LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Even the huge carriers who call me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You miss the coma...But that's not the reason, why I'm laughing.. :lol:
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joymax_Trans2
Steve,

You would not have to sit for three days if you take the time to go into an area with less trucks and more freight. Just a suggestion. I have never sat and I get the rates asked for. Yes, it might take an extra 1/2 or 1 to research load density but it's worth it. I might turn down 6 loads in a row but the 7th load will be a winner. Eventhough, I post the truck, I still research for loads and will make a call if I see something.

Just my 2 cents......
Yes, I agree with that. I think there are some people who argue that you can sit in a bad area and your rate will come along, that's just not true. I think it takes experience to know where the hot spots are and not. A broker will give you about 3.2 seconds to say yes and move on to the next available truck. I've tried calling back within 10 minutes and the load is gone. It's very fast paced sometimes.

I tried sitting once in Wyoming near Rock Springs instead of taking the $1.10 and the load never came up. I sat from Thursday afternoon till Monday and was just getting ready to head out when I got a panic call from a customer to haul an aluminum pipe for $2.00 a mile. It weighed less than 200 pounds but was 25' long. They called UPS but didn't realize it was longer than they could take.

I realize most of you have shippers and you don't differentiate between us carriers who work off the load boards and yourself. Myself, Merrick, Pepe, and soon, Doghouse represent the real world of load board carriers. I think I saw Pepe working the drive up window at Taco Bell by the way.

It would be nice to hear the real Private GI Joe stories from the grunts like myself who don't have any shippers or lanes.

I love what I'm going, roaming around the country and don't think I could do the same lane over and over again even though it meant a constant good rate. I've seen some pretty awesome stuff and people in the short time I've been doing this and wouldn't give it up to haul steel to California then onions back to the East Coast non stop.

I'm not complaining here but be sensitive to the fact that most of you have shippers and are not representative of the ones who are posting and asking questions.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Board Member

dont forget us steve, we roam around too. Most of our loads come from the truck being posted on the load boards.

We have been pretty lucky lately and have gotten some good paying freight out of some really bad areas. Sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time!! 8)

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
dont forget us steve, we roam around too. Most of our loads come from the truck being posted on the load boards.

We have been pretty lucky lately and have gotten some good paying freight out of some really bad areas. Sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time!! 8)

tootie
Now now Tootie. We know that your driving someone else's truck for someone else on this forum who's getting the loads. When ya going to give up that info....HUH HUH HUH
Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I realize most of you have shippers and you don't differentiate between us carriers who work off the load boards and yourself. Myself, Merrick, Pepe, and soon, Doghouse represent the real world of load board carriers.
Gee I don't know. I think you guys are the exception.

Quote:
It would be nice to hear the real Private GI Joe stories from the grunts like myself who don't have any shippers or lanes.
Maybe what I will do is give my rates for load board rates only. I've posted a few stories in the past, but they are relatively boring by your standards. :wink: Since I don't drive much, I don't have 13 hours a day to kill. Even now I don't have time for this....I have a DOT audit in 4 days LOL.

Quote:
I'm not complaining here but be sensitive to the fact that most of you have shippers and are not representative of the ones who are posting and asking questions.
I hear ya. I understand you don't have any lanes and I understand you like it that way. But that is a choice you make and it comes with a price as you understand. I beleive that those who ask questions want to make money...but maybe I'm wrong.

99% of my backhauls come from load boards....or at least they did at one time or another. One broker currently represents approx 50% of our backhauls. This broker acts as the exclusive Logistics Manager for a handy shipper in our lane. These loads are not posted any longer because we take everything we can so they won't post it on the boards....I believe we handle ~90% of their freight that moves into my home state. That connection originally came from a load board too. The other 50% still come from boards. It's always a gamble trying a new broker, but the bright side is that he may be my next regular "shipper."

As you know, we pay drivers and in that case, I don't think there is any money to be made by roaming around the country doing long haul....the exception may be LTL.

All the biggest carriers are LTL for a reason....Yellow, Fed-ex, Purolator, DHL....

Now, back to preparing for my audit.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank

This broker acts as the exclusive Logistics Manager for a handy shipper in our lane. These loads are not posted any longer because we take everything we can so they won't post it on the boards....I believe we handle ~90% of their freight that moves into my home state. That connection originally came from a load board too.
And Rank! Just to make something clear(not for me, but "majority" )
Why does he give you all those loads, w/o even posting it on the load boards?
Is that, cause you proved to be reliable? Or he couldn't possibly move it cheaper? :lol: :wink:
Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank

This broker acts as the exclusive Logistics Manager for a handy shipper in our lane. These loads are not posted any longer because we take everything we can so they won't post it on the boards....I believe we handle ~90% of their freight that moves into my home state. That connection originally came from a load board too.
And Rank! Just to make something clear(not for me, but "majority" )
Why does he give you all those loads, w/o even posting it on the load boards?
Is that, cause you proved to be reliable? Or he couldn't possibly move it cheaper? :lol: :wink:
LOLOLOLOL.

He got tired of carriers showing up late, not having the proper equipment, not scheduling appointments with the consignee, damaging the freight, double brokering....so, no he couldn't possibly move 3-4 loads per week cheaper with anyone that meets his criteria.....if that's what you mean
:lol:
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks Rank, good post.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Hey Rank, I understand you drive once in a while and I was wondering.

Do they other guys raze you as you pull out of the lot?

Do they write things on the back of your dirty van like "RCMP SUCK".

Do they tape pictures of clear lanes on your side mirrors?

Do they replace your Molson beer with Shlitz?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Do they tape pictures of clear lanes on your side mirrors?
LOL that's a good one.

Quote:
Do they replace your Molson beer with Shlitz?
Yuck. That's not even funny.

Actually they treat me OK because they don't have to do the local leg of the trip. Or maybe it's because they dont want to tarp in the rain at the Port of Newark.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tags
read