User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just read pages 1-4 of this thread.......didn't even glance at this page (p-85), just scrolled down to comment. I have a lot of reading to do now.... up to page 85 now, LOL. Thank you for posting your story here, it has been enjoyed. Much like you, I will be retiring in about three years (police work) and hope to follow my childhood dream of being a professional truck driver. I am doing my research now, hence the reason I am on this site. Your first four pages of posts have been very well written, very informative and entertaining too....I can almost put myself in the drivers seat as I read your tales.

My plans are to attend the Tidewater Community College Truck Driving program upon my retirement in a couple years. I am doing my research on this profession now.....and it seems do-able for me. I learned to drive a stick (no air-brakes) in my dads 1972 C-60 dump and went on to drive a Mack (cab forward) box truck in my early twenties....some 20 years ago. That was a long time ago......but I think I can relearn that...plus pulling a 53 foot trailer. First day in this Mack that the company bought used, the clutch linkage broke and I damn near tipped it over trying to avoid having an accident and getting the damn thing stopped. It would not go into neutral without the clutch and I had to make a hard left turn at about 35 mph. and slam the brakes and emergency brake to get it stoppped. Luckily, the load of bagged ice (if I recall, 15,000 lbs) didn't shift too much and I stayed upright. Got back to the office some 4 hours later grabbed an old C-60 and still had to run the 8 hour route. But having to deliver to the Va. Beach Oceanfront did have its good side (.)(.)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyandpuppy View Post
Just read pages 1-4 of this thread.......didn't even glance at this page (p-85), just scrolled down to comment. I have a lot of reading to do now.... up to page 85 now, LOL. Thank you for posting your story here, it has been enjoyed. Much like you, I will be retiring in about three years (police work) and hope to follow my childhood dream of being a professional truck driver. I am doing my research now, hence the reason I am on this site. Your first four pages of posts have been very well written, very informative and entertaining too....I can almost put myself in the drivers seat as I read your tales.

My plans are to attend the Tidewater Community College Truck Driving program upon my retirement in a couple years. I am doing my research on this profession now.....and it seems do-able for me. I learned to drive a stick (no air-brakes) in my dads 1972 C-60 dump and went on to drive a Mack (cab forward) box truck in my early twenties....some 20 years ago. That was a long time ago......but I think I can relearn that...plus pulling a 53 foot trailer. First day in this Mack that the company bought used, the clutch linkage broke and I damn near tipped it over trying to avoid having an accident and getting the damn thing stopped. It would not go into neutral without the clutch and I had to make a hard left turn at about 35 mph. and slam the brakes and emergency brake to get it stoppped. Luckily, the load of bagged ice (if I recall, 15,000 lbs) didn't shift too much and I stayed upright. Got back to the office some 4 hours later grabbed an old C-60 and still had to run the 8 hour route. But having to deliver to the Va. Beach Oceanfront did have its good side (.)(.)
Thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:. But be forwarned to read the entire thread at your own risk as you will never be able to get that time back on your life.....lol

As for your near accident, wow....lucky you. I bet you needed a change of clothes after that :lol:. I was stationed in Norfolk (actually VA Beach) so I can relate to and certainly miss the sites you speak of .

Best of luck to you and keep us informed on your progress when the time comes.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Default wow......

wow I cannot believe I have not updated this thread in so long!!!! shame on me I guess.

well for those of you that wanna know, yes I'm still alive :-) I'm still here at landstar but i pull a step deck now a days..... sometime back in june or july of last year I traded in my flatbed for a 2012 manac 53 foot step.....

honestly not much has changed since my last post on here except my average rate per mile has gone up slightly with the step deck .........I am pretty much still spending about 2 weeks out on the road and a couple of weeks at home......

i continue do learn with each day/load and thus far am still happy and doing well :-)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I was wondering where you went................
Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
He went.......... <---------------------------<<<<<<<<<< ........That-a-way!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
still out here big truk trucking......lol
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
He went.......... <---------------------------<<<<<<<<<< ........That-a-way!!!!
yep orange.....been going this way.....that way......and everywhere in between :-)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Rookie

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm from South Africa. Devildice I read your thread from start to end and enjoyed all of it. I'm amazed at how you guys run over there. I'm an owner operator myself and can relate to all your frustrations, dealing with some customers giving you a hard time. Nice looking rig DD, if I may call you that. I have been driving my own truck/s for 18 years now and I'm amazed by how much DD acheived in such a relative amount of time, but I guess if you put you're mind to it you can do it. Well done. Regards, Trucker from across the pond.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn3406 View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm from South Africa. Devildice I read your thread from start to end and enjoyed all of it. I'm amazed at how you guys run over there. I'm an owner operator myself and can relate to all your frustrations, dealing with some customers giving you a hard time. Nice looking rig DD, if I may call you that. I have been driving my own truck/s for 18 years now and I'm amazed by how much DD acheived in such a relative amount of time, but I guess if you put you're mind to it you can do it. Well done. Regards, Trucker from across the pond.
wow....didnt realize that someone from way over the pond would read my thread ......thank you for the compliment and i agree with your statement that anyone can achieve anything if they just put their mind to it......thanks again and be safe!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Brother...there are a whole lot of us who read your posts and learn a lot from them, too!