User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I agree that your cargo insurance could run a bit higher than mine. My rates would likely be higher if I were still hauling cars. OOIDA was high on their rates with me. I think they wanted to charge about $6,000 for just cargo and liability. Some brokers won't accept their insurance, either.
So some brokers have a problem with OOIDA insurace? Do you know what their problem is GMAN?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Board Regular

Rob Farris
209-745-4909
No_worries, be SURE to check with this insurance guy for a great quote.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Paul, some brokers want insurance to be with a AAA+ rated company, if I recall correctly. OOIDA is essentially not rated since they are (or were) considered to be self insured. They are now using Lloyds of London for some products. I don't know how some brokers may consider that change. Landstar won't take their insurance. I am not sure how much of that is due to the ratings or the on going lawsuit between Landstar and OOIDA in behalf of their BCO's or owner operators. I believe C H Robinson is another broker who will not accept insurance from OOIDA. There are about half a dozen brokers who would not accept their insurance. If you call the OOIDA insurance department, they can tell you the brokers who will not accept their coverage. I do some business with Landstar and C H Robinson, so I can't have any insurance with anyone who is not accepted by those with whom I do business. Besides, I have been able to beat their rates on the cargo and liability with my current insurance company. A friend of mine was able to save a lot of money by using OOIDA. I guess it depends on where you live and your MVR. Their disability coverage is very competitive. I had collision on my equipment with them and they replaced several windshields from rock damage. They handled the claims great. Fortunately, I haven't had any claims other than that to see how they take care of other things. Hopefully, I won't need to file any claims to check the coverage.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: inexperienced driver insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsx2000
howdy fellas~!

does anyone know if there is any insurance aout there that will insure a 21 year old. i called a couple and they all said you need at leasst 2 years of over the road experience. well how am i suppose to get experienced if no one will insure me. can i insure the truck trailer on another friver and drive like that alone. is that legal ? i kmnow if i get in a wreck it wont be covered but need to know if i get pulled over in a wweight station if they could say anything.

thanks in advance
be safe
See what SB started. His "if I can do it anyone can" mindset is bad news all around. Now kids think they dont need to learn to drive before buying. :roll:
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Rookie

thanks for your concern rigidsporty but i didnt buy anything my father did and fell sick and cant drive for a while. ive been riding with my dad on what ever ocasion id get since i was 16, and i know its not the same as driving the thing but just like you and others learned i can too. still no luck progresive wont insure molre then 300 miles out home state canal i left a mesage nobody got back with me yet and there was a local broker that quoted me for everything at 19000$ a year with 100000 and 1000000 liability and cargo. way to high as my dad paid somewhere in the 8k to 9k a year.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I doubt you're going to find anything that's much better than that with no experience. You certainly can't expect to pay anywhere near what your dad did.

Bigmon, I called Western Truck Insurance yesterday, I'm waiting to hear back on my quotes. The numbers we discussed preliminarily sounded fair so thank you for the heads-up. I did ask them about someone with no experience and they said that the numbers you mentioned sure didn't sound right for somebody with no experience, new authority and and unlimited operating radius. They thought the $16-18000 my buddy is paying sounded about right. Of course, that's for $1,000,000 liability and $140,000 physical damage.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: inexperienced driver insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
See what SB started. His "if I can do it anyone can" mindset is bad news all around. Now kids think they dont need to learn to drive before buying. :roll:
Cheese with that wine?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Wine with that cheese?
lol Steve.....it's "Cheese with that wine", go take a nap! :lol: :lol:
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Quote:
Wine with that cheese?
lol Steve.....it's "Cheese with that wine", go take a nap! :lol: :lol:

Oh crap.....Nap time is happy time!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsx2000
still no luck progresive wont insure molre then 300 miles out home state canal i left a mesage nobody got back with me yet and there was a local broker that quoted me for everything at 19000$ a year with 100000 and 1000000 liability and cargo. way to high as my dad paid somewhere in the 8k to 9k a year.
Yet somehow Mr. Booth... who by the way also has ZERO experience... mananged to get insured for less then your dad AND with out a mile restriction. :?

BTW if its an issue of your dad losing the truck perhaps you can find an experienced driver to drive his truck till your dad can get back on his feet. You are correct though... seeing how to drive a truck isnt the same as doing but I applaud your wanting to help your dad... I'd do the same thing. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Cheese with that wine?
Thats why your my hero Steve... those snappy come-backs. :wink: While your throwing your wit around, you care to help out our young friend here with his insurance problem? You seem to know how to avoid those pesky "no experience" issues.