User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

OMG I haven't laughed so hard in ages! I was literally in tears. :lol:

Your story reminds me of when I first started driving with Arrow Trucking right out of school a few years ago. It's a lot of hard work doing flatbed and I've got to hand it to you for taking the bull by the horns and going for it. Jumping in with both feet in flatbed as an independent O/O with your own authority and no experience! DAMN that takes a set! I salute you and wish you nothing but continued success.

Based on what you said in your story, you spent the night in my hometown of Rock Springs, WY and yes the Flying J there is a dump at best. Next time I suggest you continue west on I-80 to exit 99 and stay at Cruel Jacks. Good food there and two decent steak houses, Ted's and The Log Inn, bordering the property. :wink:

I'm not sure, but it looks like you have a pic of the Flaming Gorge Dam and a few of the reservoir . Gotta love that road to Vernal in a BIG truck eh? :lol:

I've always wanted to try my hand at being an O/O and have been considering buying a truck and leasing it on with Crete, but keep chickening out. Reading your story makes me want to just go for it like you did. No balls, no blue chips! :lol:

Thanks for the story. It was full of laughs and smiles as I read it. Hell, I'm still grinning and chuckling.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Yes, it was Rock Springs Flying J, I just went through my receipts. You are also correct on Flaming Gorge Dam. I stopped there for an hour or so because it was soooooo nice. That road to Vernal made my whole trip worth it. It was great scenery, wild horses and the views were awesome. It was also probably the best first experience for using my Jake's. It was a 9% grade but most of the time it was straight down and a good road so I got my chance before I hit all those switchbacks later on down the road.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Board Regular

I just noticed your reply and was thinking about your comments on chaining and wanted to give you a tip that will help you with chaining. Carry a couple one to two foot long 4X4's on your truck with you. When you need to chain up, place them behind the inside drive tires and back onto them. This will raise your outside tires up off the ground and you will be able to simply drape your chains over the tires and connect them. :wink:
Old 12-18-2006, 11:16 AM

That's interesting. I do in fact carry 8 4x4x8 beams but my chains are the double ones that go around 2 tires at once.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Board Regular

definately got balls

nice job

good luck to you
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Good job. I was hoping you'd be posting about your trip. Cool pics.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger
Hmm... running chains at 40 mph? I thought the max was 30 or 25? Using the Jake at full power down a snowed over road - I thought you weren't supposed to use the Jake at all (or maybe on low if you're brave) when the road is slippery? Anyways great story - keep 'em coming. I have a similar background to you and have been driving for a couple years now as a company driver mostly local in New England. Good Luck!
A lot depends on the quality of your chains and if they are on tight.

I was told that you can do 35-40mph with quality chains by one of the veteran drivers at my terminal here in Reno.

Part of my bid is to maintain the chain inventory for our shop. Some of our good chains have lasted 15+ years (they say"Made in W. Germany")

You can use the Jake in winter at lower speeds you just have to be VERY aware that it can make you jackknife, especially when you have doubles.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Steve,

I assume you never dealt with any of those brokers before and they made your insurance company provide proof of liability and cargo before you could take the load. How did you get your ins. co to do that so quick? Markell always makes me wait a couple of days at least. I think they are ready to cancel my policy because I've signed up with so many brokers.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:32 PM

Thanks all for the well wishes.

I was in hard packed snow with probably 3 or 4 inches on the ground and going up hill when I was doing my fastest. I was keeping pace with either a FedEx or UPS truck at the time. Boy, does it feel good having those chains on!!! I wish I had them going up that wicked mountain I talked about before.

My insurance company faxes out my insurance on the spot when I call. The only problem is they don't work on the weekends but the brokers have taken a faxed copy of my insurance that I sent them and give me the load but still want to be named as insured when my agent comes in on Monday. When I had Progressive they fax on the spot with there computer the instant you give them a phone number.

Using the Jake when it was slippery out I had my finger on the button the whole time. When I was carrying a light load I didn't use it at all.

I just got the word and leave from New Hampshire to Carlsbad CA on Wed for a 3,000 mile trip at $1.60 per mile. 20,000 pounds. I'll probably stop at that Iowa 80 truck stop again. It has to be the biggest truck store in the world and pretty nice too. I'll get my truck washed there, they do a great job.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Board Regular

I really hope you're trying to negotiate rates. I would try to get in the $2.00 a mile range for a trip like that. Frieght in California isn't that great half the time, coupled with fuel out west, and you're going to need a little more to make up the difference. Are you asking for a fuel surcharge, or are they saying it's included in the rate?
Closed Thread