User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Devildice

Would ya PM me? Got some Davis stuff to discuss. Don't have enough posts...you know the drill

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

9/18-19/07
I am almost afraid to say it, but the past 2 days have gone “almost” smooth. You see, I mentioned before how I slide the 5th wheel almost all the way forward to help distribute the weight. I say “almost” all the way forward because there was a hole in the air line that unlocks the 5th wheel pins and although I tried to temporarily fix it (T/S did not have what I needed to splice the line) it did not hold. Therefore I could not get it all the way forward.

So anyways, I get up early that Tuesday morning and started running. I knew that there was one more scale in Idaho and it was going to be about 5am or so when I go by it. I am checking on the CB for the status and everyone is telling me it’s closed. Well sure enough, just as I get to it they’re open for business and of course I have to roll across the scale. I am crossing my fingers that I burned enough fuel to lessen the weight on the drives enough for them to just let me go. I don’t need to tell you what happened as you already know my string of bad luck lately. I go inside and the DOT lady says “you’re way over on your drives” as she shows me the print out that states I am 540lbs over. I think to myself, 540lbs is WAY over? Then you should have seen me earlier. I explain to her that I was already cited and that I was trying to get to the TA truck stop at exit 54 (something like 20 miles away) to get my 5th wheel air line fixed in order to slide it forward. She of course gives me a written warning that I have to send into Davis and they in turn have to send it back to Idaho.

I get to the truck stop and get the part I need to splice the air line. I go ahead and slide the 5th wheel all the way forward and then weigh. I ended up being 80lbs over on my steers but only 33,900lbs on my drives. This made me feel a lot better knowing I was going into Oregon. I get all the way to Troutdale, OR before shutting down. It was an extremely long trip because I kept my fuel on the low side for the weight issue and had to stop somewhat frequently to take on 25gal at a time.

On Wednesday, I got up a little later than I normally do and ran on down to Albany. I planned my arrival at my first stop an hour early. I did this because I wanted to get the side kit and chains put away before they unloaded me so they weren’t in the way. All 3 of my drops were relatively close to one another; in fact my last 2 were directly across the highway from each other.

Once I was empty, I called in my status and requested that if there was not a load right there and then for me to pick up, if I could run up I-5 to the TA truck Stop in Aurora, OR and shut down for the day. I explained that after these past few days, I could use a day to myself, not to mention, my weekly maintenance was due. I was told that would be fine, but to call in once I was there as they were working on a load for me. So I get to the TS and call in and WOW……….I got a loooooooong load. It picks up in Tacoma, WA and has 3 drops; Ann Arbor, MI, East Hampton, MA, and finals in Mapleville, RI. I wasn’t given the total miles yet, but I figured, including my deadhead from Albany, it will be in the neighborhood of 3,300 miles!! That will make for a decent paycheck.

So tomorrow I will get up early and run up to Tacoma in order to be there by 7am when they open.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2
DevilDice... Sounds like that was a day from hell for ya....

... So, is Davis going to reimburse you for anything?

I'm in Corbin, Ky at a Loves. I like these places, as long as they are the new ones.

Im taking a page from your book and trying to run early morning and then jump into a truck stop before everyone else does. Today was my first day doing it and it wasn't to bad. I almost started out to early before my 8hrs of sleeper were up so I just went back to sleep for 45 minutes.

I spoke to Iowa this morning and told them that I had a concern with the fact that I was told to go to Saluda North Carolina but only see a Saluda South Carolina on the cities index of our map book. Turns out there are 2 Saludas and one is not listed... nice... :roll: ops: Glad I didn't go to South Carolina instead. So Im headed to North Carolina and only have approx. 280 miles to go. I was able to knock out 610 miles today which gave me a shorter distance to go tuesday. I'm gonna see if the cust wants me to deliver the 18th instead of the 19th...

Anybody know why everything here in the south ends with "Ville". I guess it's not only the south.... CA has Victorville..... The things your mind start to ponder as you drive....

A couple hundred miles ago I thought of this new slick tool for drivers....but Now what was I going to invent....?

Hey Greg....
Oh... did I mention I have a new truck.....with a big fancy engine.....Ooo La la....sweeeeeet! Feels like I went from a ridgid Harley to a Road Couch.....Ahhhhh.... Practically drives its self..... :wink:

I better stop now.... My luck It'll break down on me.... :lol:

Paul
339t
Glad things are looking up for you. I am crossing my fingers that my string of bad luck is over.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
DD,

Sorry to hear about your day! I am not sure but I think hubby scales out quite a bit. I know more than once he told me it was over and he had to go back to the shipper and had they take some off. It is a hassle but when he was with May for his short time he got a scale ticket for I believe 300 over and it was $98.00.

I am sure Davis will reimburse you for the money spent.

