User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

09/04/07
I made my delivery as scheduled and called in my empty status. There was nothing at the moment or on the near horizon for freight going from Houston to San Antonio so I was put “Out of Service” and deadheaded home. I got here early this afternoon and it feels GREAT!!! I will go back in service Monday morning.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:55 AM

thanks for all the info. i started reading a while back and it took me this long to finish. I have recently moved to Georgia and have been looking into the trucking business. Following your adventures makes me feel better about giving it a try. been working with a recrutier and i think i will be headed to arkansas to start school monday. hope to see you out on the road.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyavp
thanks for all the info. i started reading a while back and it took me this long to finish. I have recently moved to Georgia and have been looking into the trucking business. Following your adventures makes me feel better about giving it a try. been working with a recrutier and i think i will be headed to arkansas to start school monday. hope to see you out on the road.
I am glad you have enjoyed reading about my adventures. As I stated at the very begining, I was doing it for 2 reasons, one for those that just enjoy reading about it and two to help ease any tension other newbies like myself might have about entering the industry.

Who are you looking at signing on with?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Always good to get home.So you were told that Maverick didn't hire in the San Antonio area, they may have been referring to students.That is how I got home most of the time was by taking a load of sheetrock or lumber to San Antonio and alot of time I pick up steel at Seguin or Laredo.Maverick does run alot of I-35.I hope to be back with them either this week or next.Guess their automatic trucks made me lazy.Hope everything works out for you.Guess I could drive for Davis,my mom lives in Bozeman Mt. would get to see her.Enjoy your hometime and get those honey do lists taken care of.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Sure did ease some tensions. Going to sign on with CRE. I have some past issue and they are the ones willing to give me a shot. Will be paying for school myself so can make a move it is doesn't work out with them. Got to get some experience first. I am the type that i will find the good in everything so should not be a problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Always good to get home.So you were told that Maverick didn't hire in the San Antonio area, they may have been referring to students.That is how I got home most of the time was by taking a load of sheetrock or lumber to San Antonio and alot of time I pick up steel at Seguin or Laredo.Maverick does run alot of I-35.I hope to be back with them either this week or next.Guess their automatic trucks made me lazy.Hope everything works out for you.Guess I could drive for Davis,my mom lives in Bozeman Mt. would get to see her.Enjoy your hometime and get those honey do lists taken care of.
I do not recall if they (Maverick) were refering to students or anyone, just know they said I was outside their hiring area for bot the flatbed and specialized division. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out the way you hope.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyavp
Sure did ease some tensions. Going to sign on with CRE. I have some past issue and they are the ones willing to give me a shot. Will be paying for school myself so can make a move it is doesn't work out with them. Got to get some experience first. I am the type that i will find the good in everything so should not be a problem.
Well I am glad to hear some of your tension was put at ease. I know I was a little uptight when I was preparing to start and low and behold there really wasn't anything to worry about. I found that everything from learning how to drive a big rig to how the industry works up to this point has been a somewhat breeze, well maybe not a breeze, there have been some tense moments but definitely not nearly as I anticipated.

I know CRE has a pretty bad rep out here, but everyone that I have spoken with seems to be happy there. All except one were company drivers and they all said STAY AWAY from the lease deal. I wish you the best of luck and be sure to let me know how things work out for you.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
You know, I thought for sure I would gain a few pounds because of those cookies......but in reality, I have actually lost 16lbs now since I started this gig :shock:
:cry: :sad: :cry: Maybe I need to get in truck driving to get rid of my baby fat! With my luck I would put on 16 lbs instead of losing it!

Glad you got home it time to take care of business.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Hey DD,any idea where you will load out of when you leave the house? Alot of times I will pick up in Seguin (re bar) or Eagle Pass (coils).Enjoy your weekend.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
You know, I thought for sure I would gain a few pounds because of those cookies......but in reality, I have actually lost 16lbs now since I started this gig :shock:
:cry: :sad: :cry: Maybe I need to get in truck driving to get rid of my baby fat! With my luck I would put on 16 lbs instead of losing it!

Glad you got home it time to take care of business.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Actually, when I got home I jumped on the scale again and I was wrong when I said 16 lbs, it was a total of 23 lbs since I started with Davis. My wife said she hasn't seen me this thin since we got married......not sure if that was a compliment or not...... :lol: