User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Signing on at this time of year could be tough.From now untill around March things really get slow.Being from the North you will make out better then a lot of guys we have that are scared of snow and cold.
Mercer has treated me ok but... they are most definetly not what they used to be.They used to be concerned about making the truck money and now they are worried about making them money and moving a lot of cheap freight and really pinching pennies.Like the rest of the industry Mercers highering standards have been lowered to a level that sickens me.Compared to what else there is out there they are a good outfit but,they are not for everyone.
Let me warn you on a couple things first, don't get into that lease deal they have on trailers get your own,{I would make it a 102 wide,96's are a thing of the past}L/P deals of any kind is never a good deal for an O/O in my opinion.Second,for the most part military freight is among the cheapest stuff you can haul and I stay away from it whenever possible.Every once in a blue moon a good rate comes up on a military load but,it almost never happens.Third,for the most part if the load is heavy and requires a tarp the rate is going to be low,it doesn't make a lot of sense but,the lighter the freight the higher the rate????
They are a non forced dispatch and you can be real indedpendent and reject any load you don't want to do and they wont care a bit like some other companies might.This can also be a bad thing because some people can be independent all the way to the poor house.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 PM

[quote="mudawg"]Signing on at this time of year could be tough.From now untill around March things really get slow.Being from the North you will make out better then a lot of guys we have that are scared of snow and cold.
Mercer has treated me ok but... they are most definetly not what they used to be.They used to be concerned about making the truck money and now they are worried about making them money and moving a lot of cheap freight and really pinching pennies.Like the rest of the industry Mercers highering standards have been lowered to a level that sickens me.Compared to what else there is out there they are a good outfit but,they are not for everyone.
Let me warn you on a couple things first, don't get into that lease deal they have on trailers get your own,{I would make it a 102 wide,96's are a thing of the past}L/P deals of any kind is never a good deal for an O/O in my opinion.Second,for the most part military freight is among the cheapest stuff you can haul and I stay away from it whenever possible.Every once in a blue moon a good rate comes up on a military load but,it almost never happens.Third,for the most part if the load is heavy and requires a tarp the rate is going to be low,it doesn't make a lot of sense but,the lighter the freight the higher the rate????
They are a non forced dispatch and you can be real indedpendent and reject any load you don't want to do and they wont care a bit like some other companies might.This can also be a bad thing because some people can be independent all the way to the poor house.[/quote

Thanks Mudawg.
So I'll wait untill Feb/Mar before I sign on.I hope to get a good deal on a Flatbed this winter.I just want to keep moving "loaded" once I put the truck on the road and I have no problem running loads as long as they pay right.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerpop
I doubt that you will find a good aluminum trailer within that price range. Used trailers have gotten a bit more expensive the last couple of years with the higher cost of aluminum and steel. A friend of mine recently bought a 45' x 96" aluminum trailer for around $12,000. I would expect to pay as much as $10-12,000 for a good used steel trailer. With patience, you might find something on the lower end of your figures. There are advantages to both types of trailers, but I prefer steel. You can haul more weight on an aluminum trailer, but I think steel holds up better.
I'm thinking the same thing. Found this one in the truck paper: 2000 TRANSCRAFT EAGLE II COMBO 48' x 96" , Air Ride Suspension,
Combination Composition, 24.5 Tires, All Steel Wheels,
Fixed Spread Tandem Axle, Aluminum Floor $10.500.
When I buy I'll offer lower (I can always come up)I like it because,My truck has 24.5s (one spare fits all) The steel holds up better like you said and the ease of a aluminum deck.I'll be running east of the rockies,so will the fixed spread will work? What are your thoughts ?[/quote]

The fixed spread works just fine. I suggest you have a dump valve installed if one isn't already on the trailer. It will save you a lot of money in replacing tires. A spread axle will go through a lot of tires unless yo have a dump valve. The aluminum deck tends to get rather slippery in bad weather.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Rookie

JokerPop, Yes sir I have a laptop but I don't use it to find loads. My load coordinator is very good at keeping me busy for great rates and I run hard. I like to work, not sit (I know-not normal huh?). Anyway, I use my laptop to keep an eye on the weather/road conditions and for directions to my destinations. I have an air card and can surf the net whenever plus I like to write short stories for my family and that keeps me entertained. The laptop computer is definitely a great investment for the OTR trucker. I'm home now during my kids break and we leave for Disneyland tomorrow. Have fun and let me know if you have further questions about Mercer.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 PM

