User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 03:48 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Steve,

I forgot to ask you the other day what kind of digital camera you have. I need to get one soon. I missed some great pictures today on I-44 in MO of the icy winter wonderland. Even though destructive, it sure was beautiful. Saw tons of broken trees. :sad:
Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I have a Sony DSC-W5 5.1 mega pixel camera. I wanted one that's very compact and closes up completely when shut off. It's been a great little camera.

I think I'm on Knoxville TN at a Pilot, not sure. I'm hoping to deliver tomorrow and be home either that night or the next morning.

I pulled in for fuel yesterday and did a walk around and one of my trailer tires was just about flat. I got my tire gage out and it had 20 pounds in it. I was lucky to be able to fill it back up and it's still OK this morning. Not sure what could have caused that. A couple of my other tires could use some air but I can't get the hose onto some of the inside tires so that's it. I'm buying those Cats Eyes for every double set of tires. What a pain in the butt trying to get the cap off those inside tires.

I was going through a construction zone yesterday on 40 in TN and the speed limit was 55. All of a sudden a construction guy jumps over the barrier in the median and starts running across in front of me. I lay on the brakes and he pretty much jumps over the other barrier. The DOT was RIGHT there and I look in my mirror and he's out of the car waving his arms and I could tell he was laying into that guy big time. If he would have tripped there would have been no way I could have avoided him.

What a pain TN is GMAN. Just one freaking hill after another. I'm glad I knew someone who lives there so I could hold them personally responsible. It's OK, I've forgiven you. I mean, GEEZE, 45mph up one big ass hill then on the brakes down the other side.

Had to call the ambulance for someone. I'm guessing it was his wife that fell out of the truck and was flat on her back shaking and must have hit her head. He was just sitting in the truck looking disgusted like, great, I'm going to lose all these miles. It was freezing cold out and he wasn't doing anything, what a F'ing idiot. I told him to get a blanket and he didn't move so I started climbing up in his cab and then he got one. I ran inside and was lucky there was a cop there. He called the ambulance and we both ran back. He guessed she was having a seizure, her eyes were a little funny. They took her away and I had breakfast. After I came out he was driving away in his truck. Got to make the delivery I guess. He did not look like the brightest bulb.

I was crossing the lot near the scales as this woman was pulling on. I put my foot on the scales and she was threatening me. When she looked away I put it back on then I would take it off. Got a few chuckles from the other drivers.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Get the valve changed on that tire. If it still buggers up, you'll need the stem changed too.

This of course only applies if there is nothing poking into the tire.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Board Regular

wow! look at all those trucks. i bet alot of people had alot of explaing to do to the safety mangers. i am really glad you made it through it Steve.

keep up the posting.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 AM

Where can I order those cats eyes are something like them, anyone know?

I just gave some money to a young guy, maybe 25 or so. Looked clean and said he hadn't eaten in 3 days and was trying to get home. I told him they were hiring inside then felt like a S$&% head. Went back and gave him some money. I mean, how the hell do you know if they're just not pan handlers?
He was inside and another driver was buying him some food, should I have done that instead?

buggers up?????? Your from England!!!! lol, you just gave yourself away!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Senior Board Member

No no, but I'll give you a hint, I live in a former British colony!

That bout narrows it down!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Board Regular

Steve, if you truck for any length of time, you will be approached by many panhandlers. The standard story is that they are stranded en-route to their home, and frequently will claim someone is "sick" or car is broke down. Some might even take your name and number to reimburse you, of course they never do.

A couple of anecdotes:

A guy in a TS recently claimed to be a driver who was fired and trying to get home, no truck, needed gas money or bus money or something. I was going to give him a dollar, but had no small bills. I ended up giving him a 20, he says, "well, that won't get me there, but better than nothing I guess...". :shock:

Also had a scary-looking girl ask for money in a Kroger parking lot. Gave her a couple of bucks. She says, "is that all ya got?" I said yep.

No, in my opinion you shouldn't give them anything. If it makes you feel better, go ahead. Telling the guy that the TS was hiring was the right response, IMO. Usually I just tell them, "sorry, can't help you today"

I make alot of downtown deliveries around 4-5am. Man, it gets old being bothered so much, especially when I'm BUSY WORKING. Lucky I haven't had my azz whipped or worse I guess. The older I get, the less patience I have with it.

Over time you will see how many claim to be stranded and needing travel money, almost all of them.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have given money to people over the years. I suppose I am just a sucker for a sad sob story. On my last run to Brunswick, GA, I stopped for the night at an independent truck stop next to a Pilot on I-16. A woman knocked on my door wanting a ride or money for a ride. She seemed clean cut, but I didn't feel right about it. When I told her no, she disappeared. I have never seen someone disappear so quickly. The next day I was at the Flying J just south of Brunswick on I-95 and was approached by a guy who claimed to be a soldier. He claimed that he needed money to get back to his base. He said that he got taken by some woman. I decided that if that was the case, it wasn't up to be to enable him to be stupid. I noticed later that someone had pulled the wires from the strobe light on my tractor. I use the strobe when I pull some over-sized loads. My guess is that it was either the woman needing a ride or the soldier. I am not sure this guy really was a soldier. I have gotten to the point that I won't help someone unless I feel that they really need help. I once had a guy approach me who said that he and his family were in trouble and needed gas money. While I didn't give them money, I filled up their car with gas. I never mind helping someone whom I feel really needs help, but hate to just give money to someone who is running a scam. It is sometimes difficult to tell the difference.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I pulled in for fuel yesterday and did a walk around and one of my trailer tires was just about flat. I got my tire gage out and it had 20 pounds in it. I was lucky to be able to fill it back up and it's still OK this morning. Not sure what could have caused that. A couple of my other tires could use some air but I can't get the hose onto some of the inside tires so that's it. I'm buying those Cats Eyes for every double set of tires. What a pain in the butt trying to get the cap off those inside tires.
It could either be a valve stem or more likely the gasket around the valve, unless you have something in your tire. They get dry rotted after a while. I usually replace mine when I get new tires. Valve stems are probably the number one reason tires lose air.

Quote:
What a pain TN is GMAN. Just one freaking hill after another. I'm glad I knew someone who lives there so I could hold them personally responsible. It's OK, I've forgiven you. I mean, GEEZE, 45mph up one big ass hill then on the brakes down the other side.
Yep, it is all my fault about the hills. :roll: Those hills on I-40 are especially fun in icy weather. You only have a couple of long grades between Nashville and Knoxville. You would probably enjoy Monteagle. It is between Nashville and Chattanooga on I-24. :P
Old 01-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I'm buying those Cats Eyes for every double set of tires. What a pain in the butt trying to get the cap off those inside tires.
Skip the Cat's Eyes and get the Crossfires. They are much better. I've used both, and the Cat's Eyes had a knack for freezing up in the winter.

http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/index.shtml

Here's a set on eBay that is a really good deal
Closed Thread