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Goin Fer It's Wife
thanks GFI.....I too hope my string of bad luck is over.....I did get a nice long run with multible drops that should make for a good paycheck.....that I hope is the start of better times.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmechanic
I just spent half the night reading this because I stayed home from work because of a severe cold. Thanks for helping me pass the time

Excellent thread
Thank you I am glad that you enjoyed reading it. I am suprised that you say you stayed up and read it all, I figured it would be a good sleeping aide :wink:
Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen
Devildice

Would ya PM me? Got some Davis stuff to discuss. Don't have enough posts...you know the drill

Thanks
Rick
Just did
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Board Regular

Devildice,

You didn't seem too upset over the ticket, does your co. re-imburse you for being overweight? I'm new to this, so still info. gathering. Does a ticket at the scales go on your CDL license? Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Board Regular

Wednesday morning I drove with a different instructor. He is an old trucker originally from Oklahoma, meaning he doesn't say much about himself and I wonder if he even likes me. I don't know if he drove 30 years or 40+ years(Depends who you ask). He is a great trainer thou. He didn't want me shifting so much, to keep it in the highest gear(low rpm; better fuel mileage) that the truck would pull. Also, I need to slow down my left and right turns; just let it crawl around the turn and once straighten out "gas on it"(his words). He was harder on me than the last instructor, but I learned more and I like his style of driving(eg. save fuel, take time turning, less shifting).

We didn't go into Spokane today as I thought we would. But, it was okay because I still worked on turning and I got better gearshift training. My route was the following:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=6952624182192860708,47.8191 49,-116.788273%3B2389322109416752617,48.139344,-116.599317%3B4935941880488918442,47.953260,-116.868267&saddr=2845+W.+Seltice+Way,+coeur+d'alen e,+id&daddr=rathdrum,+id+to:ID-53+%4047.818940,+-116.788690+to:US-95+%4048.139340,+-116.599990+to:ID-54+%4047.953090,+-116.868210+to:47.699249,-116.824493&mrcr=4&mrsp=5&sz=13&mra=mi&sll=47.70410 1,-116.834965&sspn=0.050136,0.097847&ie=UTF8&ll=47.85 8324,-116.724243&spn=0.399902,1.233215&z=10&om=1

At lunchtime I watched the video "A Mistress Called the Road" (http://www.qcontinuum.com/~keard/misroad.html). She has waited a long time for me to return to her. :lol:

I was on the range(eg. backing) from 4-6pm. I was not too happy with myself for the first hour, but things started clicking in towards the end. I was having troubles with the 45 degree back, but when I switched to the 90 degree back(Generally a harder backing maneuver) I did it right the first time. I have 4 hours on the range Thursday afternoon. I will work on the 45 degree until I get it right. Plus, I will start on parallel parking, and forward/reverse serpentine. I think I will do just fine, now.

When I was going back to the hotel after school, my pickup felt funny. The clutch pushed in easier and it steered faster. All that driving slow around the range and pushing in that big clutch(I need to work on that left leg muscle) has changed my perception on driving. I know from my past that after weeks of driving a big truck, that driving a vehicle low to the ground is a strange sensation. I just didn't think it would kick in so fast. =-O :-D

I have homework tonight that is a 57 question test. The ONLY way to past the test is to open up the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations(FMCSR; aka Trucker's Bible) book and find the answer. For everyone else this is midterm test and the instructor is correcting their papers today. For me, because I was on the range and because I am NOT required to take this test(refresher course student), my instructor will let me correct my own test tomorrow morning.

DD - When will you be thru CDA on your new load? Give me a phone call when you get close. If it is Friday morning I may be on my mountain drive up 4th of July/Lookout Passes. In that case, I will have to be on the watch for you.

Your last load was a brutal run; Hope for you that this will be much easier.

BTW, on Saturday in CDA they are renaming the airport to Pappy Boyington Field, as this WWII USMC fighter pilot and Medal of Honor winner was born here. I am helping the Marine Corps League at the ceremony. They are going to have 2 USMC Harriers jets from his squadron VMA-214 there for the dedication.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Board Regular

Devildice,

Where are you at? I have a plate of GFIW cookies that I can't finish right now because I am stuffed. They are so good!! :lol:

GFIW,

Thank you so very much for the cookies! It was great to meet you today.

I finished my backing on the range today. I did all the required maneuvers and feel much more confident than yesterday. I can still do a 90 degree back better than a 45. I do think I was spoiled in my earlier trucking years with a cabover. :shock: Say what you want about a cabover, but they are superior in maneuvering with their shortbase and driver positioning(eg. left front corner). I am looking forward to driving a little nose(KW T800) for Davis thou.

Tomorrow is my mountain driving. Plan is to go east on I90 over 4th of July July Pass, south on ID3 to Saint Maries, west on ID5 to Plummer, then north on US95 to CDA. This will be my last drive with Sage.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Board Icon

DevilDice, good to hear that you are rolling good.

So, you are going all over, you still like it?

http://watsonsysco.com/