User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was in Denver in July a few years back. It was worse than raining. On the CB I picked up the words "touching down" a couple of times. All of a sudden it started hailing golf balls, maybe slightly smaller, maybe. Everybody just stopped. Couldn't see a thing. I got in the bunk because I was afraid that the wind shield was going to get busted out. It was quickly over. I couldn't believe that the road was just covered with ice balls in July. They disappeared really quick. But not so the slight dimpling of the truck that you can see if the light is just right. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I dropped off my stone yesterday and it was a day filled with events for sure. I'm on the highway for a while then my handy GSP tells me to get off and onto a seconday road. It was a real nice ride going through small towns and I could tell this was the start of yuppieville for sure.

I passed so many signs with so much written on them I couldn't drive and read them all at the same time but one figure stood out that I couldn't stop thinking about, 60,000 pounds.

Now I realize I'm heading right through the middle of the Tetons and over the top. After leaving town and heading into the Tetons it was one gazzilion dollar log cabin after another. Even the white water rafting cabins were nicer than a Hilton Hotel. Once again, those stupid plastic deer whistles proved themselves again and again. They didn't move for anyone else but when I got within 100 feet they bolted.

Now I'm going up the mountains and these roads are a motorcycle cafe racers wet dream. No side rails and certain death to anyone who veers from the road. Even though I was only doing 30mph is was 2 hands on the wheel steering hard from left to right on this wicked curved road. It was awesome to say the least.

I don't think the first mountain range I went through was the actual Tetons yet. The road levels out and I can see down a long stretch that I'm coming into a small town. All of a sudden my cell phone makes a sound that says I have a voice message. I think I was out of coverage and now it woke up so I pull over to the side of the road. As I'm getting ready to dial my voice mail I see a DOT car screaming up the road and pulls a u-turn and comes up in back of me.

Here comes pizza face. This guy is crusty and looks like Barney Fife. He jumps up on my step and says, what are you doing, filling out your log books? I've been watching you in my binoculars for 15 minutes. I say, YOUR CRAZY, I just got here. I'm getting my voice message. He doesn't say anything then says you know there is a truck inspection right there. I look up and 1/4 mile down the road is a DOT pull off. He says bring your truck down there.

So off I go and pull in. He asks for everything and looks at my log book but the only thing it shows is sleep, pt and a short line showing I started driving 8 hours ago. He asks if I've been driving all this time without a break. I say no, I've taken lots of breaks. He says, then why isn't it marked. I held this back just for this moment (DICK HEAD). I told him all my breaks were less than 15 minutes just long enough to make coffee and head back out. I then told him all my paper work was perfect and so isn't the truck and trailer.

All of a sudden he changes into my best friend and just wants to talk about this and that. He then asks how much do I weigh. I say I'm just under gross. He says you can't go through the pass over 60,000. BINGO, it clicks. He said there is a weight station about 4 miles down the road and the cops are there. If you go they will pull you in and the fine is $550 and they will make you turn around and go all the way around. I thank him and continue down the road into the small town and pull over.

I call the customer which I've been told has 6 masons waiting for this stone. I tell him I'm screwed and I could wait a while until the weigh station is closed possibly or turn around and it would be another 4 hours or so. We decide I have to turn around and I hang up. I wait 10 minutes just sitting and looking at the map and then my phone rings. It's the customer and says one of his workers just called and says he can see you from the shop and he's coming to get you.

I follow him to his shop and they had a brainstorm. I calculate how much each pallet weighs and he takes off enough for me to be 60,000 and I'm off over the pass. I get to the weigh station and explain to the guys what I had just done. They weigh me and I was 57 something.

Off I go into the pass and it was 10 times more curvy than the other part. Here come the signs. 10% grades all the way up and down. Now I know why the limit is 60,000. I don't think I could have held it with any more. It was tough in 5th gear with the jakes on and stabbing every 3 seconds. I discovered if I turn the engine fan on it holds back a little more. I kept checking for smoke.

I finally make it down and into Jackson Hole and follow the directions. It's through a small residential area then into the outskirts of town into the woods. I turn into a dirt road and then into an area right out of Little House on the Prairie. Even the brand new bridge over the little stream must have cost over $100,000 as it was worth a picture in itself. I go through this curvy dirt road for a few miles then into an opening where at least 100 people are working and every possible type of construction equipment was working.

It's someones house being built. It's a log cabin but massive. I have no idea how much but I'm guessing from all the land, people working and the size of the house it's got to be many millions!

I didn't even stop and 2 huge fork lifts are driving towards me and 2 other guys running. I didn't even stop the engine and the 2 guys are taking my chains off and they are taking the stone up to the house. The masons really were waiting for this.

