Old 01-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona
You can learn a lot by reading up on it and asking questions, I think Steve is doing well for a compujockey morphed into a truck driver.
Yes you can... lets just hope he doesn't decide to read a book on how to fly an airplane. :wink:

As far as doing well... lets see... everything he owns is paid for, he obviously has a rather large nest egg to fall back on, he got insured for less than half the amount he should have (and lets not even mention the fact he has no mileage limit... absolutely unheard of for someone with zero experience). Yea... it would be damn near impossible for him to fail!

Look Steve I think its great you were able to do so... we all wish we could... but dont come on here bragging on how you "defeated all odds" and made it. :roll:
You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat??? From Steve's posts he always said he was going slower than the rest of the other trucks, I even thought too slow, but that's just me! Living on the east coast like Steve does he has had quite a few years with winter driving, maybe not in a truck, but winter driving anyway!! No one on this board had any experience with ice or snow in a truck the first time they encountered it while they were behind the wheel. You get what I mean? Steve has used caution through the back roads of CO in a very wintry mix and came out smelling like a rose, GOOD BOY STEVE!!!! Some of you guys need to leave it alone, just because Steve had the money to live his dream and you didn't, its not his fault. Steve is going to make mistakes in business and the driving part, so what, it happens to everyone!! but you read his posts and he learns from them. Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
I'm driving along and there's like a small road to my right and there's this truck driver just standing there looking down at the ground and not moving. I could see the tracks where he came down the big hill and was now at the bottom. Poor thing probably doesn't know what to do. Like horses, deer, goats and other animals like them they are very communal and need an alpha Steve to lead.
:lol:

Rank, that's pretty funny!!! LOL

And speaking of Steve....our super hero, where is he????

Someone sent me a P/M, and I cant say how true this is....

Said they thought they might have seen him at a Petco standing on the front bumper of his truck giving a lecture to an awe struck audience of HUNDRED'S of less worthy truckers!!!!!
And something about they all were on one knee with head's bowed! LOL

Be good, Jim
OMG that's good. And now I shall end the day with that mental image.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw

You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol
I hardly consider myself "Old and gray" at a measley 31 years old. :roll:

I doubt anyone here is jealous of Steve. After all, he IS driving a Freightliner product. :lol:
Quote:
Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat???
That is called TEACHING and LEARNING, something many of the coolie carriers don't do, and something Steve won't learn off a message board (assuming he actually listened)
Quote:
Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...
Steve's been doing this for what - a month now? How does someone "succeed" at operating a business after a month? :roll: He hasn't done ANYTHING yet, other than buy a truck and a trailer, and throw some cheap freight on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82

We do what Steve has demonstrated. Take your time, do not rush, that's when mistakes happen, ask questions, don't feel like a bonehead if you don't know something, use common sense above all, and be safe.
Herein lies Steve's problem. He DID come here asking questions, and when the answers weren't what he was looking for, and he was told that he was wrong, he developed an attitude about it. Even when those answers were shown to be wrong with FMCSA documentation, he still continued to snub his nose at it.

Look back to some of his earliest posts, particularily about maintaining records (specifically drug and alcohol testing). Steve thought he was special and didn't need to keep drug and alcohol records, and even when he was shown the DOT regs that said he did, he maintained that he knew better.

The same holds true for his homemade log book that he wanted to run. When he was shown that his log book that he made up didn't have all the information that was required by the FMCSA, he maintained that he knew better, and could make a better logbook than JJ Keller. :roll:

From there, it just snowballed downhill.
I don't see as how being stubborn and not taking all advice is any different than most people starting out? Most people think they know it all at first until they find out they don't. As far as the logbook and drug stuff, big deal, its small potatoes and he will learn. None of this will make him a danger to anyone on the road. What I would have done was let him think what he wanted, and then the I told you so's would be in order later on, Then you would be able to help more. Its just me but the snide remarks help no one at all. My dad always said to me that I would remember the things he tried to teach me, and I would come back to him knowing he was right!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Board Icon

I don't care enough to say "I told you so" to Steve.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol
I hardly consider myself "Old and gray" at a measley 31 years old. :roll:

I doubt anyone here is jealous of Steve. After all, he IS driving a Freightliner product. :lol:
Quote:
Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat???
That is called TEACHING and LEARNING, something many of the coolie carriers don't do, and something Steve won't learn off a message board (assuming he actually listened)
Quote:
Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...
Steve's been doing this for what - a month now? How does someone "succeed" at operating a business after a month? :roll: He hasn't done ANYTHING yet, other than buy a truck and a trailer, and throw some cheap freight on it.
I don't think anyone would ever be able to do the right thing by you. Your posts always sound so condescending. Now mind you this is just my opinion. I have spent almost the same amount of years over the road as you are old, and I read your posts and wonder where you get all this wisdom. When you post back you sound a lot like what you say Steve sounds, remember this is my opinion. You know some people might think you are some kind of CAD god or something, but I'm from the old school and believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see. What do you call cheap freight, and how can anyone here on this board know if you really don't do the same thing. Its useless, to many Prima donnas here...lol
Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't think anyone would ever be able to do the right thing by you. Your posts always sound so condescending. Now mind you this is just my opinion. I have spent almost the same amount of years over the road as you are old, and I read your posts and wonder where you get all this wisdom. When you post back you sound a lot like what you say Steve sounds, remember this is my opinion. You know some people might think you are some kind of CAD god or something, but I'm from the old school and believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see. What do you call cheap freight, and how can anyone here on this board know if you really don't do the same thing. Its useless, to many Prima donnas here...lol
nods head in agreement

Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't compare driving a truck to flying an airplane, and if somebody wants to brag, it would seem to me that its their right.
If people don't like to read about bragging, then do what I do, and ignore the post,...and move on.

Steve was able to accomplish something that many people fail at long before this stage in the game for him.
I was a lot like him with the exception that I drove during a crummy training period, and then quit (after 8 weeks),...took a 5 year break, and then did exactly what Steve has done. That was 2 years ago, and all is still well.

I like to read his posts, he is doing a good job translating his adventures onto a forum.
Keep it up Steve, you arrogant ba#$@rd :wink:
Aint that the truth. How can anyone even TRY to put him down for going into certain areas w/ only certain experience, that they say isn't enough. GIVE ME A BREAK. There are all kindsa companies that take a young kid and dispatch him into ANY and ALL situations with the same experience as Steve had by the time he got to CO. Crazy, drug taking kids who don't have a clue, are dispatched w/out discrimination on to any load going anywhere EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. (Sure. He has been w/ a "trainer" for a few weeks, who is more often than not some joke.) But when a responsible guy, w/ his own equipment to protect and all kinds of life experience and normal IQ etc etc goes out to drive it is evil and bad. Steve more than likely has figured out, like you did 2 years ago Arizona, that driving is not reserved for some really special people who have tons of experience. Like I pointed out above, this is disproven everyday all across America by MANY big companies.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Sonny Pruitt"]so far he does not know how to secure a load,

What highway did the load fall onto?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Quote:
You can learn a lot by reading up on it and asking questions, I think Steve is doing well for a compujockey morphed into a truck driver.
Yes you can... lets just hope he doesn't decide to read a book on how to fly an airplane. :wink:

As far as doing well... lets see... everything he owns is paid for, he obviously has a rather large nest egg to fall back on, he got insured for less than half the amount he should have (and lets not even mention the fact he has no mileage limit... absolutely unheard of for someone with zero experience). Yea... it would be damn near impossible for him to fail!

Look Steve I think its great you were able to do so... we all wish we could... but dont come on here bragging on how you "defeated all odds" and made it. :roll:
You know, I have been sitting back and watching all the BS, and I have come to the conclusion that the bashers are jealous, this is just my 2 cents. I watch all the posts where new drivers ask the almighty question on how they should become a O/O? All the gods come out and told them to stay away from the lease purchases, and to save their money to buy the truck on their own, this way when sh@t happens their operating costs are lower and they will survive the slow times. Steve comes into the picture and already has the money, and is obviously not a younger man and takes the plunge. It pisses off most on here because he didn't wait till he was old and gray and had 20 yrs otr like alot do....lol Tell me how does a new driver ever learn the winter business with out doing it?? How does sitting in the dummy seat on ice and snow covered roads get him any experience? How can a trainer stop a screw up that a trainee makes on the same ice and snow covered road from the same dummy seat??? From Steve's posts he always said he was going slower than the rest of the other trucks, I even thought too slow, but that's just me! Living on the east coast like Steve does he has had quite a few years with winter driving, maybe not in a truck, but winter driving anyway!! No one on this board had any experience with ice or snow in a truck the first time they encountered it while they were behind the wheel. You get what I mean? Steve has used caution through the back roads of CO in a very wintry mix and came out smelling like a rose, GOOD BOY STEVE!!!! Some of you guys need to leave it alone, just because Steve had the money to live his dream and you didn't, its not his fault. Steve is going to make mistakes in business and the driving part, so what, it happens to everyone!! but you read his posts and he learns from them. Don't get mad at Steve because he can make more business mistakes than you guys with a truck payment, he has worked and saved and this will ensure more success than the normal JOE with the 1500 to 2k truck payment a month! Most people are jealous when someone is doing better than them or has more than they do, so they cast doubt so they don't feel so small...lol STEVE, look, learn, and listen and keep up the good work...

Fellow O/Os and Professional Drivers may I present ( drum roll please ).... The new President of the Steve Booth Fan Club... SSOUTHSLAW !!!!!!!!!!!!

I always enjoy ssouthslaws pearls of wisdom or lack thereof... :roll: :roll:
Closed Thread