User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

From that other board thread, this illustrates my point perfectly..

One poster asks a legitimate question:
Quote:
just want to know if this is finally a point when we are going to get serious, or is it just venting.
The fact that he asks it is because no one is ever serious. That is proven by the next two responses.

The next poster says"
Quote:
April 15 High-noon!
What, are we in a western or something? :roll: Ya'll make sure you strap on yer chaps and 6-shooters! Geez....

Next poster says:
Quote:
too far out i say we do it friday evening march 14 and run it all the way till the prices of fuel drop, or it causes freight rates to go up
Great! 1 day to plan and everyone shuts down permanently. They lose their homes, their families, their livlihoods. Yeah, that's smart.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This is why when the majority of people hear about a trucker's strike, they laugh derisively and go about their business.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 PM

LEadership is the problem I agree. The biggest problem with lack of leadership is the very nature of trucking. We love this industry for the very reason that it provides us with the independance which is so attractive to our personality types so every time anyone talks about anything coming near getting together people start screaming about sounding like unions. I don't like unins any more then the next guy, My whole family is union and I've seen the decline of unions first hand.
DO I think 20 or 30 people will make a difference to the industry as a whole? no, but mabey it will make enough difference to enough people that next time it may be 200.
A mass strike isn't going to happen ever. And the guys screaming to shut down the trucks on the interstate better be ready to be hung out to dry. But I think the public needs to know and I think you said the mosts pertinant thing I have read TF, that people need to hold the government accountable to do what is right by the people who elected them. And I don't know about you but I am sure not feeling very represented at this moment except by the bankruptcy lawyers in America.
I just say to make it known to anyone who will listen that we are dieing out here and it won't be long before we just simply can not haul the goods anymore. Trucks are being parked left and right. I'm looking at freight on the boards at $.95 to $1.30 mile. WHo can haul for that. Back in the early nineties I ran for no less then $1/mile with a reefer and fuel was $.85 a gallon.
I really love driving a truck. I may hate allot about the industry at this time but I sure would like to see something happen so that I could afford to put my truck back on the road.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
From that other board thread, this illustrates my point perfectly..

One poster asks a legitimate question:
Quote:
just want to know if this is finally a point when we are going to get serious, or is it just venting.
The fact that he asks it is because no one is ever serious. That is proven by the next two responses.

The next poster says"
Quote:
April 15 High-noon!
What, are we in a western or something? :roll: Ya'll make sure you strap on yer chaps and 6-shooters! Geez....

Next poster says:
Quote:
too far out i say we do it friday evening march 14 and run it all the way till the prices of fuel drop, or it causes freight rates to go up
Great! 1 day to plan and everyone shuts down permanently. They lose their homes, their families, their livlihoods. Yeah, that's smart.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This is why when the majority of people hear about a trucker's strike, they laugh derisively and go about their business.
Well here is a theme song they could use as they roll into D.C. at HIGH NOON !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGIel...eature=related
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM

sure lets just take the worst few posts and clip them out. That helps. Wait I thnk you missed a few even dumber let me go find them or ya and post those too.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I'm not disagreeing with you at all MM. I'm just saying someone needs to get smart and organized about it. You don't need many...100 or so would be an effective and visible demonstration, if you do it in DC where it matter. Anywhere else and your just peeing into the wind.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

MM, there's 26 pages to that thread right now. No one here disagrees that there is a reason to protest. But the only good comment to come out of that was heading to DC and dropping the trucks to 15 MPH. Now, I'd wait until you were about 50 miles out, but I can't imagine a more effective demonstration than having 100 or so trucks lined up and heading to the capital at 15 MPH. Be a good way to get things fired up.

Quote:
Wait I thnk you missed a few even dumber let me go find them or ya and post those too.
I don't think we have enough bandwidth here. :roll:

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 PM

[/quote]I don't think we have enough bandwidth here. :roll:[/quote]

lol... ya... Come on, a big spender like you. Plenty of bandwidth..

Oh there is a few good ideas but of course the most outlandish get the attention.

I like that one too. unfortunatly I don't think anyone would ever get anywhere near the white house.

there is much to loose by doing nothing and nothing to loose by writing your papers, your congressmen, anyone who will listen. Sooner or later someone will take notice.
I think asking for government to step in and slap oil companies and brokers on the knuckles and make them play nice is about the worst idea in the world. I would LOVE to see transparency in brokers fees though. That is my "radical" wish.
In the end my truck is old and decreped but it is paid for so it will be here when everyone else is in bankruptcy and the rates go back up!! :lol:
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
I like that one too. unfortunatly I don't think anyone would ever get anywhere near the white house.
DC is where you want to protest. Period. That's ground zero. And you don't have to be at the White House, but you can certainly take up a lot of street parking nearby. Then hike on over to Pennsylvania Ave with lawn chairs, coolers, and signs. Stake out the sidewalks and protest away.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
DC is where you want to protest. Period. That's ground zero. And you don't have to be at the White House, but you can certainly take up a lot of street parking nearby. Then hike on over to Pennsylvania Ave with lawn chairs, coolers, and signs. Stake out the sidewalks and protest away.
Ya, that's a good point. See that's what I mean. Some guy spouts up and says "Park them in the rose garden" and then from that second on nobody takes anything seriously..... And you know all our social skills are oh so well refined in this industry... j/k

It just gets so darn disapointing when I think of the life we had carved out of trucking 15 years ago compared to now. It's the job I love to hate and hate to love.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: What can we do about these Diesel prices????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GIVEN
Im thinking we should all figure a good week or so to shutdown. That should send a good message to he gas companies. Its all about supply and demand, even if we stop going out to eat in our personal vehicles or stop being frivolous in our travels. I dont know if I can afford going a week, but im not sure how much I can take of these diesel prices. What does everyone think?
SLOW DOWN!

Watch my YouTube videos