User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've used regular unleded gas in my diesel intead of these Howes lubricants or whatnot...works like a charm.

My dad drove a semi in Europe and they used to run Siberia, Russia and some of the places which have the lowest temperature in the world, they always used mixture of gas and diesel in trying to prevent gelling and freezing over...i remember they had exaust system running through the tanks, i means thru the tanks trying to keep diesel from freezing...you tell that to any mechanic here and they'll probably call you nuts.

I guess thats why everything is so expensive here..
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You may want to take it to someone and have them connect to your CPU.
Well, it's not turning any dash lights on so I don't think I'll worry much about it unless it gets worse. I do want to print out the ECM info one of these days anyways to figure out why this motor puts out way more power than it should. It started out life as a 11.1L 325/350hp but it pulls like a 410hp Cat we have :shock: , maybe 12.7L injector installed? It also seems to have a GM MAP sensor instead to what was stock - I read that will greatly reduce the turbo lag in the pre 2002 60 series motors and this guy sure doesn't have any lag now! If anyone wants to give it a try the GM part number is 12223861 and you can get one from eBay for about $60 delivered (used also for high boost modified gasoline engines). This is a high boost sensor that measures up to 28 psi boost as opposed to a standard non-turbo vacuum sensor or a standard turbo boost 14 psi sensor. The sensor is form and plug compatable so it is just a five minute install 8) .
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger
What about using 2-stroke motor oil? I would think it would be ideal as a lubricant as it is designed to burn cleanly and it also has great cleaning properties. You can get a gallon for just over 8 bucks at WallyWorld and maybe use a pint per tank like the transmission fluid?
I've heard of guys doing this, and a few months back, I had an opportunity to speak with someone in the fuel industry (on the development side) about this very thing, and they told me that the new diesel acts as a "solvent", and if you are adding things like 2 stroke oil to your fuel, it will cause your fuel filters to gunk up. I've already heard stories about fuel filters going bad from the new fuel - that is from the fuel stripping the residue out of the fuel tank. Add some oil to the tank - add brand new residue for the fuel to strip off.

If oil, ATF, Cascade, etc. were meant to be used for the fuel system or injectors, they would be marketed as such. Just because someone "never had a problem", doesn't mean they won't in the future.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Board Regular

I can believe that the new fuel will strip the crap from the tank walls that was glued on with fuel varnish over the years and that might be enough to clog the filter but oil will mix with diesel fuel, which is just a very light oil itself. I can't believe added oil will cause a buildup of sticky stuff on the tank walls that will last long enough to trap enough crap to cause a problem. The crap in the tank takes months or years to build up enough to cause a problem when released all at once and it sounds like this new fuel will continuously clean the tank, no? Frankly I used to work as an engineer myself and I can tell you from personal experience that over half of engineers are idiots :shock: . Anyways I threw in a pint of WallyWorld 2-stroke oil in each tank midday today just for yucks and I'll let you all know if it causes bad ju-ju and my cat goes bald or some other such nonsense :lol: . My motor was acting up this morning (see previous post) and seemed to be fine after adding the snake oil - but I was running empty (and cooler) at that point so it could still act up tomorrow when I get back up to the 175 degree range. Empty I'm more like 160 degrees and I've only seen it act up when warmer than that after a hard pull.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
I can believe that the new fuel will strip the crap from the tank walls that was glued on with fuel varnish over the years and that might be enough to clog the filter but oil will mix with diesel fuel, which is just a very light oil itself.
It isn't the oil that is the problem, it is the ADDITIVES in the oil.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
It isn't the oil that is the problem, it is the ADDITIVES in the oil.
Well, I suppose incompatable additives from the fuel and oil could form some kind of goop. Seems unlikely to me - but I suppose one could mix up some of one's favorite snake oil and the new brew fuel and see what it does over a few days? Since 2-stroke oil is made to mix with fuel and burn cleanly I'm not worried about it 8) . My cat still has all his hair this morning :lol: - but made an interesting noise when my wife accidently stepped on him :wink: .
Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Since 2-stroke oil is made to mix with fuel and burn cleanly I'm not worried about it 8) .
Actually, it is made to burn with gasoline and a spark plug, which creates a higher temperature than a diesel engine.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Board Regular
Default Try this.....

Walk up to your favorite/best diesel tech you can find and ask him what he would use???

They see hundreds of trucks a year and should be able to provide the proper answer.

Putting stuff in your fuel tanks just because someone "thinks" it might work is both scary and stupid.

Be good, Jim

Never argue with idiot's....first they drag you down to their level.... then they beat you with experience!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Try this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Walk up to your favorite/best diesel tech you can find and ask him what he would use???
I'm still looking for one that doesn't suck :sad: - plus, the ones I've talked to are as much into voodoo and snake oil as the typical driver :shock: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
Putting stuff in your fuel tanks just because someone "thinks" it might work is both scary and stupid.
Gee, where is your sense of adventure? :lol: So, I think I'll brew up some real super stuff - Used motor oil and antifreeze, 2-stroke oil, Cascade, Dextron 007 transmission fluid, Gatorade, Red Bull and a trucker bomb or two mixed in random proportions outta do it? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 12-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Board Regular

Gee, where is your sense of adventure? So, I think I'll brew up some real super stuff - Used motor oil and antifreeze, 2-stroke oil, Cascade, Dextron 007 transmission fluid, Gatorade, Red Bull and a trucker bomb or two mixed in random proportions outta do it?

LOL-----well, in that case don't forget......

Lacquer thinner, kerosene, gasoline...added to eng. oil to get the inside of the engine clean...

Comet dish cleaner down the intake...to get the rings to seal up.

Banannas in the rear axle to quiet the gears down.....by the way, peel and all went in....

Mineral spirits in the fuel tank to clean the system...

All of the above, I have seen used....

Be good, Jim

Never argue with idiot's....first they drag you down to their level.... then they beat you with experience!!!!