Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
:shock: :shock:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
You should be nervous. When Bush leaves the whitehouse, there will be spending cuts, layoffs and probably a recession.

Ummmmm.....We already have been having that..since Bush stepped into that there "House".

:twisted: :twisted: :wink:
.....and when he leaves, the new guy will say he's suprised at how bad things are and how he needs to get fiscally responsible for 3 years to clean up the debt. He gets to blame the mess on Bush. And he'd be right.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
This thread is making me nervous. I am very close to taking the plunge and getting a truck and signing on to Crst Malone. GMAN, you still feel they are a good outfit to sign on with?

Merrick, I think you can still do well with them. You just need to get a good dispatcher or hook up with a good agent. Things have been slow, but I have a friend who seems to still be doing fairly well with them. Things were pretty tough for a while with him.

Cam, I ran into a Landstar owner operator early this morning while I was getting a flat repaired. He had the same problem. He has been leased to them for about 5 years and has a run down to Florida. According to him he is getting $2.60/mile. Apparently, he is doing fairly well with them. Watermelons should be starting shortly. They paid $2/mile when I was leased to them. Of course, that is gross. It takes time to find the right contacts who have the better paying loads, whether it is Landstar, CRST Malone or some other carrier. Some of the most successful owner operators I have met who leased to Landstar spend a lot of time planning their runs and booking freight. One of those names I sent you has offered me loads over $3/mile. Now those are for a step deck or flat bed, but some do have good paying freight. I would think you could find some who had van loads which would pay you $1.50/mile with fsc. I like to negotiate with brokers. I did the same thing when I was leased to Landstar and CRST Malone. Sometimes you can get a better rate, other times you can't. You don't know until you try. I have a minimum rate for which I will haul a load. I did the same thing when I was leased to these carriers. If they know you won't accept cheap loads, they will start offering you better paying loads. If a load doesn't meet my minimum, it doesn't go on the truck. Unless I can make a fair profit on a load, I won't haul it. I don't see the point in hauling a load for fuel money. If you own a truck you deserve to make a profit when you haul a load. If you don't make a profit, you won't stay in business very long. You can't get rich or earn a good living without first making a profit. If you don't make a profit, you are better off working as a company driver.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Some of the most successful owner operators I have met who leased to Landstar spend a lot of time planning their runs and booking freight. One of those names I sent you has offered me loads over $3/mile. Now those are for a step deck or flat bed, .
Could you clarify that GMAN please. I mean I think what you are saying is that these guys don't wait to get empty then start looking for loads, but you would think that's common sense. Thus I think you might mean something else. I do that now anyway, I send in repeated messages that I will be empty on a certain date so start finding me a load.

Also, one concern is I don't know what things should be paying and really have no idea til I get out there. I don't see that aspect of the business now.

By the way, If I go with CRST should I buy a step deck or flat bed. Everyone keeps saying to buy a step.

Thanks GMAN
Old 05-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Some of the most successful owner operators I have met who leased to Landstar spend a lot of time planning their runs and booking freight. One of those names I sent you has offered me loads over $3/mile. Now those are for a step deck or flat bed, .
Could you clarify that GMAN please. I mean I think what you are saying is that these guys don't wait to get empty then start looking for loads, but you would think that's common sense. Thus I think you might mean something else. I do that now anyway, I send in repeated messages that I will be empty on a certain date so start finding me a load.

Also, one concern is I don't know what things should be paying and really have no idea til I get out there. I don't see that aspect of the business now.

By the way, If I go with CRST should I buy a step deck or flat bed. Everyone keeps saying to buy a step.

Thanks GMAN

There are many drivers who don't seem to plan their work. They don't try to find their next load until they are empty. I always started looking for my next load right after I put the current load on the truck. CRST Malone has a dispatcher assigned to each truck. Once your dispatcher gets to know how you like to run and where, they will be able to more easily hep you to keep moving. You are also free to contact their agents to find loads. Some owner operators run for particular agents. It is up to you.

Every carrier has an average rate. The first thing any owner operator should do is find what your operating costs run. Once you know your costs you will know if a load will be profitable for you. I have a minimum haul rate. Some people don't. That is a decision you will need to make for yourself.

I had a flat and step deck leased to CRST Malone at the same time. I did a little better with the step deck, but their primary lanes for that type of freight runs East and West along I-80 and I-70. I think you will be better off with a flat. I preferred a side kit for the freight I hauled. I rarely took the kit down. Either will work, but there are some shippers who won't load a step deck. For the freight they mostly haul, a flat will probably work a little better, but either will do the job.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Board Regular
Default i wanna go home

