User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Mercer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klleetrucking
jokerpop,I've been with Mercer for 16yrs. mainly because I don't like changes and it's a good fit for me. We've had some longtimers quit over the past year and came back. THAT tells me something. I'm not going to expound the virtues of Mercer, you may sign on and hate it. I'll say what I say to everyone: If you don't care what you haul,where you go or how long you stay out, there's money to be made here. Just don't come here with deep financial problems and expect to solve them overnite. My learning curve took over 6mos. to figure out what worked for me. The first year I took just about every load they offered, just to learn the system. Fortunately I had a good coordinator to help steer me.
I will suggest, if you can, to hold off 'til at least Feb. to actually sign on, things here (at least for me) are slow until about Mar. simply because 1/3 of the country is covered with snow. Plus my truck and I are allergic to the crap At least get your screening done and that will be behind you. I'm not sure about now, but when I signed on, if you have any skeletons in the closet they WILL find them.
I don’t care what I haul as long as I’m making money, I don’t and won’t run my truck for fuel, It’s got to pay on the + side.
The only thing about snow and ice I don’t like are the other divers on the road. Mostly 4 and 6 wheels. LOL
So running my own truck I feel like you allergic to crap, don’t need to get hit.
No skeletons in the closet, Hey I live in South Jersey we got sump ..LOL
I now the pm don’t work, but I think you can e-mail me.
Be Safe
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I was chatting with a United Van Lines o/o one day at Little America. he says he owns a truck or two and says his wife dispatches those through Mercer and some rates are phenominal every now and then, like 3-4$ a mile. Although, he said they are few and far between. He was ready to throw in the towel with HHG and start doing that.

So, what I'm trying to say is, from what I "hear", its a good thing. I've heard good things about Landstar too.

Teal95KW knows some more info on a few companies, as he skateboards now.

I have a buddy at LoneStar doing flats from (retired fromenclosed car haulers) and he's doing around $1.60 now for all miles.

Since you did the company thing for Melton before, I'm sure going back to them for $1.20/mi aint ginna happen! :lol: 8)
Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM

I was chatting with a United Van Lines o/o one day at Little America. he says he owns a truck or two and says his wife dispatches those through Mercer and some rates are phenominal every now and then, like 3-4$ a mile. Although, he said they are few and far between. He was ready to throw in the towel with HHG and start doing that.

Key word “Wife dispatches” That would be sweet if we all got 3-4 a mile so now and then.If I was making that kind of money My wife would say ok if I told her I was going to the chrome shop LOL
A lot of O/O are looking at other companies and a few have told me they need to get a fuel advents to run.Fuel and tolls are hurting a lot of them.

So, what I'm trying to say is, from what I "hear", its a good thing. I've heard good things about Landstar too.

Teal95KW knows some more info on a few companies, as he skateboards now.

I have a buddy at LoneStar doing flats from (retired fromenclosed car haulers) and he's doing around $1.60 now for all miles.

I know ,I hear a lot good things about many companies and I think rates are going to start coming up this spring.I look at it this way if you have a good o/o you don’t want to loose him/her So they have to pay more now or later pay more to get them back.

Since you did the company thing for Melton before, I'm sure going back to them for $1.20/mi aint ginna happen! :lol: 8)[/quote]

I was looking at Melton about a year ago,but did not go to work for them.I talked to many of thier drives.A lot of ups and downs.At this time my trucks parked. She pay for and I'm driving a company truck.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Default Mercer Trans.

Hey jokerpop, made a decision yet?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Mercer Trans.

Quote:
I'd stay away from both of them LandStar and Mercer !!!! I was with both of them before Mercer for 6 years and LandStar for 1..
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Rookie

JokerPop, as mentioned before, I am VERY happy with Mercer. It's a good fit for me and I love running my own business. I run as hard as I want and I don't sit. We all know this industry is slow during Jan, Feb and starts to pick up in March. You gotta plan for it is all. I bought a brand new trailer because after talking to old timer flatbedders and seeing how these shippers & trucking companies treat company flatbed trailers, there was no way I was buying abused/used. A new combo is about $5,000 more than a used one (depending on what part of the country you look at) so I feel I did a smart thing there. Utility also threw in 20 kinedyne straps, 8 more winches (20 total) and a winch bar with my trailer purchase. I agree that leasing a trailer is not the way to go.

Alot of decisions to be made huh? Do your homework and go with your gut feeling. Life is good so don't forget that. Have fun and let me know if I can help.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM

I'd stay away from both of them LandStar and Mercer !!!! I was with both of them before Mercer for 6 years and LandStar for 1..

Sooooo who are you with now?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Default Re: Mercer Trans.

Quote:
I'm still running a company truck and the moneys good. I want to do flatbed work but I have been getting some good offhers doing Van drop and hook. It works out to $2.00 amile and they pay tolls running NJ,NY and Pa. But I have to see that they put on paper before I do anything.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm still running a company truck and the moneys good. I want to do flatbed work but I have been getting some good offhers doing Van drop and hook. It works out to $2.00 amile and they pay tolls running NJ,NY and Pa. But I have to see that they put on paper before I do anything.

Hey, if your happy doing what you're doing and making money, there's no reason to change. I only endorse changing companies if the situation has become intolerable. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Sooooo who are you with now?
Well I know this is gonna cause a laugh but I'm working in Baghdad Iraq as a company truck driver for KBR. I've been here 4 years now and I'm currently dedicated to the Dept of State driveing a up-armoured (bullet-proof) suburban picking up Goverment Dignatieries with Private Security contractors (like BlackWater) and takeing them from the airport to the palaces and back for their meetings n such.

""BUT"" before that when I was still at home I was leased to GreenTree Trans out of Pittsburg Penn 18002333262 % Charlene in safety . They are a real good outfit n allways treated me right and I will be doing work for them again after I come home later this year. But as a broker truck !!! I don't want to be leased to any 1 carrier anymore.. I'm not saying that Mercer or these other carriers are no good but they each have their routines and if you don't fit in their click then you won't last very long and that can be expensive and time consumeing !!!

Mercer will be good for about 1 to 2 years . Landstar will be real shakey for the first 90 days or so and they drop people like flies for no reason ??? Even the people that have been there for a few years. They also were 1 of the most expensive carriers (as far as monthly deductions) that I was ever leased to. Thats why OOIDA has them in court for their routine on monthly charges !!!! GreenTree only got better for me. I hated to leave but I wanted to come over here and help with this. I also wanted a break from running my truck in the States.

I have had a lot of conversations with them and they are more than willing to use me either as a leased truck or a broker truck .. But I'm sure their are those that have had bad experiences with GreenTree as well. It's a matter of finding some-where that you are happy n comfortable and then hope-fully the people that you are leased to are straight with you.. Years ago I was with PreFab Transit out of Farmer City ILL and that was sooooo good until the original founder died and the kids took it over ????