offense taken there Boo Boo Bear. I'm sitting up here in Vermont after delivering to two different stops. Heading over to the Rigmaster dealer that put my unit in to get the generator replaced under warrenty. I guess just about every one has failed on this particular year. The dealer said they replaced 4 last week.

The car muffler I had put on the APU made a huge difference. I can only hear the fan running now with the heat on.

I have one load left on my truck and it delivers in Mass. I could maybe deliver it today but I'm going to stop at home for the weekend and deliver on Monday.

Coming into Vermont yesterday they had a manditory rest area DOT inspection for people running off road diesel. I told the guy I wanted an inspection and he said no. I said WTF, nobody will inspect me and I needed one more for a safety rating. Well, I got it. Scored perfect and got my sticker for the truck and trailer. He also told me that either next week or the week after is a nation wide blitz on truck inspections.

These LTL loads crack me up. As soon as I get loaded the broker calls and asks when the load will get there because the customer just called and needs it right away. I say, well, he should have ordered a whole truck, I'll be there in 7 to 10 days. Then they freak out. I say, well, you can pay me $500 now and I'll take it off and you can get another truck. Then I call the customer and they usually tell me they could care less when it gets there.

One of the brokers is in hot water with a contract for going between MO and Mass that I have on now. It's been on the boards for a long time as LTL and should have been delivered more than 2 weeks ago. The customer is flipping out and needs it real bad. When I was loaded the broker called and said it needed to be delivered in 2 days and that was over 1,300 miles. I said no, it will get there in 7 days. He flipped out like the others and I read him the riot act.

I then called the customer and come to find out, they were paying good money to move this on a dedicated truck. I told them the broker listed it as an LTL instead of a full load and is keeping the rest of the money. They have been telling the customer they can't get any trucks. They listed the load as paying $900 and I got it for $1,900. I told the customer that and they were BS. I'm assuming they were paying a LOT MORE!!! I told the customer from now on, make the broker list a fair rate on the load boards and the load will move that day. I think the broker is history with this customer.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Ahhh, LTL. the joys and headaches of LTL are paralell with HHG. They pay good though
Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Steve How about this hood ornament.

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...4GEM1.JE1.html

Mike
Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9200IH
Steve How about this hood ornament.

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...4GEM1.JE1.html

Mike
No way, that thing is scary!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 AM

It has to be hands down one of the prettiest roads I've been on and given the weather can be one of the scariest. I think Ouray is also one of the coolest towns.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't remember Ouray but then again I don't remember anything other than keeping my wheels from going over the cliff.

I do remember Montrose thinking this can't be the Montrose I rode through last year, it's a huge spread out city. The Montrose I was in had a little bitty center of town with a coffee shop and laundry because I stopped there. Then I rode by a side street and realized that was it and must have been the old town before it grew up. I had no idea. Funny how you can turn a corner and your perception changes in a heart beat.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Ouray is at the bottom of Red mtn, it isn't much of a town but is pretty with the backdrop of the Rockies. I stopped there to eat after going through the passes with 45000 on the deck, me and the truck needed a break :lol: