User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't have any bills yet I'm deemed a failure. I guess I should use my credit card, rack up a balance then pay it off next month and maybe, just maybe I'll be on the road to success like the rest of you.

Wadda ya think?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You're no failure Steve but you don't need me to tell you that. Anway just to clarify, those credit cards weren't bills I racked up, as I've mentioned before I play the credit game and those 2 cards were ending the 0% promotion next month. The money I owed from those cards is in the bank earning interest, so I just paid those 2 cards and now that money in the bank is mine and not the banks.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 AM

That wasn't intended to be a jab at you. I'm sure you knew that, just wanted to state that.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I don't have any bills yet I'm deemed a failure. I guess I should use my credit card, rack up a balance then pay it off next month and maybe, just maybe I'll be on the road to success like the rest of you.

Wadda ya think?
I have not stated that SteveBooth is a failure.... I simply question the way SteveBooth runs his business.....
Old 01-26-2008, 05:19 AM

Merrick, Im not sure this will ever pan out to anything, but had lunch today with a good old friend and his new in-laws. The in-laws are one of the larger growers/packers/cold storage companys in the Fresno area. Real nice people. Honest, hard working and ethical. In business for 70 years.

We did not discuss transportation today, but thought of you, and the future. They ship to the east constantly, I do know that. Down the road, Ill find out more. Maybe something can work for both of you. No promises of course. But no sweat off my nose, and if it helps someone, thats all good.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 PM

Hey Steve, I'll let ya pay off my credit cards and get 10 people to testify that ur a success! Deal or no deal??
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Andy
Merrick, Im not sure this will ever pan out to anything, but had lunch today with a good old friend and his new in-laws. The in-laws are one of the larger growers/packers/cold storage companys in the Fresno area. Real nice people. Honest, hard working and ethical. In business for 70 years.

We did not discuss transportation today, but thought of you, and the future. They ship to the east constantly, I do know that. Down the road, Ill find out more. Maybe something can work for both of you. No promises of course. But no sweat off my nose, and if it helps someone, thats all good.
Hey I really appreciate that Orange Andy! Like you said, maybe it can work out and no promises but more than anything I appreciate the thought.

I tell you, I'm glad I found this place cause the information and help that has been given to me has been really priceless.

I'll say another thing too, that's why I am open about my affairs cause in a way that's the only thing I can offer in return here. I can't offer too much about trucking as I'm so new, but for instance the credit stuff, I don't write that to say "look what I have". After all this forum is a Owner Operator forum which is to say a business forum and this credit has been an unbelievable business asset.

I wonder what other country in the world you can get over $100,000 for 0% and no collateral?

Well thanks again Orange Andy, like I said I truly appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

You know they say the worst thing to do when you are tired is to sit down.
Been doing a lot of sitting here at home just kind of reading.

So as I mentioned I met with that shipper but that didn't seem to go so well. From the impression that I got from the original contact was that they were tired of dealing with brokers. But that was the owner. I didn't meet the owner, I met the guy who does the trucks and he said he has used the same broker for a long time and he never has trouble getting trucks.

They have trouble getting drivers for their own trucks apparently even though their are many applicants showing up. He says he has two loads sitting now waiting for the drivers to get back.

I got to talking with my neighbor. She works for an import/export company from Brazil. They used to do a lot of stuff bringing food etc here but now they are trying to send stuff from here to there.

She wants me to let her know of products that are being exported and then she can call and see if they need that stuff in Brazil. So off the top of my head I went to her computer and pulled up a website of someplace I had picked up before that makes stadium seating and they export to all over the world. She seemed to like that. Then I pulled up another who manufactures cleaning supplies for domestic use and export. (that load I actually took that stuff right to a place where they were putting it in shipping containers).

So I will keep feeding her the info and then hopefullly if she gets the deal they are going to need trucks to carry the stuff. Really it I always look into the places I am picking up or delivering too anyway, so it won't be nothing to shoot her an email. On top of that of course I was asking quesitons on how she operates and a bunch of other stuff, so if I get nothing else but that information which hopefully I can put to use, it will be worth it. I gave her a stack of my cards too.

I called another broker today that works out of a manufacturer (I know someone who works for that manufacturer) but the guy was a real jerk. I mean he pretty much told me to beat it. I didn't like that but what the hell, in sales I am going to be told "no" 99 out of 100 times anyway. I don't like it but....

I have the audit tomorrow and went to pick up my fuel receipts from that place that does my IFTA. I guess my tax for last quarter was $40 something. The only thing that I don't like is I'm averaging about 6.49 per gallon. I go slow, have an APU, so I would think it would have been better. The only thing I am thinking is that I am starting from a stop position too quickly. I try not to go so slow out of the gate cause I like to keep the flow of traffic moving but I think that is what's killing me.

I really can't recommend that place that does my IFTA tax enough. Such nice people, everything is nice and organized and I feel their fees are more than reasonable.

I'm watching the load boards to get back out, no_worries when does this Valentines day rush start? I want to get out of here next week.

I think this time home has left me more confused as to where I want to go with this. You know with my friend telling me that I need to find good freight in, while I've been thinking that I need good freight out, then I found out about the Miami Free Trade Zone. From what I understand they have transportation companies set up in that place.

On the other hand I keep thinking about that person on this board who did the trucking thing for about 10 years and had bought 8 houses since then. I mean the money isn't so great from this trucking but there is temendous cash flow, and this is only building up my credit liines etc.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

You should start seeing some flow next week, although to be honest I thought we'd be seeing more loads out of FL already with produce. I think we've got a lot more trucks chasing freight this year and therefore fewer loads even hitting the boards. A bunch of the trucking companies released earning this week and they all pretty much reiterated the same thing. All I know is things are BRUTAL out here on the left coast :shock: At least the sun's shining :lol:
Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Rookie

Merrik4 I have a couple of questions for you but, can't PM. Could you shoot me an email at [email protected] when you have some free time.

Tags
read