User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Hey there Chief! Quick question if you don't mind Sir! How long are you staying out on the road before going home for home time?? Just curious.
the last time was about 7 weeks, I will go home sooner than that this time
Old 09-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Wow! Ouch! I don't know if it is different with the dry vans but when my husband got the ticket in California for being 300 lbs over May Trucking was going to pay for it but he was no longer employed with them with the ticket came so we paid it. I do know that allot of his loads were sealed and it was a drop and hook type thing so that may be the reason why they were going to pick up the cost.

I am glad you are still liking it! There will be good days and bad days just like anything else!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Yes there are always good and bad days no matter what we do.....what makes the difference is how we each handle them and as much as I was discouraged with a string of bad luck, I am pressing on forward
Old 09-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB JR.
I had an overweight issue too a year ago. Being 2k over cost me close to 300 bucks here in WA. They were even kind enough to list it on my driver's abstract. But from what I'm told it's not counted as a moving violation either. Get too many of them on an abstract and it could show your next employer you're irresponsible.
Everyone tells me I was lucky I got off so cheap. In any case it was a stupid mistake on my part nad a valuable lesson
Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
watch those yo-yo's in easthampton.....i dont think any of them know how to get to work....i went thru 3 sets of directions just to end up lost within sight of thier yard...and it took them 20 minettes to find me.....boy i sure hope you have better luck thier than i did
thanks for the heads up, I too hope I have better luck
Old 09-23-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
DD, I went to the clinic today at Marine Corps Base Quantico on recruiting business. I arrived just before the CPO pinning ceremony started. I hadn't been to one since I retired 3.5 years ago so I stayed and stood when the creed was read. I was the only one in the crowd in civvies that stood. Kinda cool.
I miss the "training seasons" :wink:
Yep! Good times.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
DD, I went to the clinic today at Marine Corps Base Quantico on recruiting business. I arrived just before the CPO pinning ceremony started. I hadn't been to one since I retired 3.5 years ago so I stayed and stood when the creed was read. I was the only one in the crowd in civvies that stood. Kinda cool.
I miss the "training seasons" :wink:
Yep! Good times.
Training season just isn't the same, mostly for good reasons.
There were just too many idiots who had their lunch money taken away their whole lives and the first year they were allowed to "train" the selectees they tried to get even for every time someone picked on them.
It is unfortunate, because properly conducted the training and initiation (not allowed to call it that any more) was a lot of fun for the guys and girls on both sides of the mud pit.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B

Training season just isn't the same, mostly for good reasons.
There were just too many idiots who had their lunch money taken away their whole lives and the first year they were allowed to "train" the selectees they tried to get even for every time someone picked on them.
It is unfortunate, because properly conducted the training and initiation (not allowed to call it that any more) was a lot of fun for the guys and girls on both sides of the mud pit.
I agree. The things I went through during my initiation went way over the top but I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was made worse by the fact that I was a Corpsman on a frigate and the only other selectee was the leading Quartermaster. We were underway a lot and he got out of a ton of training sessions by hiding on the bridge. Of course, I didn't stand underway watches so I was always available. He even went so far as to quit but was forced back by the Chiefs. He somehow made it through initiation.

The next year when the list came out, he jumped on the selectees with both feet. At midnight on 16 September, he came in drunk and tried to get away with some abusive stuff until the Master Chief made him hit the rack. He slept through initiation and the pinning ceremony. Very embarrassing.

The pinning ceremony I attended Friday at Quantico was very nice. The President's helicopters were flying in the background as they were landing at HMX-1. Very motivating stuff.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Board Regular

I finished school on Friday with a mountain drive to Saint Maries, ID. It was great country. The hills and slow curves(some were 20mph) were quite a challenge. The road was as if it was designed for students.

We stopped in St Maries for breakfast pizza and chocolate milk. Yeah, great diet! :roll: But, it was the last day at Sage and I may never is that little town again.

Saturday I attended the dedication ceremony that official changed the Coeur d'Alene Airport to Pappy Boyington Airfield. The Marine Corps League spent several years lobbying the county for the change. The ceremony was attended by 400-500 people, 2 Harriers from MCAS Yuma, the family of Major Boyington, and a WWII veteran of his squadron on Guadacanal. It was most impressive.

I start orientation at Davis on October 1st. Tomorrow I am going to British Columbia, Alberta, and Montana for a little vacation before getting back to work. I am hoping the weather will hold and I can camp out in Glacier National Park for a few nights. The Going-to-the-Sun highway is closed already for the season, I will have to circle the park.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

09/23/07
As usual, my alarm clock went off at 4am, but this time instead of getting up right away, I kept hitting the snooze button (what an awesome feature). At about 5am I finally got up and I did not feel like doing anything much less driving. But I knew today was going to be a little bit of a long one as my pre-planned stop for the night was over 650 miles away.

I slowly and reluctantly got myself together and on the road. The order for the day was wind. There was a strong steady wind blowing north from the south. I have a high cube load and it took a lot to keep it in my lane. Everyone was struggling, even the four-wheelers. I know can imagine what a van driver must go through on a regular basis.
I had to stop in Mitchell, SD for fuel and decided I would shut down for about an hour or so in hopes that the wind would die down. While I was inside getting my fuel ticket, I happened to catch the weather report for the area on the TV and it mentioned a severe wind warning for the area up until 7pm. Well shutting down for an hour is not going to make a difference so off I went. The wind lasted from Rapid City, SD all the way to just east of Albert Lea, MN. I did not realize how exhausting it was fighting the wind until I shut down here in Sparta, WI.

I have about 500 miles to go to my first drop and although I plan to be on the road early, I doubt I will make it there before they stop receiving.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this. The other day, Saturday I believe it was, every single scale house with the exception of the one in Crow’s Agency, MT. Today, I did not come across one that was opened, all of them were closed and I did not see or hear of one single LEO out. It was almost like a ‘free” day for all motorists. It’s probably just a coincidence, but it’s the first time I experienced something like that.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 PM

i hope this finds you in good health and better spirits....sounds like youve had it kinda ruff lately

but dont feel to bad...i now have a safety point against me at davis...i got a speeding ticket in ohio sunday...13 mph over...will cost me $155

plus im throwin money at my truck left and right trying to get it right again...just bought anouther new set of steers and will get my second alaingment in a week tomorrow am...hopefully it works

if you ever need a pick me up....just call me and ask how life is goin...lol