I'll be running east of the rockies,so will the fixed spread will work? What are your thoughts ?[/quote]

The fixed spread works just fine. I suggest you have a dump valve installed if one isn't already on the trailer. It will save you a lot of money in replacing tires. A spread axle will go through a lot of tires unless yo have a dump valve. The aluminum deck tends to get rather slippery in bad weather.[/quote]

Thanks Gman.
Dump Valve ,very good point. I hate wasting $$$$ on tires. I owe you.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Manchu Express
JokerPop, Yes sir I have a laptop but I don't use it to find loads. My load coordinator is very good at keeping me busy for great rates and I run hard. I like to work, not sit (I know-not normal huh?). Anyway, I use my laptop to keep an eye on the weather/road conditions and for directions to my destinations. I have an air card and can surf the net whenever plus I like to write short stories for my family and that keeps me entertained. The laptop computer is definitely a great investment for the OTR trucker. I'm home now during my kids break and we leave for Disneyland tomorrow. Have fun and let me know if you have further questions about Mercer.
Cool enjoy Disneyland and your family. You said something about in's and out's ,I'd like to know about them. Right now I'm doing Pneumatics,Bulk sand. South Jersey to Ct every day. About 2500 miles a week . I now know where most of the pot holes are on the GW and Cross Bronx Expy... LOL . I don't see any Mercer trucks up here and that's a good thing, looking forward to getting out of the North-East.
Be Safe and enjoy your Family time
Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Rookie

JokerPop, "ins" and "outs" are learning the system and finding out areas you like to run and make money at. I've spent most of the summer and fall running 11 western states making good money. Mercer asked me at orientation if I'd run western states while it's hot because they usually have more freight than trucks so I said "of course!". I figure I'll run midwest and northern states this winter because most old timers will be running I-10 and staying warm. I'm only 44 and don't mind getting cold and running hard. We'll see how that goes.
This week I left Monday afternoon (from Tucson) to pick up a load of stone in Flagstaff Tuesday going to Steamboat Springs,CO ($1.86 mile to the truck). Delivered yesterday morning, deadheaded to Denver, loaded concrete forms for jobsite in Tucson delivering in morning ($1.49 mile to the truck). Not a bad rate for getting out of Denver ( another in and out hint) as Salt Lake City and Denver are hard areas to get good paying flatbed freight out of. Loads heading west pay alot better than eastbound loads. Another Mercer driver loaded with me at rock place in Flagstaff and he was getting $1.25 to truck per mile going to New Jersey. I've seen that alot this summer. That's why I stuck around western states while it was hot. Been told this will reverse itself during winter. Okay by me!
I'll pickup another load tomorrow and head wherever the money is. I'll keep you posted. You can PM me if you want with questions. Just ask and I'll help however I can. Have fun!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I was leased to Mercer and for the first 2 years it was real good but then it started to slide down-hill big time. Every-one has their up's n downs but I would'nt go back to them again . I was leased to Green tree Trans for 4 years and it kept on getting better n better. Their number is 800-233-3262 talk to Charlene in the Safety Dept. Tell her Dan Kupke sent you. I would'nt have quit but I wanted to come over here n help with this war effort . I'LL be working with them again in the future.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Rookie

What made it go downhill? Every company has ups and downs and finding one that fits you is what it's all about I reckon. Be interested to know your feelings ash_ca_la. Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Manchu Express
What made it go downhill? Every company has ups and downs and finding one that fits you is what it's all about I reckon. Be interested to know your feelings ash_ca_la. Thanks
Hello Fu Manchu Express

Back when I was with Mercer your "Load Coridinator" ( Dispatcher) either made you or would break you. The one I had the first 2 years was really good but he got his-self in trouble and fired and I ended up with a different 1. Now they tell you that you can switch Dispatchers but then that leads to one of them telling the other one that your hard to please n difficult to load. This new one was his first time being a dispatcher and it just did'nt work and by the time I realized this I had allready started to slide down-hill with them. It only got worse when I changed dispatchers so I just quit n moved on .