User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Running the solely off load boards can be frustrating but can certainly be done for a solo from your area. Try to start off with something longer out of WI. I don't have a problem finding 1.80-2.00 a mile out of there generally. If you can find a nice 1200-1500 mile load to start with then chase the best rate once he's there you will be able to pump up your gross and bring in some more cash. When your in the situation your in, hometime has to take a backseat for awhile. Get that cashflow up even if you don't see him until the holidays. Or find a way to trim your lifestyle and go back to a less stressful situation.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Rookie

We have both decided that he will probably spend alot of time on the road and thats not a problem since we are pretty much used to him being home on the weekends. Since nobody has really said any names of any bigger companies in Wisconsin, I'm assuming we can't say? I just think that maybe we are not finding the right ones to drive for. Like I said before, I don't think the load from West Chicago is good per mile but again it's $775 and not in the $1000's where I think we need to be at this point. Those backhauls are I think the problem, I don't understand why they pay more and why we have such a hard time getting out of Oh, I see the loads too but either they don't pay well or their gone when we call. Baffling

Sharbear
Old 10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbear36
Those backhauls are I think the problem
That's probably your problem right there. Remove that word from your vocabulary. Every trip should be considered the same, no matter where it is going.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Ok, let me go down one other road. Is there a site out there somewhere that will tell you what a truck is worth? We are thinking that this is just not going to work, yes we are flip flopping but if your in the place that we are, it's difficult because one more repair that we can't afford and the truck is done and we have nothing for a back up plan then. I have no idea what to do, sorry to vent to all of you

Sharbear
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Rookie
Default another wife of owner/operator

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation.

As I see it, the trucking industry, as a whole, is a very difficult racket. The companies' cheat the driver, and put him in an impossible situation, in many cases, when they let him sit around twiddling his thumbs waiting for a load...the shipper makes money, the company makes money, but the driver gets screwed. His time isn't paid for and his idling fuel is never repaid. Then he gets a 45,000 lb load over the mountains...etc. etc.

I could go on and on, but you know what the other gripes are, so I won't waste your time.....My best recommendation is for him to go back on as a leased driver (taking the best deal he can find). Take some time to get both of you back on your feet. Watch your budget. (although I'm sure you are) and then save a nest egg for going under your own authority.

Going under your own authority is a BIG step....you need around 3-4 months of your total "bill outgo" saved BEFORE you jump into that BIG step. Remember...this is a BUSINESS....do the company statements yourself....you'll be able to keep an "eye" on expenses. Use a tax accountant at the end of the year to complete your taxes.

You can make a fairly good living being company leased if you plan ahead, and really cut your spending to the bone. Call hubby often and encourage the "hell" out of him. Be strong, Be his SUPPORT!!! Suck it up and get tough!

God speed....to you both.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Ok, let me go down one other road. Is there a site out there somewhere that will tell you what a truck is worth? We are thinking that this is just not going to work, yes we are flip flopping but if your in the place that we are, it's difficult because one more repair that we can't afford and the truck is done and we have nothing for a back up plan then. I have no idea what to do, sorry to vent to all of you

Sharbear
Nothing wrong with Venting-Just be Selective on your Loads-YOU determine what you'll haul for and don't Deviate unless it's a Load going to where you have confirmed a Good Paying Load.

Have you talked to other O/O's around Holy Hill or Sturtevant?
Loads going to the East Coast out of your area pay the Best.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Board Icon

Quote:

Sharbear
http://www.trucks.com/services_blackbook.asp

$4 per valuation
Old 10-08-2006, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

stop with these short runs, illinios to ohio? what kinda crap is that, not to mention the tolls.

i`m sorry for your situation but I believe he can dig himself out.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I am sorry to hear about your situation. The best way to get an idea what your truck is worth is to go to truckpaper.com and see what other trucks like yours are going for...

Might I suggest that what the other drivers have mentioned is on the mark and forget the backhaul. Look at each load you find on the loadboards and try to keep them in the freight lanes. Just take each load and let the freight be your guide. You should be able to setup for the next load before you have delivered the load your under. You may have to go round about to get back home, but you should be able to pickup some good loads and stay busy and make some good money.

Like the others mentioned you will have to run hard and stay out for a while. Trucking is a business, and like any business one of the biggest pitfalls is under capitalization to support your business in the early stages. I hope you can find a way to get through these initial stages to see some of the fruit of your labor. BOL

Longsnowsm
Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 AM

Not sure if this is a possibility, being you have limited broker contacts but... There is a damn lot of LTL freight coming out of the Chicago/Milwaukee areas. Sometimes you can book two or three partials and build a load worth some serious bucks. My last employer used to do that pretty consistantly, and generally came up with some good money overall. LTL can be trying on the driver at times, but it can also pay.