User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Holy cow Steve our idea took off like a rocket :shock: I think we screwed up by posting on the internet, man I hate pirating! :lol: :lol:
Old 10-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

my wife does this, heck I even do it some times when i`m bored.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

What does a service like this usually cost neighbor?.....ughhh I mean brian. :lol:
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Board Regular

I have a question for you. Im not trying to pry and Im sorry for your situation that you are in. But are you working? I dont like to admit it because of the hit to my ego, but my wife has saved us from disaster more times than I can count. She didnt know much about the line of work she is in when she started some 5 yrs ago, but she started out at around 9.00 an hour and is now making over 13.00. The main reason Im asking is because I know that o/os dont usually make a steady income and some weeks you may make 2k and others 200 after repairs and fuel. And, if you are having problems with late house payments, I am thinking that the lack of steady income may be a problem. I am not saying you (the wife) are to blame or anything. But if you arent working, I would rethink my thinking about what he needs to do to get you all out of trouble. I know my own wife has lifted a huge burden off my shoulders the day she started working. Even if its just 14k a yr, its 14k more a year than you would have had. But I really hope everything works out for you guys.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

Try Schneider Brokerage, The Allen Lund Company, and CRST Logistics. I get my better loads from allen Lund and CRST Logistics. I make good money with Schneider on Short Loads usually 200 miles or less.

http://www.trukz.com
Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
What does a service like this usually cost neighbor?.....ughhh I mean brian. :lol:
75$ flat rate, if its something special and she`d have to pull permits of course it`d be more.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I'm really surprised there arn't people like this all over the place. I would think it would be a great stay at home job. Not just handling new people but experienced vets also. I've heard first hand from seasoned drivers that they sat for many hours looking for a load because they forgot to repost there truck for the next load. Then they spent lots of time on the laptop looking for another load then waiting for faxes to come in, sign them then faxing back out. Calling the insurance company so they can fax your insurance documents to the broker or shipper so you can be qualified if your not already. It's a lot of time and effort that anyone could do. I do know of one person that has a guy that handles him and I think he pays something like $25 or $50 per load. I would think someone handling 10 drivers could pull in a decent pay per week doing this.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbear36
Hi all,

I know that I wasn't very specific so let me go into a little detail. My husband has been driving truck since he was 18 and is now 41. For the last 6-7 years he has been driving leased onto a company as an owner operator making very good money but he wanted to do it under his own authority. YOUR RIGHT, he did it all wrong, they didn't have a nest egg to start with and that's where the problems started. Especially when they started when the fuel rates were ridiculous. . Yes, we The reason we can't go to a company is because our finances were that of when he was an operator leased on. We became very comfortable with that income, not really beyond our means but then you have to add in back taxeshave done things the wrong way and we were finally getting those taxes taken care of until the own authority came about. I believe that he does have some good brokers that he can call but he always seems to have trouble on the backhauls. No matter where he seems to go, there isn't something coming back to where he needs to be to pick up the next load. He is going from west chicago to bedfordheights, OH and getting $775 but then he might take a load from CH Robinson back for $450. Seems ok? However, there have been repairs and then you add in the fuel and I'm not sure those are the loads to be taking. I have searched the internet high and low yesterday and tried to build new relationships with brokers to have more than 5 or 6 options because we have to save the house. I'm just not sure what we are doing wrong, I know there is money to be made this way.

Thank you for reading and giving any advice you may have, I do appreciate it
Im sorry, but I think you have to put your priorities back in check. Everyone has had it rough here and there, but if it means loosing your home just to "stay comfortable" with your current income, then I believe thats your problem. But since money was decent then, why not lease back on with someone? Im not trying act better than you or not, trust me, I-we have had it rough. However if you cant afford-you cant afford. You cant spend more than you bring in, no matter how comfortable it makes you. Getting authority is going into business for yourself. It takes a special breed, it takes long hours, etc
Old 10-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Sharbear, I feel for your situation and my wife has expressed to me your same feelings. Enough of the pity party. You need to see what you guys are doing right. You said that you help with the two drivers, so I ass-u-me that you have two trucks on the road. Is that correct? Either way, your company has to stretch out the runs, run Wisconsin to Texas, Wisconsin to Florida, Wisconsin to Pensylvania. Try to get some direct shippers. Wisconsin is a GREAT freight state. You are sitting on a gold mine. Chicago to Cleveland for $775 aint too shabby depending on what trailer youre pulling and what route you take. $775 + $450 over two days for 700 mile round trip is $1.75 /mile. You cant expect this everyday and in your dire situation you need to consider longer loads and running a little hot. Chicago to Dallas for $1500-1800 in 1.5 days and take a cheap load back to get another Chicago to Dallas $1500-1800 youve now made a minimum $3500 in a week. Also you have to prebook loads for your husband before he gets empty.

Also, you may need to refinance your home ASAP to prevent foreclosure. I hope that you guys can rebound from this. You are in it now and there is no reason to fail. We will keep you in our prayers and you do the same. You can get out of this with hardwork and a positive attitude. If not, what do you want for the trucks?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Board Icon