I have been sitting here since friday afternon.I called about 10 agents from MI in my book.I just cannot run my truck for 1.46gross or 1.56gross at 44kibs.One agent I called wanted my truck # and I reponded, if I book a load with you then I will give you my truck #.He said Nada and we both hung up.A lady offered me a load with about 3 stops to SC and this will be 200 miles from home.I just want a staright shot home and not more than 150(deadhead) miles from home.I just don't even want a short haul.My bottom line is $$1.75 gross and even that is hard to get in this damn place.I got a page for somewhere in Mi to peachtree city , GA.I then called because the system said the gross was $1400 and about a 700 mile run.He then tells me the fuel surcharge is 237 and he would have to subtract that from the gross.From $1.75gross per mile it now comes out to $1.46gross per mile.I just answered, Nope, I can't run my truck for that and we both hung up.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: i wanna go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
I have been sitting here since friday afternon.I called about 10 agents from MI in my book.I just cannot run my truck for 1.46gross or 1.56gross at 44kibs.One agent I called wanted my truck # and I reponded, if I book a load with you then I will give you my truck #.He said Nada and we both hung up.A lady offered me a load with about 3 stops to SC and this will be 200 miles from home.I just want a staright shot home and not more than 150(deadhead) miles from home.I just don't even want a short haul.My bottom line is $$1.75 gross and even that is hard to get in this damn place.I got a page for somewhere in Mi to peachtree city , GA.I then called because the system said the gross was $1400 and about a 700 mile run.He then tells me the fuel surcharge is 237 and he would have to subtract that from the gross.From $1.75gross per mile it now comes out to $1.46gross per mile.I just answered, Nope, I can't run my truck for that and we both hung up.
You botched that one, Henboy. $1400- 237 = 1163/700 = 1.66(.65) +.34 = 1.42/mi to the truck...I mean, it would have gotten you to the house!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Board Regular
Default nah buddy

Not having a truck note doesn't mean I wanna run for 1.46per mile.Nope.I am looking at the pilot sign right now and it saids 2.81cpg for desiel.It will cost me 400 in fuel to get home and me taking a load that pays about 650-700 to my truck is a bit low.A lady just called me and she found a load to Oakwood , GA but it picks up in Ohio.She is also trying to find me a loadto Ohio from sterling heights , MI.Wow , she is sweet.She is supposed to call back.May the Lord bless this lady!I am tired of cranking my generator for 4 days to keep my truck battery on.I am even tired of cooking with this damn stove.Wish me luck CAM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: nah buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
Not having a truck note doesn't mean I wanna run for 1.46per mile.Nope.I am looking at the pilot sign right now and it saids 2.81cpg for desiel.It will cost me 400 in fuel to get home and me taking a load that pays about 650-700 to my truck is a bit low.A lady just called me and she found a load to Oakwood , GA but it picks up in Ohio.She is also trying to find me a loadto Ohio from sterling heights , MI.Wow , she is sweet.She is supposed to call back.May the Lord bless this lady!I am tired of cranking my generator for 4 days to keep my truck battery on.I am even tired of cooking with this damn stove.Wish me luck CAM.
The LORD bless you, screw 'luck'! :wink: No, no, no, look for that 'to the truck'. That's what goes to you to buy fuel and mice for your python..., food for the kids..., whatever. $1.42 x 700 = $994. Look, it's not 1,000 shares of Google at the IPO price, but it's the house, it's mice, it's an overstuffed chair and satelite TV!!! Maybe things will work out with the nice lady. I'll PM you my phone number if you want to discuss load matching or anything else. If you've got load matching down cold I might not be able to help you. But, a lot of people don't use it well. You being an IT guy maybe I should be getting advice from you.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

she was nice but I turned down her load.She offered 1.56per mile gross on a hazmat with 43k ibs of paint.I said NOPE, and she tried to get more from the shipper but no luck.On my way to this damn journey NC scales stopped me on a random inspection.I thought they would shut me down.They did a level 2 on me without checking my brake lining(only if they did)and give me a paper to fix the leaking exhaust under the sleeper and my cracked windshield.I will not put myslf in that situation again by hauling hazmat across the state lines.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

So, here I sit in trucking purgatory, AKA Denver, CO, and this light breaks down from heaven. This agent sees my truck in the area and calls me up. He's got a load picking up tomorrow afternoon (great, because I'm unloading tomorrow morning) going to Tobyhanna, PA. Pays on 1692 miles and that's accurate with in 11 miles. Load is light, pays $1.28/mi all in to the truck. But wait, you say, that's not so much!? Brother, out of Denver, nothing short of a gift from God! The reason the agent called me is because he just wanted to book the load without having his phone lines slammed with a million calls. No lie, that's just how it happens on a good load. In this place, Landstar vans, this is a good load. Sure, there is also that one in a million like I had out of Denver last year paying about a buck-60. But this load, this load is still righteous.

If there were such a thing as a backhaul Denver would be the backhaul. Made $1.47 ttt OH to KC; $1.42 Topeka to French Camp, CA; about $1.60 Turlock, CA to Salem, OR 41K and mountaiiinnnnssss ( :x my jakes are really weak); $1.21 Porland, OR to Denver (kind of steals my thunder, the NW can be an even lower level of hell) :lol: and so now I'm off to PA at $1.28. PA isn't necessarily a good freight area but it doesn't require divine intervention to book a load out of there either.

These aren't bragging rates, many of you will consider them pathetic. This is just what it is, I'm just reporting. This means I'm still profitable although I may be working harder to make less than some. It gets the bills paid. It gets me into the heart of the season. I've got my eyes wide open for whatever opportunities present themselves to do better.

Oh, and here is the kicker. Denver to PA, I'm immediately thinking through KC and Indy etc. The load picks up Tuesday night and doesn't deliver until Monday... :? No, wait, the shortest route actually runs through Chicago, I'm basically running past the house with a couple of days to spare under load!!! :shock: Wonder what the house looks like or if anyone will still recognize me :lol: