User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the heads up on the physical damage, no_worries. I didn't think Progressive wrote physical damage on class 8 trucks. I am not sure that the length of time you have had your authority has any bearing on your premium. I think it is based more on your MVR and years of experience than anything else. Your credit score may also come into play. Some insurance companies routinely check your score and factor that into the rate. I like the idea of sharing rate information. It is a good way to help one another save money. And my broker did tell me that Northland has been difficult to beat on their rates lately. A friend of mine is thinking about getting his authority. I don't recall who he received a quote from but it was around $6,000 for everything including physical damage. That is just a little over what I was quoted last year if I included physical damage on the policy. He and I have about the same number of years experience.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Most interesting. I'm definitely going to have to look at this a little more closely. OOIDA's quote comes in pretty close to what my agent quoted me so I figured it was pretty much on target but I'll definitely be doing some more digging. I do think that cargo insurance for reefers is a little pricier given the higher instance of claims and we're a team so it's two drivers. Those things may affect the rate a little bit but not $2000. I'll be making some phone calls first of next week, that's for sure.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree that your cargo insurance could run a bit higher than mine. My rates would likely be higher if I were still hauling cars. OOIDA was high on their rates with me. I think they wanted to charge about $6,000 for just cargo and liability. Some brokers won't accept their insurance, either.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
$5000-$10000 in CA for a new authority with no driving experience? I'd like to know where you got that quote. I had a friend who did the same thing last year, ran him closer to $18-20000. I just got a quote yesterday for a new authority with 10 years of driving experience...$9500. I have to talk to your agent.

I was quoted $7000 for liability the day after I got my license. It's from the Assigned Risk program. Every broker in CA can do it, but most won't do it because the commission is really small. Kind of like an O/O running for 40cpm.

The broker is Western Truck Insurance. They're in Inglewood,CA near LAX airport.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Rookie

thanks for naming the insuirance companys now i just need to find their phone numbers and give them a call. going as a driver is out of the question as i got my dads truck and reefer payments knocking at the door ( he fell in sick and cant drive for a while ) so realy need to find somebody to insure me. apreciate everything so far guys and thanks again.keep posting if with any info please.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Have you checked with your Dad's insurance company? If not and progressive won't insure you, then it may be necessary to find a driver to put in the truck. Some companies require 3 years of experience if you are younger than 23. If you live on a farm or grew up driving farm equipment, some will consider that as experience.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Rookie

tryed my dads insurance but they require 3 yrs exp. i was thinking about a driver but where to find a good driver with years of experience thats wiiling to run LA to NY 3 to 4 times a month. i got a good list of insurance companies i will call on monday to see what they say and progresive is going to be the first.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Bigmon, is that the policy you're operating under currently? How much was your cargo coverage? My buddy got his insurance via assigned risk as well. The number I quoted was for liability, cargo and PD but if your numbers are correct then he may be getting hosed.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Bigmon, is that the policy you're operating under currently? How much was your cargo coverage? My buddy got his insurance via assigned risk as well. The number I quoted was for liability, cargo and PD but if your numbers are correct then he may be getting hosed.
I didn't get the insurance because I chose to wait a while before getting my own truck. I only pay $300 per year for car insurance. If I'm gonna pay 10k for insurance I'm gonna run some people off the road and get my moneys worth. :lol: just kidding.

The cargo quote was about $1500. I don't remember how much cargo it covered, but it was for general freight. PD was about 3-4% of the value of the truck. I was using a $30,000 truck for the quote. It all came to between $10-12000. Depending on deductible, rental coverage and all the extras.

I think the amount of liability was either 750,000 or a million. I don't remember because I was asking for the minimum to get authority.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The minimum liability is $750M, cargo the minimum is $5M, but most brokers and shippers require $100M cargo.