So I'm unloaded and off. I'm now way out of hours and tired and pull into Jackson Hole and this is no place for a truck. The nearest truck stop is 200 miles away so I start driving. The road is once again gorgeous and the scenery is breath taking. The road follows a good size river all the way with tons and tons of places to pull over on the side of the road but I continue on hoping for some place to eat then I will grab one of these spots.

I'm driving along and another truck passes. Hey Western Star, is that Steve from the CAD forum!!!! Yes it is. We talk for a few seconds. Don't know who it is but he will be home in another day and I'll find out.

I keep driving then see a small gas station that has a big dirt parking lot. I pull in and they have hot food and a deli. I eat then get permission to park over night. I look at my speedometer and I've done over 800 miles. I think I drove for a little more than my 11 hours, YA THINK!!!!

I looked at my truck stop directory and I'm maybe 150 miles from Little American on Rt 80 so I'm heading there for the weekend and doing nothing. I figure I have it coming. I did a little over $5,000 for 6 days so I have some time off coming.

If you ever get out this way this is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen and well worth the ride.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:12 AM

Old 04-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
Steve just becareful with those Slabs. Seen them cut cabs in half also. heads ach rake will not stop it.
I have a headboard on my trailer but I still made a wooden headboard with my 4x4's. First time I've done that. I watched some other guy make one using his chains and I did the same.

I've seen people who have a bungee cord strapped to there step on both sides of the cab and finally know what they are for and now have 2 on mine. It's to hold the fuel nozzle in place. I had one fall out a while ago and fuel going all over the place.

I don't have to worry about taking work away from Floored. She's busy hauling diapers at the moment....HAR HAR HAR...I crack me up.

I would like to head back to the IOWA 80 truckstop and buy a storage unit that replaces the cat walk. I've been cramming all my bungee cords in with my chains and other stuff and I have to slam the door shut and hold it while I try and lock it. I could use one of those cat walk units just for all my bungee cords.

Well, one more coffee then off to Little America, my favorite truck stop next to the IOWA 80.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I've been cramming all my bungee cords in with my chains and other stuff and I have to slam the door shut and hold it while I try and lock it. I could use one of those cat walk units just for all my bungee cords.
Hang your bungies under the trailer, inside of the rails. If they're left outside they will walk away at a truck stop but inside and high are safe.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I dropped off my stone yesterday and it was a day filled with events for sure. I'm on the highway for a while then my handy GSP tells me to get off and onto a seconday road. It was a real nice ride going through small towns and I could tell this was the start of yuppieville for sure.
I would never trust the GPS without running the route through the Motor Carriers Atlas beforehand. The GPS is great for knowing where you are but the route should be planned out beforehand so there will be very few surprises.

Quote:
If you ever get out this way this is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen and well worth the ride.
Then you should stay there a few days and really see it. I've hiked in the Tetons and visited Yellowstone twice and it is really magnificent. Something that you can't really appreciate by driving by it. And yeah, Jackson is very much a yuppie town and the area has some of the highest priced land in the states.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I would like to head back to the IOWA 80 truckstop and buy a storage unit that replaces the cat walk. I've been cramming all my bungee cords in with my chains and other stuff and I have to slam the door shut and hold it while I try and lock it. I could use one of those cat walk units just for all my bungee cords.
Steve...could I suggest that you buy a set of chain hangers?? They weigh about 20# each, and can be bolted onto the framerail, just in front of your quarter fenders, on each side. You can put a padlock on them for security. Then those chains can hang around until they are needed, and be out of the way while they do it.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 PM

[quote]I've seen people who have a bungee cord strapped to there step on both sides of the cab and finally know what they are for and now have 2 on mine. It's to hold the fuel nozzle in place. I had one fall out a while ago and fuel going all over the place.
Quote:
Yep, that's what they're for. We've got a few spillers at our work that have the helper straps. About twice a week we have a spill. They're not paying for the fuel though.
If I was paying for the fuel I'd hang on to the nozzle on each side.
Steve
Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 PM

I can't seem to find where to buy those chain hangers. I'll probably have a garage make me some and weld them onto the trailer.

On another note. I learned the importance of having matched tires on your trailer. When I had my steers replaced I had them put on my trailer. They still had LOTS of tread on them. In 3 weeks one of them is completely bald. It was just a little smaller than the one next to it so it was skimming across the ground the whole time. Now I have $220 less in my pocket this morning but I will never forget.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should be able to find those chain hangers at Truckpro or other truck parts store. Some truck dealers carry them.
Closed Thread