User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Right or wrong !

I have been meaning to throw this out there and would like your opinions . As you all know it is customary to get on the CB and announce the location of a Patrol or Dot if you pass one. I decided when I first started not to do so . One reason is I feel there are too many law breakers out there and if they are driving legel then thay should have no problem running up on either one. I am an easy going guy and will do whatever I can to help someone out but I feel this is where I draw the line. What do you guys think ?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Default post

I was always of the other opinion because I hauled produce ca. to hunts pt, and chelsea, ma. solo with max time given of 3 days and at times 2.5 days. I enjoyed riding like this and would not ride any other way, produce is'nt for everyone and solo very few on a coast to coast basis. With these time limits I have stopped countless times to help other drivers and turned around many times to pick up a broken down driver and give them a ride to a truckstop where they could get help and be around familiar company. I would still make my del. on time, just floorboard it a little more and in 20 years off and on never an accident, bump, but yes a scrath or two. So yes go back to the old days and say it loud; that smokey is in the comedian at the 175 mm. Oh and only 4 speeding tickets, 3 were 65 in a 55-ca. and oh. but like 6 log book tickets the cheapest being one in pa. for running from ca. and stopped in pa. two days later with no log book. Seriously; the drivers that ride the day and the night have and will continue to do so with or without your help, we always have.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

And this is in the o/o forum because it applies only to us?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Darren, I think when you've been driving a while you will see things differently.

I am all for safe and legal but consider that there might be an extraordinary circumstance that puts you outside the letter of the law for a short time.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
And this is in the o/o forum because it applies only to us?
Maybe he thought if he put it the new driver section he would get a hundred questions asking "What's a c.b.? 10-4
Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I drive 60-62 mph. The reason I give warning to dot's or any law enforcement is to warn truckers of the 4 wheelers who will be braking all over the place, even though they are not speeding. I cannot tell you how many times I had to get on my brakes hard because both lanes would almost stop because they saw a police car in the median. they would go from 65 to 45 real quick & no where to go around them. Sooooo for me it's just to warn the truck drivers of the potential 4 wheelers that are about to do their manuvers.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiptwoo
I was always of the other opinion because I hauled produce ca. to hunts pt, and chelsea, ma. solo with max time given of 3 days and at times 2.5 days. I enjoyed riding like this and would not ride any other way, produce is'nt for everyone and solo very few on a coast to coast basis. With these time limits I have stopped countless times to help other drivers and turned around many times to pick up a broken down driver and give them a ride to a truckstop where they could get help and be around familiar company. I would still make my del. on time, just floorboard it a little more and in 20 years off and on never an accident, bump, but yes a scrath or two. So yes go back to the old days and say it loud; that smokey is in the comedian at the 175 mm. Oh and only 4 speeding tickets, 3 were 65 in a 55-ca. and oh. but like 6 log book tickets the cheapest being one in pa. for running from ca. and stopped in pa. two days later with no log book. Seriously; the drivers that ride the day and the night have and will continue to do so with or without your help, we always have.

The days of the BBR running 2-3 days solo from Ca. to Huntz point are almost over or have already ended. In this day and age one logbook ticket can mean hefty fines and even possible jailtime. Not to mention being put out of service and forced to catch up on your hours the hard way. If you get involved in a nasty wreck you will automatically be at fault even if the doofus was an idiot drunk. The risks of running like an outlaw and with all the b.s. involved isn't worth it. Logbook tickets now show up on your mvr too if you just pay the fine. The sooner those drivers go out of business the better.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
I drive 60-62 mph. The reason I give warning to dot's or any law enforcement is to warn truckers of the 4 wheelers who will be braking all over the place, even though they are not speeding. I cannot tell you how many times I had to get on my brakes hard because both lanes would almost stop because they saw a police car in the median. they would go from 65 to 45 real quick & no where to go around them. Sooooo for me it's just to warn the truck drivers of the potential 4 wheelers that are about to do their manuvers.
Agreed. That is one good reason and not to mention some speed limits are just ridiculous. A 45mph const. zone limit when there is NO workers,barrels,or even any construction going on.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Right or wrong !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
I have been meaning to throw this out there and would like your opinions . As you all know it is customary to get on the CB and announce the location of a Patrol or Dot if you pass one. I decided when I first started not to do so . One reason is I feel there are too many law breakers out there and if they are driving legel then thay should have no problem running up on either one. I am an easy going guy and will do whatever I can to help someone out but I feel this is where I draw the line. What do you guys think ?
if you don't want to do it don't. why do you need our opinion? make a decision and stand by it. who cares what other people think. you won't be the only truck with his "ears" off and i'm sure there will be plenty of others giving the bear report. :roll:
Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 AM
Board Regular

Thanks for all replies . To clear things up , although I am new to trucking I am an 0/0 . I can see where my decision to not 10/20 the bear's might not be the best or most popular decision but as stated it is probably a mute point since some other trucker will surely make the announcement . Ever since Istarted driving some 32 years ago I never flashed my lights to warn others if I were to spot a patrol .Guess I have old habits . I am not mister goody two shoes but I figure a few speeding tickets or what ever the case may be will make the roads a bit safer. Now for a question , If I were to get on the CB and announce a DOT , could he not hear this on his CB and pretty much figure who made the announcement ? I ask this since I do run pretty much the same route
and will certainly run up on the same dot guys . I am thinking that he could target me . Anyway I might give this some more thought .