LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks and welcome to the board.

More questions:
Based on what you see from shippers and rates:
1) What's the highest paying lane been lately (in all of North America)?
2) If you were a one truck trucking company and could only buy one type of trailer, what trailer would it be and why?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBROKER32
Trust me, we lose money on loads on a daily basis.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I will do my best to answer them.
You are telling the wrong person to ask questions believe me . Actually though just one more for the night. In one of above posts you mentioned that you don't ever see loads sit for a higher price, yet you just stated that you lose money on loads which means that you are moving it for more then you care to. That is you had to raise the rate to move it. This seems somewhat contradictory. Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate taking the time to answer questions.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Thanks and welcome to the board.

More questions:
Based on what you see from shippers and rates:
1) What's the highest paying lane been lately (in all of North America)?
2) If you were a one truck trucking company and could only buy one type of trailer, what trailer would it be and why?
I am not really sure
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 AM
Rookie

[quote="merrick4"][quote="CHRBROKER32"]Tru
Old 12-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I get loads out of NJ to Chicago all the time that are 750 mile runs and I can only pay $675 on these loads because my customer is only paying me $700
This can provoke alotta thoughts. Mainly why in the world would anybody be involved with something this asinine. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Trust me, we lose money on loads on a daily basis.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I will do my best to answer them.
You are telling the wrong person to ask questions believe me . Actually though just one more for the night. In one of above posts you mentioned that you don't ever see loads sit for a higher price, yet you just stated that you lose money on loads which means that you are moving it for more then you care to. That is you had to raise the rate to move it. This seems somewhat contradictory. Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate taking the time to answer questions.
No problem man, I guess I should have said for the amount of loads we move company wide (25-30,000/day) we have very very low % that will sit where we have to pay really high rates. Most of the time when we have loads sit and have to lose money its because it is a crap lane that no one wants so we have to bribe someone to take it or when we have a hot load for a customer and have a driver fall off the load at the last minute and then again we have to pretty much bribe someone to go get it for us. Things happen like trucks breaking down, not getting empty at previous stop, etc. and when they let us know at the last minute we will have to pay more to recover the load. Its rare for a load to sit on our board all day and not get covered just because we cant find a truck. Most of the time if we dont cover it we can push it to the next day or send out a mass email and someone in some branch will know where a truck is. I dont know I am getting tired and delerious so I need to get to bed. and I dont mind the questions at all. Later man.
You may have to "bribe" someone to go after a load, but you charge the guy with the truck $250 or more, so does CHR really lose money in that situation? I think not!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
Quote:
I get loads out of NJ to Chicago all the time that are 750 mile runs and I can only pay $675 on these loads because my customer is only paying me $700
This can provoke alotta thoughts. Mainly why in the world would anybody be involved with something this asinine. Maybe I'm missing something.
Some say its the market. I say its too many people running trucking companies that dont drive trucks. Let the .80- 1.00 per mile freight sit on the east coast until it ROTS or RUSTS. Most trucks going EAST with customer freight are getting at least $2 pm +FSC, so $2.40 per mile. If they came all the way back empty now they are at $1.20 all miles and had great fuel mileage coming back. Or deadhead to Ohio then load for home/headhaul customer, still better than $1.20 + FSC on all miles. It doesnt take a mathematical genius or a logistical genius to figure it out. SAME goes for going into Florida.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
my customer is only paying me $700
Forced to deal w/ customers like that?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
The problem I see Gman with setting a minimum rate (that is if I may say so with my limited experience) is there is no one size fits all. It's like saying to sit until you get a better rate. Some say you can sit all you want and others say they will pay and I found both to be true even in the same area. One area is going to pay more than the other.

So this brings us back to the debate of preserving the rate to going in for a big enough rate to get out by deadheading.

For instance say your minimum is $1.50 I just came out of Florida for peanuts but averaging with going in I got $1.54. Now if I deadheaded out I would have needed much more going in which I am all for but I wonder how feasible that is.

Of course you always say you run your business your way and I agree with you and would rather run like you run and when I calculated total miles coming out I got upset, but I'm trying to run as profitable as possible while I learn out here.

By the way, when you take me on as one of your dispatch service clients I am going to be all for setting the minimum, hopefully $2.00 a mile all miles.

In all seriousness though (though driving up here I was wishing I had someone sitting there looking for a load for me) even though my minimum is lower then others, I do have a minimum and won't be hauling no $.80 freight out of Miami like they say is down there. You can better believe I'll park the truck before I do that.

I don't necessarily think that one size fits all. It is up to each individual to decide a minimum rate for which they will haul. Some may not want to haul for less than $2/mile. Others may be content with $1.30. It is an individual decision. If you establish a minimum haul rate you should make more money. You don't need to haul freight for $1/mile.