User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Someone over at getloaded.com is throwing in the towel and selling a 48x102 Transcraft Eagle combo flat for $16,000. 1999 IIRC. If that's in your range, I'll get a number.

They are in NJ.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Rookie

I'm leased on with Mercer. Did alot of homework on the company before going with them and talked to every Mercer driver I could. All of the Mercer guys were very happy and answered all of my questions plus gave pointers as well as do's and don'ts. Most of them have been with Mercer 10plus years and a few have over 20 years with Mercer.
I leased on in April after doing the company driver thing with Melton. I am very happy and my average cpm is $1.64 (that's to the truck not gross like some companies like to quote). I was really leaning toward Landstar (flatbed) but ran into too many disgruntled LS owner ops. We had 3 in our orientation and they said more were on their way over. As far as military freight goes, many companies haul that freight. Most of it doesn't pay very well. I am retired military and there are quite a few veterans at Mercer. By the way, the load board on the website is freight Mercer drivers have passed on and is available to everyone.
Not trying to sell you. Just letting you know I'm very happy and this is where I plan on staying. Talk to drivers one on one and go with your gut feeling. I'm happy to answer any and all of your questions.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you plan on hauling much military freight, some require steel and wood floors. If you have an aluminum deck they won't load you. There are a few other companies who won't load aluminum decks. Most of the time it doesn't make any difference. If you plan on hauling a lot of steel, then aluminum might be the way to go since you are usually paid on the hundred weight. The more you can haul, the most money you will make. When you look at the type of trailer you are going to buy, you need to decide what you plan on hauling. I have found the wood and steel to be very versatile. You will pay more for aluminum.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Rookie

I have a all steel trailer with a wood floor, paid 12.5(new) for it, good solid trailor only problem I have with it is the weight. I can only haul 48000, but for the price and durabilty it was a good deal.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Rookie

When you sign on lease one of their trailers. When you figure out how they run and what works best for you then buy a trailer. At that point it won't be speculation you'll know.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
wel as far as trailers... if going with mercer.. i would try to go with aluminum. you could then haul more weight. 96 or 102 really dont matter. though i like the 102. i dont have one, but they are easier to walk around & tie stuff down. ive never had a load that i couldnt take because of not haveing a 102''. the only problem with alum is reitinour is about the best. but they are expensive. within the 6-10 grand range, your going to be lucky to find a decent steel trailer. i bout a 94 transcraft in 99' i'm still pulling it. i paid $9,500 for it. i had to do very little to it. & very little welding. if i went with a alum though i would not go with anything but a retinour. good luck.
Thanks good info. I'm looking at the 48X96 and I'm thinking the best time to buy is Dec/ Feb .Last year alot of flats where up for sell and due to the houseing slow down this year it my be the right time to buy.Hope to get the most bang for my buck LOL.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Default Re: Talk to a number of their drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammonman
If you want to look at any one else I would recomend my company.
Sammons Trucking.
Call 800-548-9276.
Ask for Robin and she'll explain what we have.
It will give you good grounds to compare.
Thanks I'll have a look at them.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Default Re: Talk to a number of their drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammonman
If you want to look at any one else I would recomend my company.
Sammons Trucking.
Call 800-548-9276.
Ask for Robin and she'll explain what we have.
It will give you good grounds to compare.
Mercer...Sammons..Jones Motor...Landstar...all fairly similar operations ..all decent.
Thanks, I just run into and have talked to more Mercer O/Os. But I'll have a look.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 PM

I doubt that you will find a good aluminum trailer within that price range. Used trailers have gotten a bit more expensive the last couple of years with the higher cost of aluminum and steel. A friend of mine recently bought a 45' x 96" aluminum trailer for around $12,000. I would expect to pay as much as $10-12,000 for a good used steel trailer. With patience, you might find something on the lower end of your figures. There are advantages to both types of trailers, but I prefer steel. You can haul more weight on an aluminum trailer, but I think steel holds up better.[/quote]
I'm thinking the same thing. Found this one in the truck paper: 2000 TRANSCRAFT EAGLE II COMBO 48' x 96" , Air Ride Suspension,
Combination Composition, 24.5 Tires, All Steel Wheels,
Fixed Spread Tandem Axle, Aluminum Floor $10.500.
When I buy I'll offer lower (I can always come up)I like it because,My truck has 24.5s (one spare fits all) The steel holds up better like you said and the ease of a aluminum deck.I'll be running east of the rockies,so will the fixed spread will work? What are your thoughts ?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:29 PM

[quote="Fu Manchu Express"]I'm leased on with Mercer. Did alot of homework on the company before going with them and talked to every Mercer driver I could. All of the Mercer guys were very happy and answered all of my questions plus gave pointers as well as do's and don'ts. Most of them have been with Mercer 10plus years and a few have over 20 years with Mercer.
I leased on in April after doing the company driver thing with Melton. I am very happy and my average cpm is $1.64 (that's to the truck not gross like some companies like to quote). I was really leaning toward Landstar (flatbed) but ran into too many disgruntled LS owner ops. We had 3 in our orientation and they said more were on their way over. As far as military freight goes, many companies haul that freight. Most of it doesn't pay very well. I am retired military and there are quite a few veterans at Mercer. By the way, the load board on the website is freight Mercer drivers have passed on and is available to everyone.
Not trying to sell you. Just letting you know I'm very happy and this is where I plan on staying. Talk to drivers one on one and go with your gut feeling. I'm happy to answer any and all of your questions.[/quote

I know what you mean, I've been doing alot of homework too. Mercer just keeps coming back to the top of the list. I did talk to one Mercer diver what was not to happy,but he did not have a lap top and said he was getting one.
So commomonsence is telling me to run with them one should have a laptop and be hooked up with the e-net. Are you?
I also have got to start asking about the do's and don'ts,damn did not think of that. Thanks