User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default frustrated wife of owner operator

It seems to be going well for alot of you on here operating under your own authority, so what are we doing wrong? We have until the end of the month to pay our mortgage or we are losing our house. I haven't paid any bills for 2 months because of this new endeavor my husband decided would make us better off. It's alot of strain on our marriage and we have children to think about. I had him selling the truck yesterday but with what he will be getting paid as a company driver, we would never survive that way either. It's a lose/lose at this point. One more major thing happens to the truck, we lose pretty much everything. What are we doing wrong, we have to be doing something wrong?

Thanks for any input
Sharbear
Old 10-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Ok, I'll start it off. First let me say I'm sorry!!

I just checked 2 load boards and there seems to be plenty of freight to move with a lot at $1.60 per mile and up from your area. What are you having trouble with? Finding loads, truck breaking down or just bad rates?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: frustrated wife of owner operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbear36
It seems to be going well for alot of you on here operating under your own authority, so what are we doing wrong?

I had him selling the truck yesterday but with what he will be getting paid as a company driver, we would never survive that way either. It's a lose/lose at this point. One more major thing happens to the truck, we lose pretty much everything. What are we doing wrong, we have to be doing something wrong?
First, let me say, i'm sorry, about the whole situation! :sad:

But, i believe, you call it on yourself! Since you didn't give to much info, i'd just guess! :roll:
You jumped in that deal, w/o being ready, cause somebody said, that's the way to go!
You didn't have any cash reserves, and knowledge about business.
At best...he knew, how to drive a truck.
Once again, i'm just guessing, so please take no offence.

One other thing! You are saying, that you couldn't survive, on a company driver wages...
Good driver, with the good company, making 50-60 grand a year, with benefits. That probably more "net", than 70%, of o/o ever see.
And should be enough to live reasonably well , in your area.
May be you should look at your spending... :roll:

Like i've said, you didn't give enough info, but i'd sell that truck ASAP, if you can...!
Old 10-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Sharbear:
Quote:
...with what he will be getting paid as a company driver, we would never survive that way either....
Han Solo:
Quote:
...One other thing! You are saying, that you couldn't survive, on a company driver wages...
Good driver, with the good company, making 50-60 grand a year, with benefits.
Hey, Sharbear. Tough, I understand tough. I agree with Solo, this really isn't about truck ownership. Can't survive off a company driver's wages!? There are other more important issues here than just truck ownership. We can talk about the latter, that's what we do here. We can also talk about ambitions and all. But, something got you to this crisis and it wasn't simply truck ownership. If you have to get back out of it you might try it again at a later date. Lots of us have done other things and this has proven to be a nice, solid way to make a living even if it isn't fllled with all the status and show of some other professions.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Rookie

Hi all,

I know that I wasn't very specific so let me go into a little detail. My husband has been driving truck since he was 18 and is now 41. For the last 6-7 years he has been driving leased onto a company as an owner operator making very good money but he wanted to do it under his own authority. YOUR RIGHT, he did it all wrong, they didn't have a nest egg to start with and that's where the problems started. Especially when they started when the fuel rates were ridiculous. The reason we can't go to a company is because our finances were that of when he was an operator leased on. We became very comfortable with that income, not really beyond our means but then you have to add in back taxes. Yes, we have done things the wrong way and we were finally getting those taxes taken care of until the own authority came about. I believe that he does have some good brokers that he can call but he always seems to have trouble on the backhauls. No matter where he seems to go, there isn't something coming back to where he needs to be to pick up the next load. He is going from west chicago to bedfordheights, OH and getting $775 but then he might take a load from CH Robinson back for $450. Seems ok? However, there have been repairs and then you add in the fuel and I'm not sure those are the loads to be taking. I have searched the internet high and low yesterday and tried to build new relationships with brokers to have more than 5 or 6 options because we have to save the house. I'm just not sure what we are doing wrong, I know there is money to be made this way.

Thank you for reading and giving any advice you may have, I do appreciate it
Old 10-07-2006, 04:47 PM

JMO - he may have top stay out and run more - don't look for an out and back but runs into higher freight areas. Sucks I know but a few weeks on teh road running the better paying runs until he finds one with more $$ home or you can afford a little hit on the return trip.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
JMO - he may have top stay out and run more - don't look for an out and back but runs into higher freight areas. Sucks I know but a few weeks on teh road running the better paying runs until he finds one with more $$ home or you can afford a little hit on the return trip.
Good thinking! 8)

When you did get those "own #", you've sold your soul, and home life!
At least until you'll get establish, and could find your way around that.
Till than, truck goes where the money is...
But you should consider an outbound freight rates, or possible DH, as well.

The rates you've posted, didn't seems to be that bad, depending on equipment, he's pulling, tho, i'm quiet certain, he should be able to get another hundred, or two, from Cleveland area.

The problem, i see with this runs, it's gives you low gross, and low per day income.

Did he ever consider, going back "leased", since you are saying he was doing great?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Rookie

Well lets just say that he "burned that bridge". Everything got alittle heated when he left.

I guess I have to find better loads for him. Is it better to use the load boards that have all companies or use the companies directly or I suppose both.

Alot of time what happens when we call for the loads they are already gone, it happens quite often, I'm not sure if locking loads in the beginning of the week is best or day by day? There has to be some little link we are missing. I know that this can work, we are just learning as we go along and should have been more educated first but my hubby doesn't always do everything in the right order...lol.

Sharbear
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You're in a Good Freight Lane in Milwaukee with some very good paying Loads.
I don't understand-You're finding the Loads but you're the One angry about the Pay he's Bringing In?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

no no no, I didn't start finding him loads yet......he's been doing it thus far. I'm not angry about the money he's bringing in I'm concerned about how this all works to make it most productive. That's all. So far, it's hasn't been so great and I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do to make it better from other truckers that are doing well out there.

Sharbear