User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New legislation aims to help O/O recoup fuel costs

Jeff Berman, Group News Editor -- Logistics Management, 4/25/2008
WASHINGTON—A new piece of bipartisan legislation pledges to lend a much-needed hand to owner-operator truckers by passing 100 percent of the fuel surcharges charged to shippers back to truckers, rather than freight brokers.

The bill, entitled “The Trust in Reliable Understanding of Consumer Costs (TRUCC) Act, was introduced by Senators Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine) and Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio). The senators said in a statement that this bill “would free small business operators and carriers from the stranglehold of unscrupulous brokers and middle-men who charge shippers for fuel costs but refuse to pass those costs on to operators that actually pay for the fuel.

This bill comes less than a week after Snowe introduced the “Diesel Parity Tax Act,” which would lower the federal diesel tax from 24.3 cents per gallon to 18.3 cents, matching retail diesel.

Snowe added that because there is currently no uniform fuel surcharge standard, small truckers are often at the mercy of freight brokers, logistics intermediaries, and larger trucking companies.

This situation, in turn, had led to owner-operators recently stage a “shutdown” on April 1 in protest of high diesel prices.

Prior to the actual shutdown, OOIDA Spokesperson Norita Taylor told LM that the OOIDA would like Congress to enact legislation mandating 100 percent pass through of fuel surcharges and transparency in those transactions, noting that when prices on store shelves go up, it is not because of truckers, but because they are seeing theses rises trickle down to them because of brokers of middle-men.

“We think the good, honest brokers, will likely be supportive of this bill, because they recognize that their customers are not just shippers, but also truckers,” Taylor said in an interview earlier today. “Right now, freight is slow. But it won’t always be that way. Plus, shippers will appreciate this bill because it provides the assurances that the higher amounts they are asked to pay out because of fuel prices are indeed being used for just that.

Other recent fuel-related developments include:

the American Trucking Associations calling on the White House to release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to curtail the run-up, which is hurting the economy and the trucking industry in particular; and

Presidential candidate John McCain calling for the suspension of the motor vehicle fuel tax between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

"Shippers are accustomed to paying fuel surcharges when fuel costs spike," Senator Brown said in a statement. "But there is no guarantee these surcharges go to the people who pay at the pump. With diesel prices at an all-time high, this bill would help…truckers who find hauling goods too costly or impossible."
Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unless this bill has some real repercussions or accountability for non-accountability I don't see it as having much effect. That is part of the problem for the last bill they tried to pass. I think transparency and a pass through is a good idea if there is some accountability attached. Otherwise, it is just another feel good piece of legislation.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Is anyone interested in discussing the language in the bill?

It has been introduced as an amendment to title 49 sec.14102:

49 USC 14102 - Sec. 14102. Leased motor vehicles
Does this mean that it applies only to OWNER/OPERATORS that are leased to a Carrier?

‘‘(2) at the time payment is made under para
graph (1), a written list that specifically identifies
any freight charge, brokerage fee or commission,
fuel surcharge or adjustment, and any other charges
invoiced or otherwise presented to the person de
scribed in paragraph (1).’’

This goes way beyond fuel surcharges. Looks like transparency to me?

(b) BILLING AND COLLECTION PRACTICES.—Section
13708(b) of title 49, United States Code, is amended to
read as follows:

•HR 5934 IH
‘‘(b) FALSE OR MISLEADING INFORMATION.—No
person may cause a motor carrier, broker, or freight for
warder to present false or misleading information on a
document or in an oral representation about the actual
rate, charge, or allowance to any party to the transaction
or transportation.’’.

If you discover that a person has misrepresented the rate "at the time payment is made", has he committed a crime, and would it be a misdemeanor or felony? Or would it need to be settled in Civil Court?

All in all, it's a small step forward. However, it is clear that our lawmakers don't understand how the trucking business works these days. They will need input from our side as this bill moves through committee and is debated on the floor.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member

It drives me nuts when I hear that the fuel surcharge doesn't always go to the person who is PAYING for the DANGED FUEL.

I'm going to stop posting now so as to avoid a really long rant. People are just crooks.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Unless this bill has some real repercussions or accountability for non-accountability I don't see it as having much effect. That is part of the problem for the last bill they tried to pass. I think transparency and a pass through is a good idea if there is some accountability attached. Otherwise, it is just another feel good piece of legislation.
If this is how you feel, then why not voice this opinion at the OOIDA forums as well.
I'm getting kicked all over the place for the same opinion.
How bout a little support?

Just when the bottom feeders are starting to drop like flies, OOIDA wants to help them stay in business.
WHY????
Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

OK, hoohaa. I posted on the OOIDA board.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety bird
It drives me nuts when I hear that the fuel surcharge doesn't always go to the person who is PAYING for the DANGED FUEL.

I'm going to stop posting now so as to avoid a really long rant. People are just crooks.
It drives me nuts when I hear that there are supposed businessmen that will accept a load knowing there isn't enough $$ in it to make a profit.

Tell me again why do we need legislation to protect stupid people? :roll:

Suppose this law passes and the brokers just play with the numbers lowering the rate and adding a FSC. Half of these boneheads would be wetting themselves that they are getting a FSC when in reality the load pays the same as before. It is all smoke and mirrors.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When you discuss fsc and rates it is a matter of semantics. Which is better, a load that pays $2/mile or one that pays $1.50 plus a $0.50 fsc? You see, it is the same money just readjusted to make the owner feel that they are making more money. If you need $2/mile then don't take a load for less than that rate. Don't worry about the fsc. It is the same dollars. A fsc is a way for carriers to get a higher rate without asking the shipper for more money on the line haul. The carrier and broker should have the intestinal fortitude to ask for a fair rate and then they would not need to worry about the fsc. I checked over the bill and don't see any real value with the way it is worded. It is only a feel good piece of legislation which wastes paper, time and money. There is no teeth in the legislation. Without accountability is is merely an exercise in futility. I agree that 100% of the fsc collected should pass through to whomever buys the fuel. This will not do any more for the owner than charging a decent rate. Notice that I said "CHARGE!" In other words, the owner needs to take charge of his business rather than going into this with his hat in his hand begging for a fsc. Demand a decent rate and you will get it! If you own the truck you are the one in charge of the rate. It isn't the broker or shipper who determines rates, but the carrier. You can either charge a fair rate or take what is offered and probably go broke. It seems like a simple choice to me.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
OK, hoohaa. I posted on the OOIDA board.
Thank you, I just read it.
You do have a way with words. :lol:
Old 05-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon