User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You're saying they'll pay you $200 per trip so that you can put $125 in your pocket whereas they pay the Mexican drivers so that he can put $20 in his pocket? $125 v. $20??? Now what are you going to do?

But, you make the overall case more clear. Lower paid Mexican drivers will start hauling freight now being hauled by Americans. Those American drivers will have to look for some other kind of work. They'll become bedbuggers and flatbedders...it seems every time some kind of American manufacturing shuts down half the employees get their CDLs. More drivers, whether they be displaced truckers or displaced steel workers, more drivers means a greater supply of labor and what happens when supply goes up?

CaptainGhost, are you still saying that Mexican carriers charge more to haul freight than American carriers even though Mexican drivers are paid a fraction of what American drivers are paid?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Rookie

No I think you do not understad what I am traying to explain, Mexican Carriers nor Mexican Drivers are interested in coming to USA to take away your loads because they make good money in Mexico a Mexican driver makes more money than other Mexicans in other jobs, The law of offer and demand does not apply in this case because Mexican drivers are
not offering their services to American Carriers if the Mexican drivers mentality where that of if they come to work as drivers in the USA and make much more money, be sure you would be looking for another career because they all would be here working illegally as truck drivers,
just like the rest of the illegals performing other jobs in other industries
like Agriculture,Construction, Food and General labor, Why do you think
all those American Companies closed their factories and came to Mexico?
To take advantage of the highly qualifyed ship Mexican Labor and now are
closing in Mexico and going to China an average Chinese labor worker makes about $ 3 dlls per day
Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Rookie

Capitan Ghost I don't know where your getting your info from about the price of transfers here in Laredo to Nuevo Laredo but you are off. The going rate is around $100.00 which has been that way for years.

If your coming Northbound into the U.S, it can at times take six, seven, hours to get across the bridge. Subtract the toll of roughly 12.00 dollars, diesel, and driver pay, there is not much left.

Rates to Monterrey are around $250.00 dollars from Nuevo Laredo

It is a cut throat business just like in the US.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone
Capitan Ghost I don't know where your getting your info from about the price of transfers here in Laredo to Nuevo Laredo but you are off. The going rate is around $100.00 which has been that way for years.

If your coming Northbound into the U.S, it can at times take six, seven, hours to get across the bridge. Subtract the toll of roughly 12.00 dollars, diesel, and driver pay, there is not much left.

Rates to Monterrey are around $250.00 dollars from Nuevo Laredo

It is a cut throat business just like in the US.
First post, and a good one too! You are WELCOME here at Classadrivers.com!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanGhost
No I think you do not understad what I am traying to explain, Mexican Carriers nor Mexican Drivers are interested in coming to USA to take away your loads because they make good money in Mexico a Mexican driver makes more money than other Mexicans in other jobs, The law of offer and demand does not apply in this case because Mexican drivers are
not offering their services to American Carriers if the Mexican drivers mentality where that of if they come to work as drivers in the USA and make much more money, be sure you would be looking for another career because they all would be here working illegally as truck drivers,
just like the rest of the illegals performing other jobs in other industries
like Agriculture,Construction, Food and General labor, Why do you think
all those American Companies closed their factories and came to Mexico?
To take advantage of the highly qualifyed ship Mexican Labor and now are
closing in Mexico and going to China an average Chinese labor worker makes about $ 3 dlls per day
Well, I can't just say 'goodbye' because I believe you are sincere. For one thing, I am aware that Mexican labor has become overpriced compared to the Chinese and that indeed some manufacturing has moved from Mexico to China. It's true.

I had a little problem understanding your English but I think I got enough. From everything I've seen Mexican drivers will earn even more than they already are if/when they start hauling up into the US. There was a post on another thread saying Celadon might be paying the Mexican drivers 19cpm and that is well over the average of 14cpm they are making now. Supply and demand does apply. Even if Mexican drivers make a lot of money compared to other Mexicans, they'll be lining up to make even more if they have the chance. That's just a fact.

Now, there may be some who are afraid of the change. There may be some who don't want to go to a foreign country or who don't want to try to learn English. In the end, money talks. If some drivers don't want to come over here somebody else will be chomping at the bit (that just means very eager).

The situation with Mexican carriers is a whole nother matter. I can understand their concern if they think the big American carriers are going to come to Mexico and run them out of business. Take Ford, for instance. They won't be working with 100 small carriers. They'll be working with one or maybe a few big carriers. The situation for Mexican drivers and Mexican carriers is two totally separate things. If Celadon builds some huge terminals in Mexico, Mexican drivers and not American drivers will be working there.

As far as the numbers go, that's two guys now who have said the numbers you have been giving haven't been right. I hope they pursue that with you. Why should I talk about theory when they know what is actually happening.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Rookie

I am not pretending to be right in everything, $100 per trip is correct but this is a round trip at $100 each way, if it where $100 per round trip it would not be a good business $11 fuel, $20 Drivers, $14 bridge toll Mexican side $12 bridge toll US side $10 US Customs fee =$67 $100-67=$33 I dont think any Carrier will move this loads for a $33 profit I import plastics for recycling from Monterrey some times thru Laredo some times thru Mc Allen,Tx and the shippest rate I had pay is $4300 pesos(about $420 dlls) well it was nice talking to you guys, I got to go
Haul Cars the best paying load since Mexico started allowing Mexicans
to import american cars, over 1000 cars and trucks imported to Mexico thru this Border every day
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanGhost
I am not pretending to be right in everything, $100 per trip is correct but this is a round trip at $100 each way, if it where $100 per round trip it would not be a good business $11 fuel, $20 Drivers, $14 bridge toll Mexican side $12 bridge toll US side $10 US Customs fee =$67 $100-67=$33 I dont think any Carrier will move this loads for a $33 profit I import plastics for recycling from Monterrey some times thru Laredo some times thru Mc Allen,Tx and the shippest rate I had pay is $4300 pesos(about $420 dlls) well it was nice talking to you guys, I got to go
Haul Cars the best paying load since Mexico started allowing Mexicans
to import american cars, over 1000 cars and trucks imported to Mexico thru this Border every day
I see you were trying to be straight with us and it's good to hear the view of somebody actually working at the border on a regular basis. Stop by again, huh?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

CapitanGhost, don't take what I was saying personally. I'm just relaying info that I had heard many times, and it was always the same answer, so I tend to believe them. You ARE welcome here, as far as I'm concerned. :wink:

BTW - good luck hauling those cars!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 AM

General Electric made rough steel casting rings in Portland,Me that they shipped to Bango,Me. {150 miles away +/-} for final machining that are now made over the border and shipped well over 3000 miles by truck to Bangor, so I'm sure the Mexican trucks make a bundle on the cross border move.
(see sarcasim in previous statement :lol: )
While on the subject,anyone that doesn't think these bottom dollar big companies are not going to replace the bottom feeder drivers they have with an even less paid,less qualified Mexican driver has been completley
dooped by this pitiful leadership in the white house.It just leeds to more of American jobs outsourced and the gap between us and them grows.You see it's not the Mexican trucks that we should be worried about,it's the American corprate greed putting unqualified Mexican drivers on our higways in American trucks.
WE ARE PITIFUL AS A COUNTRY FOR STANDING BY AND LETTING THIS HAPPEN :sad:
Old 04-24-2007, 02:59 PM

I do not know about the inspections that is required to get trucks across the border but here is a mexican truck in america ... I don't think it would pass any dot inspection!