User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Assuming you're finding the loads posted on an internet load board of some type, here's about how it works.

-search for a load withing the P/U & del area you want.
-determine deadhead miles to P/U
-determine loaded miles
-estimate probable deadhead to next P/U miles.
-add all those miles together and multiply by our cost/mile to figure your cost to pull that load.
-Punch the broker MC# into www.safersys.org to see thet they have broker authority and a valid bond.
-If you use a credit check service, check to see that the broker pays his bills.

Then dial the number:

You: Hi, I'm calling about Timbuktu to Ankorage.
Broker: Yes, can you pick up today?
You: tomorrow morning.
Broker: OK, It's one pick one drop, legal on a step deck. 25,000lbs pays $900 to the truck on 450 miles.
You: Does it need a tarp?
Broker: Yes.
You: what are the dimensions?
Broker: 35' long by 8' wide by 11' high.
You: 11' high? I thought you said it was legal?
Broker: Some guys let the air out of the suspension.
You: Chuckle. What are the pickup and delivery times?
Broker: between 8:00 - 3:00 on the pickup and there is a 8:00 crane appointment at the delivery.
You: Crane appointment....hmmmm. I show 500 miles. I can do it for $1,000 + $150 for 3 permits.
Broker: I can give you $1100 all in.
You: OK.
Broker: What's the company name?
You: Hammerdown trucking.
Broker: I don't think we've dealt with you have we?
You: No.
Broker: I'll fax you a carrier packet. Fill it out and fax it back along with your W9, your authourity and insurance. What's your fax number?

Once you receive the carrier packet you can check their days to pay. Some are 45 days and you may decide to renegotiate the rate becuase of that or negotiate a shorter payment time or forget it alltogether.

good luck
rank
doesnt know how: Hi, I'm calling about Timbuktu to Ankorage
broker: yes it pays 875.00
doesnt know how : I will take it
broker: great have I dealt with you before
doesnt know how: no
broker: I will send you a packet whats you fax.

broker: Hammerdown trucking
Hammerdown: yes
broker: sorry but the shipper cancled the load
Hammerdown: steve got it didnt he?
broker: no honest it canceled.
Hammerdown: fine take you load and oh never mind have a good day.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member

lmao!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM

[quote="rank"]lmao![ /quote] Reality bites. :twisted: unfortunately even those of us who do not have the privalage to deal with brokers know this is how it works. Too bad some folks are too damn stubborn to understand by taking cheap they hurt themselves. We had an over size cancle on us. We took a hazmat two weeks ago and was going to bring back a tractor. They cancled. The guy who took it, didnt get enough for permits, and the fine was 3 times what he made on the load. The broker called us about three hours after the pick up and begged and I mean begged us to go and get this thing for him. Sometimes the brokers need to look at what they are getting at such a crap price.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've found that some brokers call and it's no fooling around. You can tell it's going to be good. They first ask if your available then if the answer is yes they ask if your interested in going from point A to B. If that's a yes they launch into all the details and I mean ALL the details then finish with a very decent rate.

I've had lots of loads canceled and I know someone else must have called up and given a lower price. I've also had lots of brokers not send me the rate conformation and I know they holding out till the last second in case someone else comes in at a lower price. If I don't get the rate conformation within an hour I look for another load.

I've had these same brokers call me the next day asking if I just got the rate conformation. I'm like, are you kidding. That was over 24 hours ago and I'm under a load now 600 miles away from your client!!!

Then it's like, blah blah blah this and that. And I tell them, well, you just left me hanging.