User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

On Rt 90 in New York some place taking a break after 300 miles. Doing pretty good and hope to make at least 600 today. I'm trying to make it to that IOWA80 truckstop tomorrow and have some time left over to fool around. Get a haircut, wash my truck and drool over all the goodies in the store.

I had the shop reprogram my jake and they screwed that up. They also made it so the cruise control won't go any higher than 70. What a bunch of boneheads. I was told by the guys at the place where I park my truck to start taking it to a small private shop down the road. Finally, a recommendation close to me. It's on a side street so I never knew it was there.

I'm going to be about 600 miles from the copper mines when I deliver this load so I may try and get a load closer then get a load of copper from TMC to make my way home.

Does anyone know what differences I would see moving my 5th wheel all the way back as opposed to the middle where it is now. I like having the extra space on the cat walk and most of my loads are not heavy enough to be a concern.

Well, break is over and time to hit the road.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
My truck was in the shop for a total of 1/2 an hour and they found a bunch of things worn out already. I've already had 3 wanna be fake mechanics at the truck stops look at my front end and found it to be in perfect shape. Well, it's not. They also put a vibration device on the truck and the drive shaft was out of whack also. They are sending that out to get ground and balanced.

One of the motor mounts is just about gone. I feel that is the major cause of my vibration and shaking.
You just found out the reason why I am against buying used trucks. No matter what GMAN says, it's too much of a crap shoot. I'd rather pay the higher monthly payment, and have a truck that isn't sitting in the shop having parts replaced. Piece of mind is worth a lot (and a kick ass warranty doesn't hurt either).

Buying a truck is a crap shoot whether you buy new or used. Even if you have a new truck with a warranty, that doesn't mean that your truck will be covered. I have been in a situation where repairs have to be paid and then file for reimbursement from the dealer who sold the truck. You may or may not be reimbursed. There are things which will need to be done to any truck. If a driver properly checks out a truck there is no reason to expect that he will need to make a lot of expensive repairs. If the choice is between making a $2,000 truck payment or $500, I will take the cheaper payment every time. It doesn't make good business sense for most new owner operator to go out and buy a new truck. It doesn't make sense to buy new when you can use the down payment required for a new purchase and pay cash for the used truck.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Buying a truck is a crap shoot whether you buy new or used.
You know what? You're right! :shock:

But buying a new truck is less of a crap shoot than buying a used one.

Quote:
Even if you have a new truck with a warranty, that doesn't mean that your truck will be covered.
Sure it will - that's what the warranty is for. It states exactly what components are covered by the warranty. And, you don't have to worry that those components that aren't covered are worn out.

Quote:
I have been in a situation where repairs have to be paid and then file for reimbursement from the dealer who sold the truck. You may or may not be reimbursed.
Reimbursed?

When a new truck is under warranty and a warranty part breaks, there is no reimbursement, because you aren't paying anything.

Quote:
There are things which will need to be done to any truck. If a driver properly checks out a truck there is no reason to expect that he will need to make a lot of expensive repairs. If the choice is between making a $2,000 truck payment or $500, I will take the cheaper payment every time. It doesn't make good business sense for most new owner operator to go out and buy a new truck. It doesn't make sense to buy new when you can use the down payment required for a new purchase and pay cash for the used truck.
You'll end up paying almost the same amount anyway, due to parts wearing out quicker, parts breaking quicker, and having to replace trucks sooner.

Steve has found this very thing out.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Buying a truck is a crap shoot whether you buy new or used. Even if you have a new truck with a warranty, that doesn't mean that your truck will be covered. I have been in a situation where repairs have to be paid and then file for reimbursement from the dealer who sold the truck. You may or may not be reimbursed. There are things which will need to be done to any truck. If a driver properly checks out a truck there is no reason to expect that he will need to make a lot of expensive repairs. If the choice is between making a $2,000 truck payment or $500, I will take the cheaper payment every time. It doesn't make good business sense for most new owner operator to go out and buy a new truck. It doesn't make sense to buy new when you can use the down payment required for a new purchase and pay cash for the used truck.
I'm siding with "G" on this discourse. Especially on the subject of someone being "New" to driving and owning a truck. Steve has had to make repairs to his "Used" truck yes. But..from the things I have seen him post, he still has not approached yet, what he would have had to put up as a down payment for that "New" truck. Summer is fast approaching. Steve's end of his first year is as well. Let's see how he feels at the end of that year, shall we? If he decides he is doing good...in another year...he can go out and buy a "New" truck..if he choses to do so...or he can sell his equipment and walk away if he is disgusted with the whole thing.

