User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Even if he made $1250 like you calculated it's still more than a rookie company driver would have got. BTW...I think his truck was 45k, not 75
Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Board Regular

No, he wants to run I-80 to I-15 and down. That way he can revisit his favorite Flying J. Right Steve? :wink: :lol:
Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
Steve said his invoices were over 10k, not 10k. His truck didn't cost 75k. It was around 45K and trailer was about 18k not 25k. He doesn't have to buy chains every trip. Even if he made 1250 like you calculated it's still more than a rookie company driver would have got.
Comparing an owner operator to a company driver is like comparing a the owner of a family restaurant to a McDonalds line worker.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Way to go Steve, nice job. Always nice to see people making money for themselves. I was starting to wonder if you had the cajones to go through with it and sure enough you did.

Quote:
Comparing an owner operator to a company driver is like comparing a the owner of a family restaurant to a McDonalds line worker.
I don't know, look at it this way......Steve, in his first three weeks has started to put HIS name and reputation for good business (hopefully)out there and making contacts. Also made about 1250.00 per week. Multiply that by 45 weeks....about 56M ( 8) that's for G). For a first year business that's not bad. This is all assuming he doesn't get any better than his first three weeks.

What does a company driver have after a year? His paycheck which would be less than 56 thousand. Provided he did his job the best he could he still only makes his company look good.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

TF Motors wrote:
Quote:
Try and get to a In - N- Out Burger when you get in SoCal.
NOW you're talkin....back in my SoCal / bicycle racing days 5 or 6 of us roadies would end a training ride at one of those. I tell ya...we'd go thru there like Sherman went thru Georgia.... A double/double, two orders of fries and a shake...now that sticks with ya a while.

Off topic, but tasty memories...
Old 12-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
I don't know, look at it this way......Steve, in his first three weeks has started to put HIS name and reputation for good business (hopefully)out there and making contacts. Also made about 1250.00 per week. Multiply that by 45 weeks....about 56M ( 8) that's for G). For a first year business that's not bad. This is all assuming he doesn't get any better than his first three weeks.
That is also assuming that it doesn't get any worse.

[/quote]What does a company driver have after a year? His paycheck which would be less than 56 thousand. Provided he did his job the best he could he still only makes his company look good.[/quote]

He still has to pay taxes on that money, as nothing has been paid, unlike a company driver. :wink:
Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
No, he wants to run I-80 to I-15 and down. That way he can revisit his favorite Flying J. Right Steve? :wink: :lol:
I don't think so. lol I think I'll try that southern route as suggested above. Sounds like a nice ride and something different this time.

I forgot to post above but my truck has been getting between 6.2 and 6.4 MPG except for that short run over the mountain from Hell and that ended up being 5.2. I idled the truck all night also when it was -14.

My heating bill was $80 this past month instead of $300. There is a note on my bill asking if something is malfunctioning in my house. Ya right, like they really give a crap about me!! My gas bill for my car went from $350 to $45 and no weekly $200 food bill (I like to cook).

Not looking forward to tarping the crane tomorrow. So many odd shapes. I'll chain it up like before but I'll use all 15 of my straps to hold it down this time. I didn't spread the straps out last time so I couldn't slide them once the chains were in place.

I'll probably stay out for 3 weeks like I did before and then spend a week at home. I need to also run through a good hard rain. I still have red dirt stuck on my truck and trailer frame from running through New Mexico.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Board Regular

Alrighty then Steve, but I will warn you about the T/S with the Burger King in it on the north side of I-40 in Holbrook, AZ. I believe it's exit 292. It'll make that Flying J in Rock Springs seem like a Hyatt. :lol: Although they have been fixing it up some, so it may not be as dumpy as it was when I started driving. Last time I was there they had repaved the parking lot. :shock:
Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
Alrighty then Steve, but I will warn you about the T/S with the Burger King in it on the north side of I-40 in Holbrook, AZ. I believe it's exit 292. It'll make that Flying J in Rock Springs seem like a Hyatt. :lol: Although they have been fixing it up some, so it may not be as dumpy as it was when I started driving. Last time I was there they had repaved the parking lot. :shock:
No more dirt there, but the bathrooms sure leave alot to be desired. Not that they aren't big and nice, just the clean part seems to be lacking :sad:
Old 12-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Board Regular

Awww...you ruined the 'surprise' for him. Whatever you do, don't mention that they get their store help from the local morgue. :wink: