User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A couple questions

Ok I'm progressing with getting my authority and next week will be updating the Step by Step thread, I have a couple of side questions though:

1)As for the base plates, I was told by the freightliner dealer that if I wanted to get it myself I would have to go to Tallahasse (state cap.) which is not worth it, too far. Anyone know how I can do this in Fla?

2)How do you guys send out your invoices? I'm thinking of buying Quickbooks and doing it from out on the road. But that's just another couple hundred more I have to spend, though it does have a lot of good tools to track expenses.

3)Is it possible to buy cargo insurance and liability insurance from different brokers? I got two quotes and one is several hundred dollars cheaper on one and the other is several hundred dollars cheaper on the other. (I know I can just ask them, but they have an interest in having me buy it all from them).

4)As for the New Mexico and other states that I'll need special permits, as I already have my DOT# do I start filing for that already or do I need the MC# issued?

5)I found a trailer (reefer) but it's a 2001 and I read that starting next year that no 2001 trailers or older will be allowed in California. Any word if this is actually going to go through, or does this usually get tied up for years by lawsuits?

I guess that's all for now. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Rookie

Hey merrick the quiken home and business allows you to create invocies also and it"s only fifty or sixty bucks.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Board Member

You can get software for $5-10 at places like Staples that make invoices and do simple expense reports. Quicken and the other well known software lets you download stuff from your bank. It depends on how fancy you need to be.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Rookie
Default Base Plates

It is best to go get your base plates from Tallahassee. It takes them forever to send it to you. You'll be making truck notes and not running waiting on your plates. So, if you are pressed for time take the drive. They take their pleasant time processing base plates for some odd reason. When you go to them it's ready immediatly. They may have gotten better but, I doubt it. If you go, pick it up go early in the morning or eles be prepared to wait some dreadful hours in line.

Keep me updated on your authority!!! I'm sure I can be of service to you starting out.... :lol:
[email protected]
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It will be faster to go in person to get your base plates. They should have a list of what is needed they can send you. Some have it available on line. My state requires a business telephone line in the name of the business and proof of residency. You will also need proof that you have paid your 2290 and have a copy of your title, DOT number and MC authority.

There is software which is trucking specific that will keep your books and do invoices. You can also design your own with a spreadsheet or word processor. If you have a printer and computer in the truck, you can do it while on the road. If you don't want to take the computer and printer with you, print some out or buy some blanks at any office supply store. It looks more professional to have your name neatly printed, but hand written works.

Brokers write for different companies. It pays to check around with several brokers. I would check with each one to see who they write for so you don't duplicate your or their efforts.

You will need your motor carrier authority before you can do anything else. You will need a KYU number from Kentucky and a New Mexico permit if you plan on running in those states. Oregon requires you have a PUC or get trip permits if you run there.

I haven't heard anything about age restrictions on trailers in California. I can't imagine them stopping every trailer entering the state to check the year model.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks Gman, I was hoping you'd read this.

Anyway I googled trucking software and I see there area a lot of them out there, have you found one that you feel is the best to use? I will be taking a computer, printer etc.

As for the base plate, I found a company that will get it for me. They can get it for me the next day. It's too far to drive (Ft. Lauderdale to Tallahassee) with gas and such it won't be worth it.

Here's the article about the reefer situation in California http://www.landlinemag.com/Archives/...California.htm

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It depends on what you want your software to do. I have TrucknPro and Easy Trucking. I like the way TrucknPro is set up (www.foglinesoftware.com). It is very easy to use. They are constantly working on improvements and the developer is still active in the industry. There are a couple of things it doesn't do as yet. Invoicing and calculation of fuel taxes, although he just introduced a way to put your miles in and then you can print out a report to do your fuel taxes. Easy Trucking (www.easytrucking.com) will do everything including Invoicing and calculating of taxes. There customer support is lacking according to some. I changed computers and he was fairly responsive to help me reinstall the program on the new program. I understand he was once a driver. You can do most all of your accounting with the program. One other I looked at briefly is Truckers Helper (www.truckershelper.com). This is another developer who was previously a driver, so I understand. This programs does everything including payroll and will calculate the payroll by the hour, mileage or percentage. Some feel it is a little difficult or complex for every day use. Prophecy is another which I hear a little bit about from time to time. I have never used it, so I can't give you any direct knowledge about it. I have a friend who used Loadledger and has been happy with it for several years. I don't recall whether it has invoicing capability. The least expensive is TrucknPro at $75. Easy Trucking costs about $150 the last time I checked. Truckers helper has several different versions available according to the size of your company and what you want to do with it. I believe prices are $495 or less, depending on what you need. For a single truck operation, you could probably get by on the $329 package. I believe all of them have either an on line demo or free trial. If I were you, I would make a list of what you would like to have your software do and go from there. There are some who are running their trucking business with Quick-books Pro. You will need to design the software for your application. I believe the cost is about $300. I am not sure about the cost on that one.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4

Here's the article about the reefer situation in California http://www.landlinemag.com/Archives/...California.htm

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting the link. If owner operators and small fleets can't or don't want to pay for the retrofit, then they will simply need to stay out of California. I suppose California growers will need to find some other way to move their produce out of the state. Sometimes I think these so called elected officials should be required to have an intelligence test before they can run for office. We would probably have fewer elected officials. :lol:
Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Oh gosh, another truck driver down here, while FL is dying out....don't count on being back every weekend now. Too late for that.
Tallahassee isn't that slow with the plates actually. But quite unorganized with the IFTA!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Rookie

We use Quickbook Pro for our business. I really had to customize it a bit to suit my needs in the office. I don't have any complaints so far. It is a bit pricey but you can run across coupons or special offers online or in the stores.
[email protected]