I have seen 2007 T-600's with shock problems, that ruined brand new drive tires. Those shocks were not covered by the warranty...neither were the tires. The company that owns those T-600's didn't stop buying KW products ... they fixed the problem in thier own shop's, and kept right on trucking. Same trucks are having problems with the turbo's. Only half of those repairs have been covered by warranty. The terminal where I used to work (quit 1 month ago) has 5 of those 07 T-600's. The company itself has 450. Most of them, not all, are fine as frogs hair.

The used truck that I bought, has 181,000 miles left, from a Million Mile warranty. The engine has 215,000 miles left on a "Re-build" warranty. Most folks know that "Cat" is skimpy with what they cover on warranty repair. Of that MillionMile warranty that the truck has...not much is eligible for replacement...because most of those eligible components have been rebuilt or replaced. I just spent $300 on shocks...put them on myself..with help from a friend whom is a great mechanic. I didn't even try running them thru warranty.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Steve has had to make repairs to his "Used" truck yes. But..from the things I have seen him post, he still has not approached yet, what he would have had to put up as a down payment for that "New" truck.
$15,000 goes pretty quickly when you are repairing a truck.

Quote:
I have seen 2007 T-600's with shock problems, that ruined brand new drive tires. Those shocks were not covered by the warranty...neither were the tires.
I find that hard to believe. I replaced my shocks under warranty on a PACCAR product.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
When a new truck is under warranty and a warranty part breaks, there is no reimbursement, because you aren't paying anything.

Not true! But I've never had problem with reimbursement, just takes some time!
BTW Steve! You sure pick an "expensive" way, on I-90!? :roll:
Old 04-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Rev..Ain't gonna get in a P***ing contest with you. I stated what I know. I've been driving PACCAR products just as long as you, or longer. I also have seen plenty of repairs, that were not covered by warranty. The company where I have my longest tenure...16 years..is a solely PACCAR customer, with a terminal 13 miles from the Renton MFG plant. The company I just left has a terminal 3 miles from the Renton plant. That doesn't mean everything that goes wrong with a "New" truck is warrantied. Maybe you have been lucky..since your trucks don't see the "Stress" that most trucks see?
Moving Household Goods...and them big sleepers those "Mover" trucks have on them...means the cargo weight is far short of what G-man..Steve...Bo & Tootie......or I see every load. I have 48,670 pounds of I-beams sitting on the deck right now...when was the last load you carried, behind that sleeper, that heavy? You know as well as "G" and anyone else with experience, that the driver is 45% of the equation when it comes to truck breakdown. Cargo weight is also 45% of the equation, because with less weight...there is less stress on the parts that break.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Rev..Ain't gonna get in a P***ing contest with you. I stated what I know. I've been driving PACCAR products just as long as you, or longer. I also have seen plenty of repairs, that were not covered by warranty. The company where I have my longest tenure...16 years..is a solely PACCAR customer, with a terminal 13 miles from the Renton MFG plant. The company I just left has a terminal 3 miles from the Renton plant. That doesn't mean everything that goes wrong with a "New" truck is warrantied. Maybe you have been lucky..since your trucks don't see the "Stress" that most trucks see?
Moving Household Goods...and them big sleepers those "Mover" trucks have on them...means the cargo weight is far short of what G-man..Steve...Bo & Tootie......or I see every load. I have 48,670 pounds of I-beams sitting on the deck right now...when was the last load you carried, behind that sleeper, that heavy? You know as well as "G" and anyone else with experience, that the driver is 45% of the equation when it comes to truck breakdown. Cargo weight is also 45% of the equation, because with less weight...there is less stress on the parts that break.
While it's likely that I'm not as heavy as you are on average, I can get up there. It's just that most of my weight is not in freight, but in moving gear.

But weight is weight, no matter what it is.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Steve has found this very thing out.
No, I have not, I do not agree with you. My repairs have been minor and 99% have been elective. I'm still far better off than if I would have bought new.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
BTW Steve! You sure pick an "expensive" way, on I-90!? :roll:
Ya, I know but I hate NY so much this is the nicest way to go plus I always get paid pretty good hauling these cranes.
Closed Thread